Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 226 Blackwater Tactical 9mm

OldCowDog

I'm running a standard P226R in Production. Same gun but without the cocking serrations up front and the fiber optic sights. The gun has been 100% reliable for me and I never feel like it's holding me back. If you ever want some trigger work, ship your Sig off to Gray Guns Inc. They are the tops. Other than that, just know that the Blackwater isn't production legal with the magwell grips on there. So you'll need to pic up some standard black P226 grips.

If you ever want some trigger work, ship your Sig off to Gray Guns Inc. They are the tops.

I think that BW edition has the SRT (Short Reset Trigger) as standard. Not saying more trigger work may not be warranted...just that it has a shorter reset than the standard 226 (I think).

Regards,

Pooleman

Note that although the Blackwater versions are approved for Production, they must be equipped with "standard" grips.

From the Production list:

No models allowed with Blackwater custom magwell grips, or others that extend down to form magwells.

I also have the 226R. Love mine and 100% reliable. I have been told it is not the best gun for the IDPA/IPSC game, but suites me fine.

The only negative I have is with the position of the slide release. With my grip and hand size I have to be carefule not to have my thumb resting on the slide release. I have had trouble with the slide not locking back on empty since I have had a bit of pressure on the release...

i havea BW sig and used it in two matches and ran great. I used it as a carry gun for about 6 months but went back to my compact 1911. I just like the trigger on my 1911 better, even after a trigger job was done on my sig. If you ever get a chance to meet roger sherman check his sigs out. He does all his own work and his trigger jobs are the bomb. He will be using it at nationals coming up.

• 1 month later...

just made the transition to shooting sig in production- had the slide-release-thumb problem until i just moved the thumb onto the support hand and off the slide. i like the bw model, but would advise against the models with the beavertail- they actually put your hand lower in the gun and increase the height of the bore in your hand... go figure

I have a Sig 226 Sport II SL the version with the weighter frame/slide extention. I use it in IDPA and USPSA after installing and old folded steel slide and a stock Sig barrel. Works well as long as you get used to the very long and heavey firsat shot DA trigger pull. My favorite pistols for IDPA and USPSA are the S&W 99 or S&W M&P9 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
If you ever want some trigger work, ship your Sig off to Gray Guns Inc. They are the tops.

I think that BW edition has the SRT (Short Reset Trigger) as standard. Not saying more trigger work may not be warranted...just that it has a shorter reset than the standard 226 (I think).

Regards,

Pooleman

Having the SRT trigger usually means the guns need more action work than a standard Sig. They do have a relatively short reset, however, the SRT conversion negatively affects the trigger pull in several ways.

First, the SA will be long with about twice as much creep as a normal Sig. They had to increase the SA engagement significantly to keep the guns from doubling since the SRT safety lever/sear arrangement negates the firing pin block between shots, unlike the traditional system.

Second, the SRT equipped guns typically have a lot of overtravel compared to a normal Sig. An internal overtravel stop works wonders for the SRT guns. Also, adding an overtravel stop reduces the reset by the amount of overtravel removed. Usually there is so much overtravel that when you remove it you will cut the already short reset by almost another 50% :o.

Third, the SRT sears are inexplicably different on a certain dimension that makes them drag on the hammer in an area where there shouldn't be any contact. This will induce a pretty severe bump/grind in the DA pull, we call this problem "SRT bump". Once removed, this will improve the DA pull. Almost all SRT kits cause this problem but there are a few that don't due to how the parts fit with the hammer in the frame.

We have never been able to figure out why Sig doesn't return that specific sear dimension to the standard configuration, the only explanation we can think of is that either they aren't aware of/don't care about the problem; or, they do not want to change the mold for the MIM sear (most likely since that can't be cheap). Either way, it was sloppy design in the first place.

Once you do all these things combined with some intensive action work the SRT guns can make for a pretty sweet competition trigger. Once you remove the overtravel and smooth up the SA, the long SA engagement actually makes it pretty easy to prep the trigger hard and make quick shots.

Edited by Rln_21