Lugnut's journey

lugnut

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, at 9lbs you should be able to light off any primer. When federal light 100% at the lightest strike, other primer light about 80-90% of the time. Something else is up

Yeah- It's making me a little nutty. I can only tell you that I've checked everything I can possibly think of at this point. Short of bad primers, I can't figure out what it could be. The hammer operation is pretty straight forward not much can get in the way... main spring, hammer, FP, ignition. There is nothing restricting the hammer or the FP and like I said the action is smooth. I have another batch of Federal that are SP Match primers that have worked flawlessly in my Glock, I will use some of them that I still have after this batch of ammo is used up. This batch is regular Federals. I'm puzzled.

Dave, at 9lbs you should be able to light off any primer. When federal light 100% at the lightest strike, other primer light about 80-90% of the time. Something else is up

Yeah- It's making me a little nutty. I can only tell you that I've checked everything I can possibly think of at this point. Short of bad primers, I can't figure out what it could be. The hammer operation is pretty straight forward not much can get in the way... main spring, hammer, FP, ignition. There is nothing restricting the hammer or the FP and like I said the action is smooth. I have another batch of Federal that are SP Match primers that have worked flawlessly in my Glock, I will use some of them that I still have after this batch of ammo is used up. This batch is regular Federals. I'm puzzled.

Dave,

Seat the primers a bit harder.

Dave,

Seat the primers a bit harder.

I hear you Dan. I'm seating them a lot harder than I was with my Glock 34 loads that for sure. I really, really don't want to have to crush the primers to get the rounds to go off. The irony is I purposely inserted some primers high and fired them- the ones I've done intentionally still find a way to go off! Go figure.

Besides... didn't you see my post about my breaking the lever on my press?? Can't get much harder than that!

Edited by lugnut

LOL. So I had a good practice today. Lots of good transitions on tough targets. Was shooting real accurate today.

On the light strikes.... 200 rounds without a single problem- all with an old batch of Federal Match Primers. 50 rounds of the regular Federals... 1 light strike. I'm really wondering if somehow I got a batch of primers with crappy cups!

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing mostly dry fire practice- trying to do 20 minutes a day. I think I've found a few things that will help my reloads with the SSR gun. I practiced tonight using a flashlight and doing reloads in the dark. It's getting better and my "indexing" of the speed loaders is much smoother. I was getting some reloads in the low 3secs which is a great improvement. One thing that is difficult is holding the flashlight while shooting... it's just not the same as my Glock. If I hold the flashlight in my weak hand while clamping the grips I find my trigger finger is catching on my left hand! Need to work on this more. I still find I'll occasionally short stroke the trigger in dry fire... need to fix this. I may get to two matches this weekend and the weather looks good. I'm pumped. Not much more good outdoor weather in the upcoming months.....

Had an ugly match today. Not much to say. Had a discussion with a friend about how it's possible to shoot so well on one stage and so bad on another..... here is what he said:

"Good shooters execute the fundamentals flawlessly"

It's not rocket science.... Tomorrow I will work on executing the fundamentals better. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Not much live fire lately. :angry2: Shot a USPSA match a week or so ago in the Revolver division. It was much funner than I thought it would be. My reloads are getting better for the most part. It's still tricky on movers and things like that... the long trigger is just sooo different than my Glock need to work on that more.

I've been trying to dry fire on a regular basis but I've struggled doing it. I know I need to but work has been busy and I'm like Junk after. I might force myself to get in some time in the beginning of the day.

Spend lots on reloading still which is great practice but reloading and finding the dummy rounds is a PITA! I'm trying to do more on the move vs static and that is messy... I need to make sure I don't lose a round under the refrigerator or couch... the wife would kill me.

Another thing I need to stop doing is short triggering the gun! I need my finger to let that trigger go all the way out!!

IDPA match tomorrow in the AM.. I am SOing so I need to be there early to set up... it will be in the 30s and rainy. I'm not looking forward to it....

• 3 weeks later...

Winter is officially here with cold weather and all... Last local IDPA match of the year and I decided not to go. Just starting to feel better from a cold and bagged it. Still working on the dry fire routines. Damn I need to move south- this cold shit is a PITA. :angry2:

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since my last match of any sort. Some live fire but not much. Still working on the dry fire with the revo... but not getting to it every day. :angry2:

Today I headed out the a local steel match. It was a good time but there was only one other revolver shooter- everyone else was semi or open. I felt like my reloads were solid. Shooting was ok- I was quick to realize I need to use the front sight centered in the rear notch! Lighting was tough indoors and they had a few black targets that were a PITA for my black front sights. I like working on steel- I used to fear it, but not anymore. Good "practice" session today.

I have a few matches coming up in January to help me get ready for the Indoor Nats. Need to dry fire more- and get used to using a flashlight while reloading... gulp.

• 3 weeks later...

Shot 2 matches this weekend- IDPA Saturday, Indoor USPSA today (S&W 686 still). First matches in over a month and dry firing (and live fire) has trailed off a bit. I think once I get more time for live fire- I'll be more motivated to dry fire.

Pluses and minuses are basically the same for each match. I felt controlled and really felt I called my shots very well. In the IDPA match I didn't I have any misses or no-shoots. Didn't need any make up shots the whole match and was down 1 (almost zero) on a long, fast, out and back. Same at the USPSA match (no deltas either and only one make up on steel). I feel that my shooting was very accurate and I was very relaxed.

I made 2 significant mistakes during the weekend that bugged me. At the IDPA match there was a string of 3 targets that needed to be engaged in sequence. Right before the buzzer I noticed someone talking very loud off to my right. I looked and SO and shook my head. What did I do? I engaged them 2-2-2. Uggh. Now I can blame it on the distraction or just my own mental fart... either way I need to tone those noises out... but man does it piss me off when people are yapping away when I'm at the line.

At the USPSA match I engaged the wrong target (skipped one I was supposed to engage) and kept going till the end and realized something went wrong. It took me a couple secs to realize which I forgot. I made up 2 solid As so it could have been much worse! It was a stage where all ammo was on barrels and I was too focused on getting the reloads and just didn't visualize the shooting part well enough.

All in all a good weekend considering I haven't been to an IDPA and/or USPSA match in over a month- with very little practice.. but I need to speed it up. I felt I was way too slow and could have did everything faster... I did like how I could call the shots much better though - that in itself makes me pleased.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran a couple guys thru an IDPA classifier so they could shoot the Indoor Nats this month. Weather in the 20s but luckily no wind. I had a good time shooting outside as I was dressed warm... nice to be outside again for sure. Anyways- I ran thru the classifier with my SSR again ... a few secs short of Master. 104.99s There was certainly room for improvement as I had a miss on one of the head shots- right near the corner of the neck but not in. Stage 2 El Pres... well let's just say I had an issue with my reload. Stage 3.... dropped too many points and couldn't haul ass on string 2 of stage 3 because of the conditions on the ground. I know I will get there soon enough.

Best part- I really think I'm calling my shots better now too. On one of the head shots I absolutely called it vertically centered an inch from the left perf... man that was cool. Mostly I just can tell if it's a head miss on not or a down zero or down 1 or down 3... not all the time but I'm getting there.... progress is what I'm happy with!

Results are in from my recent blood tests. BLL is 14 (lead level). This is the lowest it's been in a year so I'm pretty happy. I thought it might have been lower but I did some indoor shooting a couple weeks before the test which may have contributed. Not sure if the long term exposure is just going to make it tough to lower it more... because I really haven't been doing much shooting at all!

As a side note- my triglycerides are WAY down! 96 with some help from meds. Unfortunately Total Cholesterol is 215.... it's been there since my 20s and my doc said to get more exercise and loose weight... easier said than done!

As a side note- my triglycerides are WAY down! 96 with some help from meds. Unfortunately Total Cholesterol is 215.... it's been there since my 20s and my doc said to get more exercise and loose weight... easier said than done!

Bacon may help, also, more alcohol.....it's a solvent, isn't it? My total cholesterol is under 170....none of that medication stuff either. I think it ticks my doctor off, that I only take Advil... :roflol:

Edited by Dan Sierpina

• 2 weeks later...

Practiced today with the club- practice was crowded but I got to shoot a hundred rounds or so. Many of us are shooting at the indoor nats so we did a fair amount of low light. I felt I was shooting fast and smooth and the reloads were good. Had a little issue with swinger but it was tough. We did one 12 shot drill that we did with flashlights- my time was ~10s down one. It was pretty damn dark and the next time I think I surprised some people... I did it in the complete dark with no flashlight. Damn that was real fun... relying almost entirely on indexing only as I could just barely make out the targets which were fairly close. 7.1 down 5. Fun stuff. I might be able to squeak out one more practice before the match... if not more dry fire it will be.

Indoor Nats wrapped up. It was good to see so many friends I don't get to see enough. The banquet was very nice last night- I missed last year's and didn't realize they did they did such a nice job. Made the match fees seem very reasonable with all we got.

As far as the shooting... well even though I came 3rd in SSR Expert and the guys that beat me are real good shooters, I still feel that I shot some of the match poorly. I had some problems dealing with some of the dim light stages- I'm not sure using a light would have helped my times but I'm sure my hits would have been better- handling a revo during reloads with a flashlight while getting my speed loaders from a bag just isn't fun. I also had some troubles on what would have appeared to be targets that shouldn't have been too difficult. One target required 3 hits from low cover- I had to decide whether to go for the partial down zero on the body with a no shoot under it- or go for the heads. The shots didn't seem to look too difficult on the head so I went for it... got two misses. A few other misses plagued me as well- but I showed no disrespect on any of the close targets!! I feel I shot about half the stages well, a couple ok- the rest nasty. It was a LONG match with a huge squad.. I'm drained from this one.

However this match made me more determined to improve with the SSR gun more than ever. When is the spring coming????

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh finally... something to cheer me up!!! I shot my first outdoor match in a couple months yesterday and it was sunny and about 50 degrees!! Yippieee!! I was seriously getting some winter blues and this really picked me up and reinvigorated me a bunch. I shot SSR at a local IDPA club. After a scoring "glitch" was corrected I came out division winner so I am pleased. As always I have room for improvement for sure but I shot this match very clean. I was most accurate with 21 points for the entire match which explains why I felt a little slow... but this is a strange experience for me as I usually shooter faster and drop more points while I was shooting my semiauto. The entire match my trigger pull seemed smooth as butter... I think it was because I was really focused on the sight picture and the finger just did it's job. There where a fair amount of tough shots including 2 targets with a no shoot in the middle at 35+ yards- I was down 3 total on them. No misses and no down 3s, or penalties the entire match either.

On the down side there were mistakes-

On one stage I was supposed to do a reload with one in the chamber- I dropped the round on the ground.. had to pick it up which cost me at least a couple secs.

Although my splits and transitions were good- I felt hesitation on my reloads- not sure why.

Reloads were pretty good overall but on one stage the rounds didn't go all the way in the chambers... took a sec or so to get them in a close the cylinder.

Had a great time shooting outdoors in good weather so I would have been happy if I came in last! (Well not really)

Edited by lugnut

Gotta love this 50 degree weather! Yeah I snuck out of work early today to take advantage of the wonderful day! Found out a few things- like I really need to work more on my movement. I felt real slow shooting while moving and even moving into shooting positions. Worked on this a bunch today. On the other hand the 686 is feeling better and better everyday- that gun is just so accurate and it indexes so well... on bill drills the gun just comes back so well. Great day. 300+ rounds of fun.

I'm a big believer in setting goals. I do this almost more so in shooting that in my personal/business life!! Anyway- I've already achieved a major goal that I had expected by the end of the spring- I shot a classifier and made SSR Master today. 100.21s was my run even with a stage 1 missed head shot! Key was a rock solid stage 3. Times weren't super fast but I only dropped 8 points on stage 3... 21 point for the entire classifier- damn that down 5 missed head shot pissed me off. No down 3s.

Best part- it was another day in the high 40s and sunny as heck! Doesn't get better than that IMO.

I will likely run my SSR gun again at next week's IDPA club match- then at an ICORE match following that. Then... we'll see. The gun is getting addictive but I'm worried I've forgotten how to shoot my Glocks! Currently Master in SSP, ESP and SSR.... maybe I'll shoot CDP for a touch.