Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning after lead

ToddH

I am just getting into the reloading and bought 500 lead bullets (my shop didnt have any jacketed and I was to impatient to wait for an order to come in) Once I am up and running how should I care for my gun afterwords? Cleaning sequence etc...

Lots of variables on cleaning the lead out of a bore. Some powder and metal mixes don't lead much, others do a lot. My personal tactic is to run a patch with solvent through to get the big stuff, run a wire brush through for the loose stuff, run a jag through for the rest, and then a JB bore compound soaked patch back and forth for the last of it. Finish up with patches until it's as clean as you want it.

Leam

--lead shooter

Leam gave good advice. Only thing I can add is if you shoot lead stay with it. Switching back and forth lead to copper causes cleaning problems. On the JB step I use a worn brass brush with a patch wrapped arround. Little bit of solvent to get it wet then roll in the JB.

Whole job is quick and easy. Cleaning is a non issue.

Boats

Make sure all traces of copper jacket/plating are removed from the barrel before shooting lead. I agree, once you start with lead it's a good idea to stick with it as it saves you the "clean the copper out of the bore" routine.

After a few thousand rounds of lead bullets, all of the bores in my various pistols seem to smooth out very nicely and cleaning any leading/lube fouling becomes easier. Find some copper "ChoreBoy" scouring pads, strip a few strands off and wrap around a brass brush and use this to remove lead. Be aware that some "copper" scouring pads are copper clad steel. You don't want to use those. I always use the C.B. dry. About 6-8 passes and my bores are slick as a whistle. I then run a couple of dry patches through and re-assemble.

WyoBob

My handguns have never seen anything but lead. Target bullets Sub-sonic under about 1100 fps there is no need for copper jackets. Over 1500 lead needs a copper gas check to work well. Above 1500 feet you are fighting a loosing battle using lead bullets.

Boats

I’ve shot a lot of lead since bullet prices went through the roof. I’ve shot around 11,000 S&S casting bullets so far in practice and I’m on my way to doubling that this year. I run Rainer 180gr plated for my major load (because I bought them when they were cheap) and Montana gold 155gr HP for my steel load. I don’t have any problem switching between them. When I clean my guns I run one oil socked patch down the barrel to push out the big chunks of powder ect that’s all. I have not used a solvent or a brush on my pistol barrels in a few years. They will still hold the A zone at 50yds if I do my part, what more do I need. Maybe I just got lucky, YMMV.

When you're done for the day, just run a mag full of jacketed ammo through the gun, and the leading will be stripped right out of the bore.

You'll read lots of internet folklore saying this practice is harmful. That stuff is written by little old hens who need something to cluck about. It won't hurt a thing, and is much less damaging to the barrel than the harsh and abrasive cleaning methods that are often recommended.

I shoot both through my limited and production but not my open gun. Go to Brazos custom guns sight and read his article on cleaning guns. I have been doing what he recommends for quite a while now and never had a problem. It sounds kind of unorthadox but I believe he pretty much knows what he's talking about.