Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Want To Make Sure I'm Not Nuts...

Billmanweh

I think this more closely resembles a double Bill Drill.

If you figure a 1.5 draw to first shot, .20 splits x5, 2.0 reload seventh shot, another five at .20

5.50 seconds

I think around 6-7 seconds is achievable for a sharpshooter in IDPA

I'm sure Master Bill can break five seconds easily :P

(We won't even talk about Jerry! :wacko: )

Well if I remember correctly Jerry did that in 2.99 starting from the first shot and without a draw. So if you add 0.8 for the draw, that would make it 3.79 sec.

So I would say unless you happen to be talking to Jerry Miculek anything under 3.5 is insanely low and is worthy of a BS call.

Edited because the content was little more than a SWAG, lol.

Billmanweh:

How about letting us in on the rest of the story. Lemme guess, some dude you know claimed to be able to pull this little drill off in some insanely low time frame or are you looking for some realistic times for a goal? As you scroll down you might want to consider that spook is a no BS type of guy and he is an accomplished revolver shooter. If the times you have in mind are substantially lower than what spook posted you are fairly safe to holler BS. :D

I've done this drill a week ago on 3 "classic" IPSC turtle targets. Lowest time was 5.14 seconds, 3xC 9xA. That was with a 1.71 reload. 625-2 revolver .45ACP major (175PF). My splits still suck wind. Worst time was 5.31 with 4xC. Draw on all runs was in the 1.00-1.05 region. I think it's possible under 4 sec. Under three=no way in hell :)

spook:

I know I can scream right through the drill warmed up along side some very good shooters. There is a huge difference between saying I have done this drill warmed up in x.x seconds and saying I can do the drill on demand, cold, anytime, any place, in x.x seconds.

I don't have enough gumption to claim sub two second reloads on demand, but I can do them in 2.5 seconds. I guess I really do need to practice. However, if I hit one as good as yours, we would be in the same neigboorhood. BTW, I would holler BS long before 4 seconds, lol. This thread has me all fired up to go try it. I'll sneak out to the range after work and let you know what I come up with cold (it's about 20 degrees here). :D

Ron, thanks. I did the drill warmed up at the end of a practice session. I'm the only revoshooter in our club, and like competing with some of the open/standard shooters. It's great fun.

You're right that being warmed up etc. makes a great difference, but cold under 6 is no problemo. I can hit a 2.0 reload on demand and a 1.25 draw shouldn't be a problem. And yes, my transitions are just as fast/lame ;) as my splits on close targets.

Not knowing you personally, Ron, I'm quite sure from your posts you will have NO problem breaking the 5.6 range. B)

That's just a guess on my part but I bet you can do it cold or not.....the thing to remember is that it is at 7 yards, not ten - you might not think the extra 9' would make a difference but I bet it does.

I got off early so I grabbed my stuff and went the whole half a mile to the range. I ran several magazines full of my new 9mm load through my production gun to make sure they would feed and shot them over the chronograph. FWIW, a 147 Laser Cast over 3.0 of Tite Group makes minor with a little to spare and is oh so soft.

I strapped on the wheelgun and let it rip. First run sucked canal water with a blown reload. Second run came in at 5.23 seconds (.89 draw saved my bacon). Lots of C hits but everything on the target. Good enough so I quit.

Based on what I know about shooting, I would say anyone claiming to do this drill in under 4 seconds had better be named Jerry...maybe Richard. Like spook said:

Under three=no way in hell

1.2 seconds.......hmm. That would be a "decent" draw time. To do a draw, 6 shots a reload and another 6 in 1.2 seems physically impossible. I think I can't even maneuver the gun from draw to "reload" and back on the target that fast.