Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

130gr BBI + 3.8gr Solo 1000 = 131PF?

pivoproseem

the gun: CZ 75 SP-01

the load: 130 Black Bullets International Moly (actually weigh 132gr)

3.8 gr. Solo 1000

1.11 OAL

Fed SP primer

I shot 7 rounds with it..

with a 124 Precision Delta JHP, it takes 4.4gr to make power. 4.6= 131PF with the 124s

Are the BBIs that slick or is my chrono full of crap?????

Edited by pivoproseem

well you have a heavier bullet, you also have a pretty short load, also I believe the black color shows up on the chrono better,

In my case with a .40 180 gr Master Blasters make Major over 4.2 grs Tight group, but Precision Delta 180 FMJ's take 4.7

BBI's typically take several tenths less powder than with jacketed bullets but I would prefer to establish a velocity/power factor and then make sure that every round exceeds that level. I even carry it a bit further and shoot 2 groups of 10 where the lowest 3 rounds must exceed my established limit. I know the rule says to use the average of the 1st 3 then the average of the highest 3 of the first 6 should the 1st 3 fail but I don't like to get that close. A chronograph only needs to stay within +/- 4% of the match ammo average from the 1st day to stay in the match and there is a SHOULD in the sentence involving power factor.

Your results are reasonable. It always takes a little more powder for jacketed bullets. Lead goes through a barrel easier than jackets and the moly is supposed to slick up the lead. I've never had any straight 130 grain lead to compare to moly but, I like not having to mess with the lube and clean the dies and moly does take care of that. I find that the moly is more accurate than lead, and runs neck and neck with most jacketed bullets. I just haven't found a real accurate lead load for any 9mm.

I run BBI's in my SP-01 with good results. I use 4.5 grains of WSF at 1.125 OAL. 1.11 seems a little short but, I had some feeding problems at 1.140 so I shortened it up a little. My standard M&P takes everything with no problems but, it is not as accurate as the CZ.

You PF is good with the bullets that weigh 132 grains but, watch out, there are some 129.8 bullets in there. If you had a handfull of the skinny bullets you will be cutting it very close. I've gotten in the habit of weighing several bullets and setting all of the 132 grain bullets aside. I load them and put them all in one box. I don't change anything else, just have a box that I know will go 132 grains when I get to the chrono.

At A3 my son was shooting BBI 180 grain bullets in .40 and the bullet they pulled went 177.7. He made the board for PF 165.0. In his checking he had never seen one go less that 180 and most were 182 grains. Murphy's law I suppose.

I ran 20 more through the chrono. Got 130 pf, with a fairly small SD. I have weighed about 50 of the bullets..they are all 132gr. I was just a little surprised at the small charge required to make 130PF. I haven't shot these types of bullets in 9mm before, and this is my first experience with BBI bullets. I've run some Precision 185s in my 40 Tanfo Match, but I didn't notice much difference in the charge required between those and the Berry's I'd run before.

I ran 20 more through the chrono. Got 130 pf, with a fairly small SD. I have weighed about 50 of the bullets..they are all 132gr. I was just a little surprised at the small charge required to make 130PF. I haven't shot these types of bullets in 9mm before, and this is my first experience with BBI bullets. I've run some Precision 185s in my 40 Tanfo Match, but I didn't notice much difference in the charge required between those and the Berry's I'd run before.

Sounds like you are alright. The BBI is a little heavier and that makes a difference. There aren't many references out there for 130 grain lead, lot of data for 124 and 125 though. The heavier the bullet the less powder it takes. I have no experience with Solo in 9mm but, the chrono tells the story and your load looks good.