Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 38 Super

M109R

I have one of the new 627 in 38 super and the awful looking grips overhang the frame from 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch. WOW for that kind of money if the guns are really hand assembled one would think the person installing the grips would catch it, or at least the person test firing it. I am going to replace the grips but still going to try to get S&W to make it right. This kind of craftsmanship is what I would expect to see on a RG or something like that. Is mine the only one, are all the new 627, 38super coming out like that.

my grips dont match up very well either but I

knew from the start they would be throw aways.

I put the houge rubber grips on for now but plan

to buy a Houge big butt grip from another forum

member, Bob Perdue. I am in the process of

wrking up a good 165pf load. 158 gr lrn II Alpha

with 4.2 titegroup wrks best so far.will be trying

Billys bullets next.

I am in the process of

Billys bullets next.

How did you decide to use Titegroup? It seems like it would be too fast a powder. Is there any published data?

I'm also looking for a good major 38 Super load for revolver.

Thanks,

Bill

I am in the process of

Billys bullets next.

How did you decide to use Titegroup? It seems like it would be too fast a powder. Is there any published data?

I'm also looking for a good major 38 Super load for revolver.

Thanks,

Bill

google.com. search on .38 super load data. i use titegrp in my 2011 45acp.started low

using a chronograph and worked my way up. this load runs about 1060 ft/sec.I also have

the lyman/accurate/pet loads books. i chrony all my loads.

4.2 titegroup wrks best so far.will be trying

Billys bullets next.

Tightgroup is hot enough that you will likely get some smoke off of the Billy Bullet. Dave at Precision Bullets doesn't recomend Tightgroup for his coated bullets.

4.2 titegroup wrks best so far.will be trying

Billys bullets next.

Tightgroup is hot enough that you will likely get some smoke off of the Billy Bullet. Dave at Precision Bullets doesn't recomend Tightgroup for his coated bullets.

I also have unique,wst,aa7/ any suggestions. I cant seem to find any of

the vithivori locally that some are using for 38 super. any suggestions.

I got the Super a short while ago and having the devil of a time getting it to group. Have used Bullseye and 231.

Can anyone suggest a good load with 130 gr Raniers?

Or a different powder? I have Clays, 2400, WST and the 2 other powders.

The good folks at Smith even said they'd look at it if I can't get consistent groups but I'm not ready to send it back. It was suggested that my 231 might be too fast a powder and that the bullet might be skipping in the jump to the lands.

I must have fallen out of the stupid tree and hit all the branches trying to work up an accurate load. Never had this problem before.

My 625 just loves Bullseye and 231. One hole accuracy.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'd rather not go looking for other powder as there isn't a place around here and I'd have to spend the hazmat, but will do it if necessary.

Thanks

Bullseye and 231 are 2 of the best powders. Get some 125 gr. jacketed hollowpoints and run 5.1 of bullseye or 5.4 of 231. The bullets you have are the real problem, not the gun or the powder. Edit to add - Those powder charges are for .38 special. You will probably need less for .38 super since that is a shorter case. I think the 9mm or .38 super bullet will be 124 gr. Anyway, try some JHP bullets. I have had nothing but trouble from the copper

plated ones.

Edited by Toolguy

My load has been 4.9 thru 5.1 gr of 231, but you might be onto something with the Rainiers. Maybe I should try other bullets as you suggested.

My 625 loves Bullseye and 231, but thats been with Tennessee lead bullets.

Alan

That is what I'm talking about!