Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

INDEX OR TRIGGER CONTROL

What would you pick?

here's the comparison

P9

1) I can index to the spot NATURALLY

2) I can shoot swingers faster coz it comes back faster.

3) trigger control is very well when it comes to hammering the target close

but medium to longer shots are longer splits.

4) 38 supercomp EXPENSIVE

5) EXCITED to shoot it wich came to disadvantage becuase i was too agreesive.

but I did look good!

STI

1) to INDEX,I would have to wait and most of the time I over swing or dot dips down?

2) To shoot swingers,gun is softer and doesnt come back soon enough. I have to wait for the gun to settle then shoot.

3) Trigger control is better than P9 co its shorter...I still dip down ocationally?

Hammering a target close ,I have to look..sometimes one shot is not there.

4) cheaper 9mm major.

5) Not too excited coz I have had this toy for a while.

WHAT WOULD YOU PICK AND WHAT WOULD YOU SHOOT AT A BIG MATCH.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Whatever you shoot, you need to index it well. Screw "natural"...train something to make it become the new "natural".

How does your dot track on the two guns? Is the STI a shorty?

P9- since V12 is the shorter slide dot tracking with my 9major is THE SAME.

I would think that V8 is much softer than my v12 coz the slide is full 5.0

STI- has better trigger movement coz its shorter than P9. P9 you slap the

trigger. it is a 5.0 inch open not a SHORTIE.

Flex, I shot the p9 and man, when I shot the paper target then steel, I just kinda went thru it and got them all! gun goes there without me waiting for it to settle?

compared to my STI, I have to be a bit patient. either that or maybe I M JUST TOO ECITED ABOUT MY NEW TOY!! ever get that feeling?

It sounds like the STI isn't tuned to your grip. Why not work on tuning the gun or the load to make it shoot better and be more ballanced to you?

Nice...where do I start? the STI gun runs 100% with all the load and springs on it.

dont want to fool around too much coz this is running RELIABLY.

I did notice that with an STI aluminum grip, INDEX got better? but that is on my back up open gun

that I still have to tune..again, its too late to swap that on my polymer STI coz Nationals is in

2 weeks.

I guess I'll stick to BETTER TRIGGER CONTROL GUN and shoot STI. I have been shooting the STI for years

than the P9...but it seems that when I pick up the p9, theres no adjustment for me and fits my hand and index

better than STI.

• 3 weeks later...

this is very similar to my very recent experience, my custom Para 1911 hicap vs my glock 35 w/ kkm barrel and vanek trigger both in .40.

w/ the Para, I have to exert much effort to return its sights to the target after a shot and alignment is not always acceptable.

w/ the glock 35, w/ same load, the gun returns on its own and the alignment is always good to go.

The efforts in my Para were realized and felt only after I compared it to my shooting the glock.

I started IPSC shooting in 2003 w/ the glock platform until 2006 (3yrs) and shifted to 1911 up to the present (also, 3yrs.) And I practiced religiously. But sometime last month I brought out my glock after several years of virtual hibernation, and to my amazement, the glock 35 handled better and pointed better than my Para for me. Even w/o shooting it for several years! To prove it to myself further, after testing its reliability w/ my recent loads and w/o any practice at all, I used it in a local IPSC competition. Wow! It handled itself very well and held its own against every standard shooter in the entire match!

What gives? I think its in the grip configuration of the glock that has the advantage over the 1911 in recoil management. W/ the more slanted grip of the glock, the hand is naturally positioned more forward w/c lend more leverage against its recoil w/o much effort from the shooter. And w/ the hand position higher in the grip, its slide returns fast compared to a 1911. On the other hand, the 1911's trigger is lighter and shorter due to its single action nature, an advantage over a glock's double action, resulting in a faster and lighter trigger.

So, the equation is = while the trigger of a 1911 seemed faster to release and reset, I have to wait for the slower return of its sights before I can release the succeeding shot. In contrast, the glock trigger is felt a bit slower compared to its sights returning on target faster that I feel/see the sights are always ready anytime for my succeeding shot. Now w/c of the two is easier: to learn the recoil management of a 1911 to compliment its fast trigger OR to learn the faster triggering of a glock to compliment its easier/faster recoil recovery?

Days and weeks after that match, I was still thinking about that revelation and i was in a dilemma as to w/c will suit my personality and shooting style. Just 3 days ago I made my choice: its the glock over the 1911!

Btw, this is my 1st post after years of reading in this wonderfull forum. Thanks everyone..

Edited by BoyGlock

• 2 weeks later...
but it seems that when I pick up the p9, theres no adjustment for me and fits my hand and index

better than STI.

The P9's do feel great - way better than and SV/TI. But I could just never shoot a P9 as good as an SV/TI past about 15 yards.

Like Flex said, train[/] whatever you want to become natural.

be