Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flex ? On Ohio Gun Purchase

I thought there currently were no laws against one individual transfering a firearm to another individual. :huh: I know people that buy and sell firearms all the time with no FFL in the middle of the transaction. Is this because it is across a State line or something?

If it is crossing state lines then it must go from one FFL to another FFL. If both parties are Ohio residents then you do not need to go through an FFL. You do however have to ask to see an OHIO driver’s license or identification card to ensure that they are an Ohio resident. I am sure that if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Jarrod.

Unless the rules have changed recently, interstate sale of a firearms require at a minimum, the buyer must receive the firearm from an FFL.

The seller can ship the firearm to the buyer's FFL. The seller must have a signed copy of the FFL license of the receiver.

The buyer does not have to use an FFL to send the firearm to an FFL. It is prudent for the buyer to understand the FFL charge for receiving and logging the sale. Some charge a flat fee of $25 on up to and including a % of the value of the gun.

Typically, FedEx requires either the receiver or the sender be an FFL and it must go next day air. UPS has its rules for declaring, shipping and insuring a firearm.

HKPRO.com has probably the best reference material on the rules for interstate sales of a firearm.

There are a couple of ways of circumventing the federal legal requirements. Getting arrested for violating the law is not a good thing-little things like a $10,000 fine and jail time are a huge incentive not to circumvent the law.

It is really quite easy to get a signed copy of the license and send it to the FFL.

The seller must have a signed copy of the FFL license of the receiver.

It is not required by Federal law that a private party seller have a copy of the FFL. It would be a good idea, but it's not required. This website allows individuals to check the validity of a license: ATF FFL eZ Check. If you can get the license number (or first three and last five digits), name of the company on the license, and address of the licensee, and verify them against the information provided by the eZ Check, you've done more than enough according to federal regulations.

Just my 2 cents - In Oregon you can sell to private party with no identification, no nothing. I see no need to get the government involved unless you have to have your gun registered to you in the state you live. If you have to have the gun registered to you then, consider a new state. "Don't ask, don't tell" didn't Clinton say that?

What strikes me as nuts about this, is that if I lived in Idaho and wanted to sell my gun to a private party, face to face, in Montana, and was *in* Montana conducting the transaction - that's illegal.

If I move to Montana, and sell the same guy the same gun, that's legal.

Ooooookaaay.....

If I want to buy a gun from sombody outside of Ohio, and they are going to ship that gun, then I have to have the gun shipped to an FFL holder. Once my local FFL holder gets the gun, I have to go in and fill out the form for the federal background check. The local FFL holder will then charge me whatever fee they feel is the going rate.

I know that the good folks at Rayner's Range only charge $10 for this.

If your buddy is close enough for a person to person transfer then you will have to check the laws of MI and OH to see what you can do there.

I am pretty sure that the shipper does NOT have to go through an FFL also...unless that is an individual state requirement.

Well, I checked with my local FFL, and he said you can sell to me, and I can sell to you.... no problem. He said the only thing that we have to be careful of is to make sure that you don't sell a handgun to someone under 21. I'm not sure if it is the crossing of the State line that causes the problem here or not.

Oh and Flex, the 'good people at Rayners' are very competitive only charging $10 bucks for a transfer. OTOH, my FFL only charges $0 for a transfer, and is one hell of a lot closer (sitting in an office in the back of our building)! :D

BDH...$0 is a good deal.  Do they include dinner?

Well, you've got me..... no dinner included.

If Rayner's still allow you to eat at their house, I assume that they took away your baked potato, or at least they no longer let you throw them! :P