Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitness And Aging

SherlockWV

After responding to a post by Bill N. & reading another thread that Brian started I have been giving some thought to the matter of aging and physical fitness. Much has been said and written about proper diet, and general aerobic excercise for both our hearts & cholesterol. But I want to narrow it down a bit. At age 58 my reflexes are not what they used to be but they are not as bad as some of the young guns I have run into in their 30's. Eye to hand coordination and balance are two areas that seem to get overlooked and....even with age, we can enhance. A Dr. friend and I were talking one day about how many of the elderly fell down. The point that I was trying to make was that there was no emphasis on balance disciplines. Sure enough two nights later the Discovery Channel had a program about that very thing.

We who are getting up in age can enhance our shooting & overall physical abilities if we would work on it. On one thread I mentioned a "speed bag" which is great but even playing ping pong is a great help. Doing aerobics that challange our lower body strengthens the conective tissue thus helping balance. We have training drills for drawing, indexing, calling shots etc. but my point is that all of these drills can be enhanced using other physical excercises. I guess I am just not ready to roll over and I want to improve my shooting as well as being present at my Grandaughter's wedding. So...I would appriciate any input regarding this matter. I take the position that there aren't any "reasons" for not working out, only "excuses". :D

Nearly everyone can fashion a physical therapy or personal exercise program. And we find as we age that we can't do without it. The body thrives on bursts of increased circulation and muscle movement to sustain, maintain and increase strength. The very least we can do for ourselves is SUSTAIN a little almost-daily exercise to MAINTAIN what tends to diminish with age, and to INCREASE the frequency of exercise over time, if possible, to alleviate what age eventually does to us. Aging is a drag sometimes, but's REALLY a drag if you never exercise.

We're all being asked to live a bit beyond what might be a sensible number of years anymore (it wasn't that long ago that the average life-span was about 40-45!), and so the need for exercise becomes more and more important (like it or not) as time passes. The benefits of even a modest exercise regimen is incredible. If you see seniors out walking every day, then you know they've stayed hip and know what's right--and are DOING it. If you see younger folks out walking or running or whatever, all you can do is hope they don't STOP doing so when middle age sets in along with laziness.

Laziness will kill you.

SherlockWV,

While I like to complain about being an old man, truth is I'm fast approaching 35. Depending on your perspective, I'm either a young whippersnapper or a responsible mature adult. Neither of which, I'm very fond of. After a fairly athletic life which encompassed various sports, martial arts, weightlifting, law enforcement, etc.., I've noticed a serious deficiency. Its the root of 90% of all injuries and long term health issues. It's the erosion of your flexibility. As you get older your muscles lose flexibility. Think about the most common injuries people sustain, a pulled muscle, neck injuries, lower back, hamstrings, etc.., they all can be prevented with an appropriate stretching program. The most ironic thing about your flexibility is that is probably the easiest thing to work on. I have decided to swallow my pride and in the spirit of the BE forum, open my mind. I'm going to start taking Yoga classes. They offer a once a week session at my place of employment. I will be the only man in the class. When I consider how it will help my overall health and my shooting in particular, I'm excited about my new off-season program. Consider all those low ports/ barrels/ under the 2x4/ off balance shooting positions we encounter. Getting into those shooting positions fast and efficiently can only help my scores. Having flexibility will help me be a better shooter and a healthier person. I'm willing to swallow a little personal pride and ego for that. I think you should inquire with your personal physician or trainer about a good flexibility program tailored to your specific needs and always remember to get a good stretch before you perform any physical exertion, including shooting. Good luck.

Erik

Erik,

Hmmm... more stretching should be a key for me. Flexibility has always been an issue for me, not having any, that is. Guess it needs to change. Strength without the flexibility to use it is useless. It's embarassing to stand there in formation doing arm circles and know that others can hear your shoulders crunch and grind (another issue). It is also embarassing to not be able to reach your toes without bending your knees. <_<

Silly, simplistic question time. Flexibility, balance, strength and stamina all go hand in hand, right? What would be a good exercise routine to capitalize on each? What do you guys do for your routines? Seems wherever I go, the fundamentals of playing this game follow me. Everything is a balance of two or more things. If you don't strike the balance, you can never reach your fullest potential.

[reply drift] Of course, my mental state influences my ability to perform. When I am aware of what needs to happen and then just do it. No problem. Think about it, get hosed. It works with shooting, running, working and everything else. [/reply drift]

Guess it's back to THE BOOK.

Liota

I would like to suggest that part of it is a mental issue. I am also 58. I refuse to get old. :D I know people my age and much younger that are "OLD". Know what I mean? I refused to go to my high school class reunion this year when they held it at the Senior Center. :wacko:

Back to the physical part now. :D I walk but that isn't enough. I pulled a muscle in my back last year shooting through a low port. Every body else went prone but I thought I could go faster by just scrunching down. <_<

I take Glucosamine so my joints don't crunch much at all now. With my lower weight, I feel better and can do more without being tired. The other day I ran up some stairs just because they were there. B)

I am also interested in whatever I can do to improve my shooting.

Bill Nesbitt

Really appriciate the contributions so far the the original post. Bear's comments about ego etc. & Yoga are great. I wish that I had his attitude when I was his age. In my humble opinion Bills comments about "mental" deserve serious consideration.

Regarding routines, when I am in the groove so to speak I spend a minimum of 10 minutes stretching my lower body. I then do a minimum of 10 minutes of floor work to warm up along with music that has a basic 4/4 beat. Then another 10 - 15 min. Doubling and sometimes tripling the beat. My martial arts training in the 60's helps me there but I think that any kind of dance or coordinated movement would accomplish the same thing. One always has the choice while in the routine to place more stress on that ever part of their body they want to work on. Once thourghly warmed up and getting my heart beat to around 80% of max for my age, I hit the treadmill for 20 minutes. (Always consuming water) Then...I may spend up to an hour with my BoFlex.

It is my personal belief that everything we do has a rhythm to it. Not cadence but a rhythm. We all have heard or experienced of "being in the Zone". I have found that is also true when I hunt. Take the time to settle down and "feel" the rhythm of the woods as things get back to normal after entering the woods. I think the same is perhaps true in our shooting sports. Again, I am coming from the position of being 58 years old. Conditioning the parts of our bodies that enhance balance plus putting our upper bodies into action to help or maintain eye to hand coordination. Mentally, I am an advocate of meditation. Try "not thinking" for 5 minutes and you might be amazed at how cluttered your mind is. "Focus". Being an old rifle guy, I remember reading how some of the better shooters at the Camp Perry 1000 yard matches employed Yoga so that they could make the shot in between hearbeats. Thanks for all of the contributions so far. I have picked up a few nuggets. It is also great to hear others taking into consideration the mind, body, soul discilplines in a sport that on the surface only appears physical.

Liota,

I think you've raised some good points. You need to have a training routine that contributes to your overall health irrespective of shooting or any other sports. The key is to find exercises that promote overall health, but also have applications to shooting. To properly address all the areas your interested in, flexibility, strength, stamina, balance is going to take a good cross-training approach. Keep in mind I'm not a professional trainer, so consulting a trainer at your local gym might provides some better insights. I'm going to address each of the issues independently. Flexibility- stretching and/or Yoga. I'm going to dedicate at least 30-45 min/ twice a week just to the stretching/yoga routine, in addition to my usual stretching routine before workouts. Strength- Pretty simple, if you want to get stronger, you gotta push weight. The bigger issue is, do you want to get stronger and add strength, or just tone up what you have. The general rule is to add mass and strength- high weight/low repetitions. For tone or muscle cut- low weight/ high reps. Stamina- Most any Cardiovascular exercise for 20-30 mins, 3 times a week will increase your stamina. Balance- The yoga will help with it, and their are some sports that put an emphasis on it. You'll have to find something that suits you.

As a sort-of example, here's what I intend to do this off season. I'll be working out lifting weight, so that takes care of my strength. The Yoga/stretching is for my flexibility. For my stamina I'll be doing some running and other exercises, but the sport that I highly recommed and one the best ways to improve you shooting skills is basketball. I feel it's one of the best off season workouts you can do. It's nothing but short bursts of speed, starting and stopping, multiple changes in direction, combined with a high degree of hand-eye coordination during movement. These skill are all very important to an IPSC shooter. Best of all, it doesn't take much equipment. You don't even need a ball. Just go to the basketball court at your fitness center or the county recreation center. You can probably check out a ball or just jump in a pick-up game. Some other activities that are similar are racquetball and tennis. Hope all this ranting helps. Good shooting.

Erik

I really like how Erik has segmented each phase of his approach to conditioning the body and shooting. I really can relate with the Basketball as that was my sport but now my knees will not take it. I just received Brian's book last evening and although I am just getting into it, I already can see where some of the things he is saying also relates to the conditioning the body. Using the intuit sense to where each excercise, routine is just a happening with little or no thought. I relate to this when I am in my "floor work" phase. There comes a time when the endorphins fire off in the brain. Time and space seem to become non existent and the next thing I know 30 minutes have gone by. In other words although my entire body is maintaing complete motion, my mind is in a state of awarness and not "thinking". I hope I am right about this. From what I have read so far, I am getting the impression that ALL we do for the body and mind + shooting merge into ONE without the need for thinking about it. I have a long, long way to go but the cool thing for me is that the calendar tells me how old I am but I do not buy what it says so I continue to try things and learn things like I was 20. I do have some physical limitations but I have found that they can be overcome. Working on my weakest areas helps to humble me. Good and Safe Shooting.

All of the great input. THANKS!!! As I stated, I am not new to reloading and I did work up to the load that I am using and there haven't been any pressure signs with bullets that are 2 grains over specified weight. Thriller provided a good "base line" with 5% variance being an acceptable tolerance. The infomation of the process is making the bullets was also very helpful in that it provided the stages the bullet goes through during manufacture and how each stage from alloy to lube can effect the actual weight. Thanks Folks.

• 4 months later...
Guest TwoGun

Hi all, I'm new here but wanted to add a little imput on this thread.

I'm 47 and fighting high cholesterol and have a family history of diebetes so staying in shape and staying active is VERY important to me. I'm kind of stubborn as well and I'm refusing to grow old gracefully and fighting every step of the way. So I work out at the local YMCA five or six times a week and I also participate in a Tae Kwon Do class three or four times a week with my two daughters. I'm about to test for my brown belt.

I find that flexibility, and not just in my legs and hips is crucial if I want to keep this active. I have a stretching routine that last for about half an hour and I do it AFTER I do my carido work when my muscles are all warmed up and my blood is pumping good. Then I lift. I find that interval training in my carido work is a huge help to overall fitness. It is also helpful when shooting. Certain strengthening exercises for my wrists, forearms and shoulders also help a lot. And last but not least I I have big blob of stuff that's like silly putty that I got from a physcial therapist that I squeeze for ten minutes in each hand each day for hand strength.

Even at my age I give some of the collage kids a run for thier money when sparring and I can only do so because of my dedication to my workouts.

With a slower resting pulse, and more strength in my upper body, I can shoot better and quicker. Also interval training is like doing wind sprints so I can sprint quickly from one shooting box to another and even if they are far apart I don't get winded.

I would encourage everyone to get a reasonable amout of exercise regarldess of age. Shooting aside, you'll feel better, have more energy, and have fewer injuries.

Good shooting to all.