Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Master Blaster Bullets (aka Masterblaster)

Guest bulm5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on how these perfom in a Glock?

I use MBs in Glocks - no problem.

200gn 45s through a 36 (though not many of these, the 36 is a handful). 4.3 gns of Clays

147gn 9mm through a 34. I used TG and it stripped the coating, leaded the barrel and the bullets tumbled, i.e. key holed. Same results from a Beretta 92. The MB folks said TG was way too fast. Ramshot not readily available here, but HS-6 is close in a burn rate chart so I switched. Works fine.

I also use the 200gn RN and SWC over 4.3 gn of Clays though 1911s for USPSA and Steel. 10K and counting!

Interesting, it looks like a fast impulse powder like Bullseye will accelerate the bullet suddenly causing it to either not grip the rifling properly or wipe the coating onto the forcing cone. At least that's how it seems to me. A slower powder more gently "pushes" the bullet into the barrel and upsets the base just enough to grip the rifling so it doesn't skid down the barrel and leave lead deposits.

I was looking at trying the 200gr in my 21C. Is the 4.3gr of Clays anything like a high pressure load and what type of velocity with that combo?

Interesting, it looks like a fast impulse powder like Bullseye will accelerate the bullet suddenly causing it to either not grip the rifling properly or wipe the coating onto the forcing cone. At least that's how it seems to me. A slower powder more gently "pushes" the bullet into the barrel and upsets the base just enough to grip the rifling so it doesn't skid down the barrel and leave lead deposits.

I was looking at trying the 200gr in my 21C. Is the 4.3gr of Clays anything like a high pressure load and what type of velocity with that combo?

The coating does come off with the faster powders and it stays in your barrel. I've been dying to shoot one of these into some water and see what condition the coating is in, but I haven't had the opportunity.

Out of the g36 I get about 820 fps (pf of 164000 which doesn't quite make it), but out of a 5" 1911, same load gets about 860 (172000pf). This is not a real high pressure load. I occasionally see a hint of primer flattening.

Use the RN 200 gn. My 36 doesn't feed the regular SWC profile very well.

Gun Geek,

So, no TG with 147gr Masterblasters?

I'll be trying something else then.

Didn't work at all for me - loaded up the rifling in both my glock (34) and my Beretta 92. Both guns key-holed after 10 rounds.

MB guys say TG is way too fast for the 9mm 147s. Clays (which is fast) works great in 45. I tried Clays in the 9mm, but it built pressure too fast - I got flat primers before I made 125000pf so I quit (not wanting to blow up my glock). HS-6 works great.

Been shooting the 147s for a while now (about 5000 rounds) and I really like them - soft shooting, takes down steel, no splatter/jackets coming back. One of my buddies who is a religious Wolf shooter (religiously cheap) is considering handloading because he doesn't want to buy factory 147s!!!

Make sure that if you use the 147's in a Beretta you tell tom. I know that when he first started with the 9mm's he found that the chamber on Beretta's are slightly larger than other pistols especially glocks. I think it is beacuse of the "slide failures" often talked about with Beretta, but rarely if ever seen except on the internet.

It took us (3) batches of different sized bullets to get the keyholing to stop. I think if you tell tom you shoot a beretta he may be able to special size some bullets to a .356 or even .357 to fix the problem. Thats what we ended up doing before I sold the beretta.

Does anybody use the 125 gr 9mm bullet in Open, either USPSA Major or a lighter steel load? I'm wondering whether it leads up the comp at say, 1100 fps for a steel load. And what happens at 1330 fps.

Meanwhile, the .40 180 gr won't drop in my Midway SAAMI maximum cartridge gauge, no matter how much crimp I put on it. It must have something to do with the bullet diameter and undersized case from the EGW die. But they do run in my gun.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody use the 125 gr 9mm bullet in Open, either USPSA Major or a lighter steel load? I'm wondering whether it leads up the comp at say, 1100 fps for a steel load.

I shot some of the 147s through a comped 9mm a while back. After only a few (75 or so) rounds, the comp had some strange buildup in it that was hard to remove. I was loading with N330. I don't know if it would do better with a slower powder. They were a little smokey, but not too bad.

I didn't chrono these, but a using the same powder charge with a plated 147 gave around 1000 fps.

I bought a couple thousand 200 gr RN bullets in .45 and these seem to do okay. They don't lead the barrel and accuracy seems fine (I haven't benched them though). These are also nearly as smokey as lead. But I was shooting these with 231. Again, it would probably do better with a slower powder. I might try that later this week and compare the two.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a 1000 .40 heads (MG JHPs are costing me $$$$$$ at the rate I'm beginning to burn through them). If they work well, I hope to be able to order more in the future.

I did see that it was "for sale" when placing the order.