Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon DeTerminator scale vs. new BE Electronic

My Dillon Determinator was damaged in a freak accident. I think the beam is warped, but I'm not sure and I don't want to check my loads with a scale that feels "rough." I went to the BE site and ran across this new electronic scale that is only $20 higher than the beam scale. I've heard all the stories about electronic scales (even Dillon) going haywire due to static electricity, the ceiling fan, whatever. I have a little Frankfort Arsenal one that works-95% percent of the time, I have seen it act squirrely.

Not sure I can get past the idea of not having a beam scale, but the "Brian Approved" model that is made by someone besides Dillon looks pretty impressive with a huge warranty for only $20 bucks more.

Anybody using one? I can't find anything on the search.

Edited by sheepdog

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one of Brian's scales. It works OK. I've only used it a couple of times. It's only about half the size of the Dillon.

My Dillon quit working the other day. I called Dillon and they said it couldn't be fixed but for $80 they would trade for my old broken one. I got the one from Brian with the 20 year warranty for the same money. :)

I am also leary of any electronic scale and I keep my beam scale as a backup.

One of the best things I did was to get a scale check weight set so I can check my electronic scale whenever I want. It has 2/5/10/20 grain weights so I just pick one that is close to the charge I am using (usually 5 or 10) and throw it on the scale. If it doesn't weigh right I know I need to recalibrate.

Neal in AZ

I havent tried the one that brian is selling, let us know how it works for you. It really just boils down to cost vs. quality. When I was working in a metrology lab we never would have trusted one of these sub $100 dollar scales for serious work, electronic or mechanical. You get what you pay for with these. There are a lot of really good scales available that are marketed to jewelers. Pick one that will measure in grains and that has sufficient basic accuracy to be measuring down to .1 grains. Mine has basic accuracy to .05gr. You may pay $200-$300 for a good one but it will be accurate enough for this task and it will last a lifetime if taken care of.

I got the one from Brian with the 20 year warranty for the same money. :)

That's a good deal! But will you remember where your receipt or proof of purchase is after 20 years? :D

No worries, I have a copy of your receipt. Backed up in 3 on site drives and one off site drive.

;)

I've sold a bundle of them in the short time I've been selling them - and I haven't any (legit) returns, complaints, or even calls on it.

I said "legit" because I did have one guy return a scale. He said he couldn't get it to calibrate properly. He said he ran the calibration procedure several times, but when he put the 100 gram test weight on the scale displayed 110 grams, every time. So I sent him a new one with return packaging for the "defective" scale.

In the scales instructions, it says that under normal circumstances, the scale should never have to be re-calibrated. Regardless, I tested the scale multiple time per day for a week, and it displayed exactly 100 grams every time I put the test weight on it.

be

I had set the powder measure on my 1050 to 3.5 of Titegroup to load 9mm. I had set it using the old Dillon. When it went bad I checked it again using my old RCBS beam scale. I always check the charge when I start a reloading session. I have checked it several times with the new scale and it always reads 3.5 of Titegroup. :cheers:

The new scale seems like it takes a few seconds longer to settle down when I weigh a charge than the Dillon did, but it's much faster than the beam scale. :cheers:

I probably reloaded for 20 years with a beam. After I got an electronic I wondered why I waited so long. :unsure:

I was lucky enough to find a used Dillon beam scale in the want ads, but since I started this and can't resist a good deal, you can mark it sold. Just ordered the returned scale. I'll use it a while because I'd like to see how much easier it is to use than a beam and for the sake of experience.

Since it's blemmed, I can do with only 10 years of warranty, okay? :D

Edited by sheepdog

I've sold a bundle of them in the short time I've been selling them - and I haven't any (legit) returns, complaints, or even calls on it.

I said "legit" because I did have one guy return a scale. He said he couldn't get it to calibrate properly. He said he ran the calibration procedure several times, but when he put the 100 gram test weight on the scale displayed 110 grams, every time. So I sent him a new one with return packaging for the "defective" scale.

In the scales instructions, it says that under normal circumstances, the scale should never have to be re-calibrated. Regardless, I tested the scale multiple time per day for a week, and it displayed exactly 100 grams every time I put the test weight on it.

So instead of returning the "defective" scale in new or good packaging, he returned it with the plastic inner packaging cracked. So it's now for sale in my Blems Thread.

be

I will call with my credit card in the morning

Jim