Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are JHP OK for steel challenge?

bofe954

Did some testing at the club a couple of years back using steel and surrounding it with targets.

JHP and RN same weight and speed were the same.

Faster bullets gave smaller shrapnel.

JHP 22 LR pretty much turn to dust, subsonic is scary.

Big slow lead bullets were the worst at coming back at you.

Normal physics are still at work as far as deflection off steel at angles.

Pitted steel will even send 223 bullets straight back at your unprotected arms. Note; goes in deep to.

Pitted steel will even send 223 bullets straight back at your unprotected arms. Note; goes in deep to.

At what distance did you get hit with frags from .223 shooting steel?

15 yards----Yes I know <_< neat scar though :wacko:

15 yards----Yes I know <_< neat scar though :wacko:

Shooting steel with .223 (AR I assume) at 15 yards?!?

Darwin...cleanup range #3. (unless you're military or LEO and were shooting at a person who just happened to have steel near them or between them and you)

Yes an AR..

One of those classic moments where during walk through. I mention the plate is WAY to close for rifle to the stage designer, "ninja tactical type thats not a rifle guy" and he states it wont be a problem as 223 rounds turn to dust upon hitting steel.

Turns out he is right about the bullet, however cheep steel and 3K+ FPS pills don't mix, and while RO'ing a group of newer shooters I end up with a 1/2 moon piece of "rifle steel" in the arm I was holding the timer with.

An hour of digging later my wife retrieves the magnetic steel bullet fragment? Really didnt want to go to the hospital and explain what happened :ph34r:

Later upon taking the "rifle steel" to a local testing lab I find out the club was robbed and its pistol steel.