Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bizarre Network Problem

This morning, brianenos.com would not load on my computer, but any other website would. Nor could I log into root on the server via SSH. And the same on bigJoni's machine. Both are connected to the router with ethernet cables.

But, brianenos.com would load on a laptop that is connected to the same router via WiFi. So I rebooted the router and then all was good.

Could be the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Can anyone explain how that could happen?

be

This morning, brianenos.com would not load on my computer, but any other website would. Nor could I log into root on the server via SSH. And the same on bigJoni's machine. Both are connected to the router with ethernet cables.

But, brianenos.com would load on a laptop that is connected to the same router via WiFi. So I rebooted the router and then all was good.

Could be the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Can anyone explain how that could happen?

be

Possibly the two wired boxes IP tables got messed up somehow and updated with bad info because they were connected via wire. Then the OS, thinking it knows best, waits to go refresh it until it's timeout expires and just sits there with a bad routing table until then OR you reset the router which forces a refresh ...in most cases.

When you rebooted the router it reassigned the IP's (if you are using dynamic IP's, which most people do with home and SOHO routers :) ) and then the next thing it did was ask for, and push out new DNS information on the IP's of any site you tried to go to because its internal routing tables were wiped by the reboot.

oddly enough, this type of thing happens a lot more often than most people think. Just most of the time your ISP's DNS tables self-correct before you notice it.

Since the laptop was on a WIFI it was probably "asleep" until you used it and it went out and requested the IP information directly from your ISP to pull up the site because it's timeout had expired and it's routing info was out of date.

Edited by Classic_jon

Actually that description doesn't make sense because he could connect to other WAN address's.

Brian, if it happens again, go to your C: prompt , then type ipconfig/flushdns That will reset your machine with your router.

Without more diagnostic information, It is still a bit difficult to say exactly what happened.

Actually that description doesn't make sense because he could connect to other WAN address's.

Brian, if it happens again, go to your C: prompt , then type ipconfig/flushdns That will reset your machine with your router.

Without more diagnostic information, It is still a bit difficult to say exactly what happened.

"c prompt"? now that's funny. :P

Edited by outerlimits

There's probably a similar command that works in Mac's Terminal app.

be

be

Ummmmmm................ I will gracefully bow out. I know nothing about Mac's........ I still felt that the problem was with your computer and not the router since your laptop connected via wifi which is after the router.

My $.02 is spent!

be

Ummmmmm................ I will gracefully bow out. I know nothing about Mac's........ I still felt that the problem was with your computer and not the router since your laptop connected via wifi which is after the router.

My $.02 is spent!

I'm sorry, I confused you by my original post. I forgot to say that before I rebooted the router, I restarted my computer, which did not help.

be

be

My $.02 is spent!

I'm sorry, I confused you by my original post. I forgot to say that before I rebooted the router, I restarted my computer, which did not help.

be

I assumed that you had rebooted. I was also trying to stay Operating system agnostic so as to not put my foot in my mouth...any more than I already do normally! :)

Most of the time if your router has an IP table of the websites you have been to then, when your computers ask for a site, unless their local tables timeout has hit, they will go to the closest table they can get to. The closest table is normally your router. At that point, if the routers IP tables have a bad record, rebooting the PC does nothing but pull the bad table in a second time. For some reason though, with wireless, the table times out a bit faster and it will normally go to your Internet providers DNS tables instead of the routers...dunno why that it but just something I have seen before. It is also possible that your wireless tables had not refreshed with the "bad table" yet and were still using what it had stored.

When you rebooted the router it cleared the table in the router AND triggered a table refresh of your computers IP tables when it re-assigned them local addresses on your local network.

Matt P. is totally correct in saying that "Without more diagnostic information, It is still a bit difficult to say exactly what happened." What I said above is purely a guess, an educated one, but still a guess B)

If you want some more info on how DNS/IP tables work try here http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm

It is somewhat "techie" but does a pretty good job of explaining how some of it works.

Side note:

I just got a tub of your standard slide glide and it is neat stuff!

I have one for you , for 2 days I could not get to uspsa.org or brianenos.com but I could go anywhere else. I do the scores for IN21 and have a match coming up and can't get to uspsa to post scores . NOT GOOD !!! :surprise:

I am on embarq.com and I spend 4 hours on the phone with embarq and 3 people later they pinged uspsa.org and it stopped at THEPLANET.COM internet services . They blocked my IP# for some reason so embarq changed my IP and all is good now . :cheers:

anyone want to tell me what I did to them to block me . I know enough to get into trouble about computers and call someone for help.

Thanks Brent

I have one for you , for 2 days I could not get to uspsa.org or brianenos.com but I could go anywhere else. I do the scores for IN21 and have a match coming up and can't get to uspsa to post scores . NOT GOOD !!! :surprise:

I am on embarq.com and I spend 4 hours on the phone with embarq and 3 people later they pinged uspsa.org and it stopped at THEPLANET.COM internet services . They blocked my IP# for some reason so embarq changed my IP and all is good now . :cheers:

anyone want to tell me what I did to them to block me . I know enough to get into trouble about computers and call someone for help.

Thanks Brent

Brent,

Short version is that they probably blocked a whole block of IP addresses that were spamming, spreading a virus, or DDOS attacking one of their servers. It was probably nothing that *you* personally did.

Many admins will blanket block a section of IP's rather than tracking down the one that is doing it and sending the appropriate messages to the other companies admins to solve the issue. I call it "lazy admin-ing" but others say that doing it "right" takes too much time.... And people wonder what one of the reasons why we have such a massive spam e-mail issue is....

BTW, I hate spammers with a passion :D