Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My worst nightmare returning from Nationals

Airports scan suitcases by Xray, which reveals to those in the baggage handling area exactly what is in your otherwise innocuous suitcase.

I was once subject to special attention because a 'sniffer' air sampling device detected powder residue where there was no ammo, powder or primers. Explained that firearms are from time to time in contact with gunpowder, leaving inert residue which their sniffer had detected, so all was good.

Incidentally, I was treated courteously throughout this experience.

I fly with a couple Open guns a fair number of times each year and haven't had too much trouble, but I'm pretty paranoid about it and do whatever I can to deter casual theft-- I lock the inner gun case to my outer luggage (a big just-under-50lb monster that's hard to sneak off with), plus the guns themselves to the case, plus a good locking case (the SFP is my favorite; very tough to get into without major power tools), then make the outer luggage distinctive and watch for it being loaded if at all possible. So far that's worked, with the exception of one time American sent a box of Glocks & ammo on to Tokyo when I was just going to Dallas :o

Well, all's well that ends well. See if they will reimburse you for mental stress they induced.

I hated the idea of the added costs, but I have sent computer equipment on ahead of me via UPS when traveling because it was too much to carry on and I couldn't afford the chance of it being delayed. I would be more worried about guns.

With all the times I have traveled, I have only had two bags go astray and in both cases, I had them delivered to me within 6 hours. But with all the cutbacks going on right now and the over crowded planes, I would have to think twice about carrying a gun with me.

Edited by Graham Smith

Three of us flew down to Atlanta for a match from Philadelphia, on the way back we were bumped off our flight but our luggage went anyway. The only flight home they could find flew to Lehigh Internationial and hour from Philadelphia were they sent our luggage. We were promissed they would lock our luggage up until we got there and have cabs waiting to drive us to Philadelphia. NONE OF THIS HAPPENNED. When we got back to the airport in Philadelphia all of our cases were on the floor in the baggage claim area. :surprise: We got lucky nothing was missing

I do not believe UPS will ship handguns unless they are going to a FFL holder and you show them the paperwork...at least that is how the UPS main shipping office in Mesa, AZ handles it. Your incident does not even hold a candle to the temporary loss of a full auto M16A1 and Sterling SMG that went missing for 5 days on a airline flight a few years back. Talk about stress! They were found.

If you are traveling with guns I would suggest the following...Check in early and make sure the right bag tag with the correct final destination is placed on the bag. Believe it or not you are safer putting your stuff in a Big Rifle Case (Pelican)....the airline is required to hand deliever the case from the airplane to the baggage office and you have to show ID to pick it up. Put your cell # on the case, and finally many insurance companies (I use USAA) will insure the guns with a floater. That way if something does go very wrong...let the insurance company worry about it.

many insurance companies (I use USAA) will insure the guns with a floater. That way if something does go very wrong...let the insurance company worry about it.

Two hours before we left for Las Vegas, my wife thought it would be smart to insure

the two open guns we were travelling with - called our insurance company and they

said to insure them at the airport - couldn't find anyone at Stewart (Newburgh, NY)

Airport who would insure them, so we sweated it out - hoping the guns (in one case)

wouldn't get lost. We made it this time, but will try to contact insurance company

earlier if I'm ever invited back to the Nationals (I doubt it).

Glad to hear you got your gun back - that was one thought I had when we flew, is

that in flying for 45 years, I've had luggage delayed, but never missing for good.

But, I'm still going to take out some type of insurance if I ever fly with my guns

again.

I'm glad you got everyting! Whenever I fly through Atlanta, especially on Delta, I've come to expect a problem with my flight or luggage.

Busiest Airport in the World+Worst Airline in the world=High probability of headache provoking issues.

I've flown a couple of times in a friend's private jet and it becomes VERY PAINFUL to ever fly commercial again.