Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slurpy Sti Rm

Newguy

I finally got my STI RM to work in my Briley. For the first 40 rounds or so it worked fine, but then all of a sudden it got what could best be described as slurpy--a very pronounced kind of slingshot secondary impulse. Is this normal? What can I do to cure it?

newguy,

Do you shoot SWC's? I noticed that very same thing in my gun with SWC's. Switched to FMJ's or HP's and the problem went away. The thing about the RM is that closes the slide very softly, so the rebated portion of the SWC caused a slight hiccup in slide travel. If you're not shooting wadcutters, is you're disconnector hole dirty and/or plugged up? I mean, is the disconnector able to move freely?

Thanks for the advice. I went back to the KISS principle and stuck my tungsten rod back in. Don't know that I see much of a difference between that and the RM. I somehow gotta learn to stop searching for the holy grail and believe that the improvement will come from more practice not more equipment.

i just sent my rm in for replacement yesterday after the head of the sppring sleeve separated. chris at sti was very accomadating about replacement. got about 4k out of it.put the full length one piece back in where it will stay now. i really do like the feel of the rm but reliability is paramount for me. B)

• 2 months later...

I had kind of the same problem but not exactly. I have put about 400-500 rounds through mine, BUT, if I clean the gun, the slide will then want to stick. After I put about 50-200 rounds through it, it doesn't happen anymore, until I clean the gun again. THis only happens when the gun is newly cleaned.

By slide locking back, I mean I can pull the slide back close to slide lock and without engaging the slide stop, the slide will stick open and I have to pull or slightly tap the back of the slide to put it back in battery. But this only happens when it is clean. When it is dirty, it doesn't seem to happen.

Any ideas?

Kevin

Kevin,

That's an easy one ... DON'T CLEAN THE GUN!

How hard can that be?? It's a 1911 and mine runs well over 6 months with my shooting schedule ... it would last 5 years with your schedule ... or do you even have a schedule??

Leo ;)

I see Leo has gone into the comedian business, LOLOLOLOL. You're right, I don't have a shooting schedule. Unfortunately, work has been too busy, BUT, I think I just might get out to shoot this weeked. We are shooting WAC this SUnday, right?

Yes I know, don't clean the gun and I know you only clean it once a year. Maybe I should try that. The latest update: I believe it happens when I take it out (like cleaning) and then put it back in. Rounds later it seems to work fine. I really like the recoil out of the gun, but don't like the slide issue or the idea that every time I turn around, I hear of someone else's that has broken.