Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide to frame fit change

ogiebb

i brought my newly purchased SV limited to get sights installed today, the "Smith" placed it in a vice without taking the top end off and now the slide to frame fit on my SV is much tighter than the usual...its so tight that i have a hard time trying to field strip it and reassemble it

should i be worried about this? or should i just shoot it until it loosens up a bit? thanks

You should investigate why you are having trouble stripping the gun before you do any slide/frame lapping. I find it hard to believe that a vise tightened the slide any at all. Is it possible the slide stop was in the vise and was bent a little?

VERY hard to tighten a slide in a vise w/ the frame in it. Look for other problems.

Benny,

that was the only thing he did , a couple of days after i went back there again he put some lapping compound and cycled the slide until it was smooth again....is this still fine or will i encounter some fit problems in the long run?..Thanks

Edited by ogiebb

VERY hard to tighten a slide in a vise w/ the frame in it. Look for other problems.

Benny,

that was the only thing he did , a couple of days after i went back there again he put some lapping compound and cycled the slide until it was smooth again....is this still fine or will i encounter some fit problems in the long run..Thanks

I agree with Benny that it is VERY hard to tighten the slide just putting it in a vise w/ the frame in it. If he actually did tighten the slide that way I would venture to say it won't be long before you have issues with the gun, because the slide shouldn't take a new set by doing that as if it is fit properly it will hardly even deflect.

Benny,

that was the only thing he did , a couple of days after i went back there again he put some lapping compound and cycled the slide until it was smooth again....is this still fine or will i encounter some fit problems in the long run..Thanks

I agree with Benny that it is VERY hard to tighten the slide just putting it in a vise w/ the frame in it. If he actually did tighten the slide that way I would venture to say it won't be long before you have issues with the gun, because the slide shouldn't take a new set by doing that as if it is fit properly it will hardly even deflect.

What issues would i encounter?

eh if its ruined, its ruined...im not sending it to be refinished anymore i wanted to IONBOND it but it will be a waste if i do it now,ill just shoot the snot out of it until its loose or it breaks then get a new top end or a new gun....Thanks guys

Edited by ogiebb

You may want to look at the frame itself.

You did not specify, but if the vise was tightened at the frame area it could have bent the frame.

This might cause a slide stop insertion problem and make the gun tight at the bent area. I's look closely at the frame and check it out. Hope all's well.

Benny,

Well, if the slide bends that easily inward, it most likely will loosen quickly too. I would bet a dollar that he didn't bend the slide if it an SVI slide.

Benny,

Well, if the slide bends that easily inward, it most likely will loosen quickly too. I would bet a dollar that he didn't bend the slide if it an SVI slide.

im still hoping its fine and wont be loose that quickly...when i was at the shop he placed the entire gun in a vise and installed the sights, i cycled the gun and it was fine but when i came home to dissamble the gun it was very hard to take the slide off the frame and vice versa...he put some lapping compound and cycled it until it was smooth, its just thinking if there will be a long term effect to it

yep the gun is a Full Lenght Factory SV pistol

Edited by ogiebb