Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Production Autopistol?

Wayne Dobbs

I am going to take the leap and shoot my first BC in 2010 and wanted you guys' ideas and opinions about what would be the most competitive production pistol for this. I've been a long time Glock shooter and competitor but will consider just about anything.

What say you?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to take the leap and shoot my first BC in 2010 and wanted you guys' ideas and opinions about what would be the most competitive production pistol for this. I've been a long time Glock shooter and competitor but will consider just about anything.

What say you?

The rules seem to be written specifically for the Glock 34.

The G-34 is certainly one of my contenders, but while this may be sacrilege, I haven't seen too many Glocks that group very well at 50 yards. I'm not an accuracy snob and don't expect Open gun performance from a service pistol, but I would like to have a gun that will stay well inside of 4" at 50 and that's fairly difficult in my experience.

Depends on the rule changes. If the rule stays that every single pull of the trigger must be over 3.5lbs, then Glock 34.

If the rumors pan out and the rules change so that every single pull of the trigger must be over 2.0lbs, then I'd say the CZ-75 SP-01.

Not sure what mods are allowed in Production, but SJC is putting KKM barrels in Glocks (not the standard Match, they're calling this one National Match) and getting 1-1.25 inch groups at 50. That's in an open gun, but the mechanical accuracy is there, the shooter just has to do his part.

Yeah, I think all that depends on the rules.

A Para LDA could be tightened/fit up, just like any 1911.

What I call the ultimate cheater gun (and I mean that in a good way) is the 5in S&W 5906 Performance Center gun. I've handled a couple. These were not "off the line" guns! Only a few made. I'd hate to see a gun approved that only a few have access to.

I hope AP is real careful about opening up their rules. (I don't mean to start a rules debate/discussion here. If anybody does, a new thread would be best.)

Per the rules that I've read, an aftermarket barrel is not permitted. A barrel can only be replaced with another factory barrel. As for the PC 5906, I think it may be acceptable, but the gun must be a "production gun available to the general public". I know that some of the S&W PC 9mm are LE sales only items. I don't know which side that 5906 would fall on.

What say you?

The rules seem to be written specifically for the Glock 34.

Not true, the Production Division rules were written with a broad stroke to cover most Production firearms. Due to the limitations, certain specifics had to be added, to keep this Division simple. It will stay that way, competitors now have three choices Open, Metallic & Production, pick your Division and start shooting!

I agree with Kevin, Sig X-5 DA/SA is a perfect candidate!

Tom...

I shot in production class this year after Karl from New Zealand talked me into it. I started out with a Beretta 92fs and a Beretta elite II, I didn't shoot it as good as I would have liked, so I ordered the Sig X-five Allround and got it 10 days before the cup, Great gun , I didn't have time to work up a load so I just threw some together and I was able to keep them inside of 3" at 50yrd. I could only get the doubble action down to around 7+lbs with keeping the single above 2-1/2----and you are right!!!-- that is where I had the most of my problems doubble to single, well, and not shooting any NRA action in the last 8 years didn't help either. But you have to shoot the first round in every string in doubble action, that sucks at 50yrds with that heavy of a trigger, If I could shoot maybe that wouldn't have mattered as much, but I think it would be better to have one trigger pull insted of two different ones. If I was to do production again I would go with a springfield xd or a glock, but now the fire is burning again so now I have to build another race gun and go for the 1920.

good luck!!! Jason

Fired a STI GP6 for the first time last week. I like it. Nice DA trigger and the single is very crisp.

Will try it for proper accuracy this week, I have to "demonstrate" the last one we have to a customer next week, so I will make sure it is sighted in for him. <_<

LDA is nice but I think that handguns like the GP6, X5 and Glock 34 will be the best for most. Not that I have anything against the others. I have moderate experience with the aforementioned and "feel" that they will work well.

• 2 weeks later...
Fired a STI GP6 for the first time last week. I like it. Nice DA trigger and the single is very crisp.

Will try it for proper accuracy this week, I have to "demonstrate" the last one we have to a customer next week, so I will make sure it is sighted in for him. <_<

LDA is nice but I think that handguns like the GP6, X5 and Glock 34 will be the best for most. Not that I have anything against the others. I have moderate experience with the aforementioned and "feel" that they will work well.

I'll be using my GP6 for the 2010 BC. I just need to buy a new holster as I understand my Hogue or a Ghost won't cut it for production.

Canuck223

I am still unsure of what you can get away with as far as holsters are concerned. Most of the guys down here shooting IPSC are using all sorts of racegun type holsters for their Production Guns. I would assume (therefore am likely to be very wrong) that NRA Production was following along the lines of USPSA Production.

I will be doing some research on what we can use. I personally am likely to need something useful for the GP6 myself that will satisfy both IPSC and NRA AP Production rules.

Hopefully Tom H will clarify what we can get away with.

Canuck223

I am still unsure of what you can get away with as far as holsters are concerned. Most of the guys down here shooting IPSC are using all sorts of racegun type holsters for their Production Guns. I would assume (therefore am likely to be very wrong) that NRA Production was following along the lines of USPSA Production.

I will be doing some research on what we can use. I personally am likely to need something useful for the GP6 myself that will satisfy both IPSC and NRA AP Production rules.

Hopefully Tom H will clarify what we can get away with.

Gentlemen,

The holster should be for carry use, not a competition holster, so to make it easier to understand if you would carry that pistol going to the Grocery store what holster would you use? it does not need a keeper, but it needs to hold the firearm secure.

Clear as mud, we are trying to get away from making a list of approved firearms & holsters that will have to be updated on a weekly basis, we have enough to do already!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom...

I know SiG is a major sponsor for NRA AP Bianchi Cup 2010 and a I know Dave Sevigny won Production with a GLOCK 34 in 2009, but a REVOLVER is the way to go with production. Had Jerry M. or Robert V. or a number of solid PPC shooters decided to shoot their NRA PPC Distinguished Revolvers in Production, then I am sure the results would have been different.

I would get a quality 586 or 686 or Model 14, or 19 S&W and get used to it. They are accurate and should be a winning combo if you can handle DAO.

MJ

:cheers:

I know SiG is a major sponsor for NRA AP Bianchi Cup 2010 and a I know Dave Sevigny won Production with a GLOCK 34 in 2009, but a REVOLVER is the way to go with production. Had Jerry M. or Robert V. or a number of solid PPC shooters decided to shoot their NRA PPC Distinguished Revolvers in Production, then I am sure the results would have been different.

I would get a quality 586 or 686 or Model 14, or 19 S&W and get used to it. They are accurate and should be a winning combo if you can handle DAO.

MJ

:cheers:

Martin,

As we discussed yesterday, good advice on soooo many levels!

Tom...

The holster should be for carry use, not a competition holster, so to make it easier to understand if you would carry that pistol going to the Grocery store what holster would you use? it does not need a keeper, but it needs to hold the firearm secure.

Clear as mud, we are trying to get away from making a list of approved firearms & holsters that will have to be updated on a weekly basis, we have enough to do already!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom...

Unfortunately mud’s not very clear. In USPSA Production I can't use a race holster but I can use my Bladetech DOH. I wouldn't wear my DOH holster to the grocery store, but I wouldn't carry an IDPA legal Comptac holster to the store either. For the store I do use my FOBUS IWB holster, but that would really put me at a disadvantage to absolutely everyone else I imagine.

To keep things both easy for administration and clear for competitors how about "Production holsters as per USPSA requirements" or something to that effect?

I haven't shot a Bianchi match yet but would like to. Having to set up yet another holster rig to be legal in yet another branch of shooting would be a disincentive.

You all think into this too much, no one likes to be told what to do, Production uses a carry type holster, NOT a competition holster, and the NRA will never refer to USPSA requirements as a guideline, and they will not either, we get along great, and respect and rely on each other for advice. but NRA competitions uses NRA rules: USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, USA Shooting, SASS and any other shooting discipline uses there own rules for a wide variety of reasons.

If we told you what holster to use we would get advice on what other holsters we should pick...I am sure mpst of you have heard of the K.I.S.S. principle!