Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for FFL's

I am buying a pistol thru an FFL who lives in a city only 40 miles from where I live. Is there any ATF regulation which prohibits the FFL dealer from bringing the pistol to my FFL in his car? Thanks

I'm not an FFL, but I believe the answer is No.

Edited by racerba

I am buying a pistol thru an FFL who lives in a city only 40 miles from where I live. Is there any ATF regulation which prohibits the FFL dealer from bringing the pistol to my FFL in his car? Thanks

Is the cty in another state or in-state?

Another state Texas-New Mexico. If it were in state I wouldn't be having this problem!

Across state lines is across state lines, regardless of how the gun crosses the state line. You're still going to have to find an in-state FFL.

There are no regulations preventing the FFL from doing so. The basis is that a friend is an FFL in PA and he's had driven guns from PA to a FFL dealer in NJ to do the transaction. I don't have the federal regs with me at the moment, but I do believe that there is/are provisions in there that states the legality of this.

Oh, I already have the FFL-that isn't the problem. The FFL in NM was told by his inspecting ATF Agent that it was against Federal law for him to personally transport the pistol!!!

I know there is some reg that states that the FFL must conclude their transactions in their place of business but at the same time what would keep him from going to lets say a gun show in El Paso.

In the end though if the ATF says so then the ATF IS ALWAYS RIGHT.... Even if you can show the agent the reg where it is legal. :angry2:

edited for my poor spelling.

Edited by PHolsted

If anyone can post the regulation(s) covering this I would appreciate it. Or tell me where to look. Thanks

I have the ATF reg file but it's too big to post here. Send me your email and i'll send it to you.

Here's an excerp from the reg. Basically:

922 Unlawful acts.

(a) It shall be unlawful

(1) for any person—

(A) except a licensed importer, licensed

manufacturer, or licensed

dealer, to engage in the business of

importing, manufacturing, or dealing

in firearms, or in the course of such

business to ship, transport, or receive

any firearm in interstate or foreign

commerce; or

Edited by racerba

18 U.S.C. 922 states, in part:

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(1) for any person—

(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or

(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that— . . .

It appears to me that a licensed dealer can transport the firearm in interstate commerce without problem.

Also, go to http://www.atf.gov/firearms

[Edited, but don't know where the smiley face came from]

Edited by AR Gunner

• 2 weeks later...