Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lugnut's journey

lugnut

Well I've enjoyed reading everyone's diaries and I think it's a great idea to start myself. Here's a little background of where I'm at. I'll try not to bore everyone.

46 years old

Been shooting for about 4 years

IDPA for 3 years

USPSA for 1.5 years

Currently 3 gun Expert in IDPDA (mostly match bumps) Best SSP Classifier to date is in the low 100s

B Class in Production (68%) and Limited (61%)

Started out just shooting holes in paper at the local range. First centerfire gun was a Sig226 (which is way to big for my hands). Got started in IPDA by chance... but that got me hooked on action shooting. First real USPSA match was Area 7 in 2008- Single Stack... oh my... was that a most humbling experience!

Currently I shoot my Glock 34 in SSP and Production. G35 in Limited. Mostly stock- Dawson Adj Rear, Black Front, Vanek Classic, 13lb ISMI recoil. I do all my reloading on a Hornady LNL. I've been using 147gr MG and/or Berrys with 3.8gr W231. COL with Berrys is 1.150, with MG it's 1.130.

My GOAL this year is to make SSP Master. Funny though... I felt lots of internal pressure to make SS and EX in the IDPA divisions to date... but I don't feel pressure to make Master. I just know it will happen and I'm more interested in getting better and beating as many as I can at matches.

I want to get to A in Production, but really I just want to be at the top of the Production group! I've won a few local matches but there are some great shooters that are a challenge.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Area 7 coming next week, with New England Regional IDPA the following week! Last week my Dawson rear sight actually broke... last night I installed a replacement and went to the range to sight it in. Was getting pretty good groups at 25 yds (3-4 inches) freestyle and I decided to practice a bit.

I have been spending more time on shooting at 50/75 feet. Groups out to 50 feet today were great. 10 shot groups at 25 feet < 1". As I speeded things up the groups grew (naturally). It's still disturbing that the group tends to drift low and left... I'm not sure if I'm milking the grip, not pulling the trigger straight back, etc. Did some weak hand/strong hand shooting. Just a little over 100 rounds.

Local Match today:

Came in 3/12 in Production with some solid competition. On my starting stage I had a problem on a Texas star... usually I don't have a problem clearing the steel on the star but today I must have fired 5 shots at one of the plates.... then I finished with a NS/Miss. Lost most of the overall points on that stage alone. It pissed me off but I know that I had to put it behind me and do better. Finished the match with a first place on the last stage which was very satisfying as it was a solid run. 4 Bill Drill classifier stage.... OMG that was tough. 1 Miss at the far target and a bunch of Ds- but my times were slow... somehow managed to get 2nd on that stage.

Take aways:

Get used to targets far away... 35 yds is not something I practice a lot.

Don't let a bad stage or two get in your head. ( I use this a lot)

Work more on steel... as always.

Practice tomorrow- may run thru and IDPA classifier as a couple at our club need to be classifier to shoot the regionals in 2 weeks.

Next week- Area 7!

Edited by lugnut

Major goal achieved!! Damn I should have started this diary a while ago!

We ran a small IDPA classifier match for several shooters that need a classification for our upcoming sanctioned match. The guy running it asked if I would help... I said sure if I could run thru it too. Well... I shot the match in 93.40sec in SSP which easily got me to MASTER!! Wahoo!!!

I started stage 1 a little cautiously shooting the mozambiques between 2.53 and 2.62... as I didn't want any misses. Last classifier I missed two of the heads!! Once I got all my head shoots I started feeling confident. Stage 2 is a stage I usually do pretty well on but I was a few more points down than I like... and stage 3 is, as they say is the deal maker/breaker and I did great for me. Here are the times:

Stage 1:

Raw time 26.74s

pts down 4

Total- 28.74s

Stage 2:

Raw time 20.17s

pts down 10

Total- 25.17s

Stage 3:

Raw time 30.99s

pts down 17

Total- 39.49s

Total for classifier: 93.40s

It's kind of a wierd feeling as I was really getting prepared to shoot in our New England Regionals match in SSP Expert.... now that all changes. But I shoot classifiers the same way I shoot matches... the best I can... always.

The amazing part was- I felt there is still so much more room for improvement. My tac reloads aren't smooth, called a couple bad shots that fortunately turned out to be down 3 and not a miss and all in all could be much smoother.

But for now... I must just enjoy what has happened... I'm greatful to have such really great friends that help me as much as they can... all knowing I'm trying to beat them...

Major goal achieved!! Damn I should have started this diary a while ago!

We ran a small IDPA classifier match for several shooters that need a classification for our upcoming sanctioned match. The guy running it asked if I would help... I said sure if I could run thru it too. Well... I shot the match in 93.40sec in SSP which easily got me to MASTER!! Wahoo!!!

Congrats Dave!

Nice log.

Congrats on making Master.

Thanks- I've been following a few of the diaries of some of the USPSA Master level shooters. I really wanted to capture my run on the way up... as I hope to get there some day! I only wish I started earlier. There are lots of ups and downs in this sport and it's important for all of us to reflect back on the "journey" and not just the results. Funny thing- when I look back... the wins are great but the friendships I've had are better.... not to be corny but it's so true.

Who knows- maybe this will inspire some avergage middle aged guy like me to have bigger goals. I'm big fan of having short term goals and long term goals. One short term goal was to get to IDPA Master (as well as shoot faster at longer distances, steel, movement), Longer term is USPSA A and then Master. Every new goal seems harder than the last..... and I'm sure they are.

After Area 7 and New England IDPA Regionals- I plan to kick it down a notch for the end of the summer (if I can make myself) and spend more time with the family.

I am in the same boat as you with a few small differences. I started last July at a local IDPA match, at age 44, with a Sig 226. To say I was hooked is an understatment. I quickly realized that the Sig was not the gun for me and went with an XD...then a Glock... and also a STI.

Then my friend ( I call him Sensei) introduced me to USPSA. Its a drug! So much so that my wife joined in the fun last August. She started off as " I will do this with you but don't expect me to be as into this as you are". Ha! She even ditched me once when I had the flu and she went to a match by herself. Two guns later she is as hooked as me...if not worse. We truly love the sport.

We are both C class in USPSA. She shoots Production with a Glock and I shoot Limted with a Brazo's STI. I am knocking at the door of B class but the brain fades on classifiers are killing me. She should make B before the winter season hits.

I was less than 10 seconds shy of making Master in SSP at the last IDPA qualifier. That is my goal with that group now too. The Mrs made Sharpshooter after the automatic bump when she finished 2nd in her SSP class at the Maryland state match.

I like reading the different logs and reading the triumphs and struggles. It lets me know that others are as addicted as me!

One of my favorites is "Cha-lee". He is a very nice guy and has some incredible opinions and suggestions. I actually was brave enough once to have him critique a video of me at a match. He evaluated me, wrote up a huge critique, and answered me within minutes. He was SPOT on!

Anyway, nice reading your log. Maybe someday I will be brave enough to do the same. :cheers:

Went to the range today. Only did a few minutes of dry fire last night, maybe more later tonight. Today I was focusing on accuracy- shots at 25 yds. I had an 8" steel plate and a paper target. Started slow and picked up the pace. It was kind of cool because I was really feeling the trigger as seeing the front sight perfectly. Did weak and strong hand only at the same targets- did pretty well but wasn't really shooting too fast. Good thing about shooting at long distances... when you have close target it seems amazingly easy.

Funny thing was my "flyers" (we're too many which was good) were high and left... strange. Usually they are low.

This weekend is A7! Sunday morning for me.

I was less than 10 seconds shy of making Master in SSP at the last IDPA qualifier. That is my goal with that group now too. The Mrs made Sharpshooter after the automatic bump when she finished 2nd in her SSP class at the Maryland state match.

Bigpops- that is pretty quick in one year! Those Brazos guns are the best.... some day I'll get one. For now I'll stick with the G34/G35.

Just got back from the A7 match- very fun and very well run.

I think the match was not technically challenging- except for maybe a strange swinger or two. I think some of the things that looked easy made you feel the need for speed!

Anyway- I was 10th out of 21 B class production shooters, 21st out of 52 in Production.

I did ok, although like everyone- I think I should have done better. I really tanked a couple of the "easy" short stages and it hurt me for sure. I found that I did well on the longer shots but got a lot of Cs and some Ds and Ms on some really close shots.... I certainly took them for granted which was a huge mistake. I still need to work on movement and stage planning. I really love that fact that in Production you really need to get good hits or it costs you... but sometimes planning the reloads is annoying. I think there were a few stages where I had 4 reloads.

I need to work on so many things to get to 'A' level shooting. I know what I need to work on, it just takes time.

Spent lots of time this week setting up for our NE Regional IDPA match. Ran about 40 SOs thru my stages Friday. Today we had a team of 6 SOs in my pit and we ran about 75 shooters thru. Both days were HOT and LONG!! Tonight spent about a half hour working on some basics dry firing. Tomorrow I shoot. Going to bed early (for me) so I'm ready.

Edited by lugnut

Well... my first debut as SSP Master at the NE Regionals wasn't stellar- had some mental meltdowns and it hurt... but I want to focus mostly on the positive after this...

My first target on MY STAGE was down 6 and an FTN... wow what a way to start the day for me!!! Ouch. I recovered a bit and shot the next several stages very well... which is good. I know you can't dwell on the past... Part of mastering the mental game... putting it all aside till reviewing the scores...

I learned that when I go to stow a magazine on the move that I should LOOK at the mag pouch instead of spending seconds trying to do it blind- the SO said to me "Why didn't you just look at the pouch when you were inserting the mag?" Duh

Learn how to count... on one stage all targets required 3 shots... from different locations... engaged the first two with three then forgot and only did two on the next one.. that hurt.

One part of a stage required two shots from retention while four remaining could be strong hand "normal" shooting. I kept shooting them all from retention and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was so hard to get the head shots and only 5 feet away!!! It was quite an interesting experience. Caused me about 6 secs of time because of an untimely reload.... which I did WITH a briefcase in my left hand... which got me a procedural... and another one later for not putting the briefcase 2 inches inside a line... ouch that hurt!

Overall too many points down... but had a great time even though it was hotter than all hell!!

Edited by lugnut

A penalty for reloading while holding the briefcase? What were you supposed to do with it?

Ahh the rules were the rules... you were supposed to put it down during reloading. The shooting from retention was quite an experience. Try shooting with your elbow at your side while shooting the head of a target at 5 feet... I couldn't figure out why I was missing till I spent a bunch of time enjoying the experience. :rolleyes:

Learn from the negative, reinforce the positive. Post about what went well also

I think I did. I learned a LOT. I'm also realizing how much physical fitness is a significant part of getting to a higher level- I was toast in the heat and don't usually have mental lapses like I did. There were several stages where I was 1st or 2nd in my class. It was only a few real bad ones that put me out of range. I was having a great time and did the best I could on that day. Go home... plan on working harder and smarter for the next one! :cheers:

Learn from the negative, reinforce the positive. Post about what went well also

I think I did. I learned a LOT. I'm also realizing how much physical fitness is a significant part of getting to a higher level- I was toast in the heat and don't usually have mental lapses like I did. There were several stages where I was 1st or 2nd in my class. It was only a few real bad ones that put me out of range. I was having a great time and did the best I could on that day. Go home... plan on working harder and smarter for the next one! :cheers:

So what happened on the stages were you did well? what did you see? how did the gun feel? how did the sights track? A lot of time we dwell on what we need to improve, but little time on what we do well. So brag about what you did well and then tap into that next time you shoot

It was a pleasure shooting with you. You can add to your pluses for the match staying positive and having fun even when things weren't going your way. Some shooters would have just shut down after a bad stage and been miserable. I mostly shot like garbage, but I had fun. Having good people to shoot with and the great crew to help run the match with made it a pleasure. And at least I beat Travis Yeknom.

So what happened on the stages were you did well? what did you see? how did the gun feel? how did the sights track? A lot of time we dwell on what we need to improve, but little time on what we do well. So brag about what you did well and then tap into that next time you shoot

Ok- I guess I'm looking at this thread much as a history of how I fill the missing pieces of the game.... the commom ups and downs along the way to becoming a better shooter. I must say.. everytime I make a new "bump" the drive to strive becomes greater for me.

I shot the indoor stages and several others clean and fast, visualized the stages and executed well. Keys to success here were efficient movement and well planned execution. Several stages I placed 1st or 2nd in my class because of this. Even on the stages I tanked.. like my own stages- the movement was very smooth and efficient. I didn't spend time repositioning my body with most cover, etc. Reloads... not one missed reload. Tac reloads worked very well and I think I used them where they were most beneficial. On one stage where there was a draw, transfer to weak hand, engage 3 targets while moving backwards with a red mesh over my face I did the best in my division.

Clearly there are good things that are happening... I guess I don't think I'm focusing on the negative... I'm just focusing on things that I think will help my overall shooting in major matches. I need to find I way to get that first stage close to a warmed up performance... either that of be more deliberate on the first run of a match. I have no excuse (nor need any) for the couple of mishaps... but being in 90+ degree heat three days in a row had to have taken some toll too....

Most important "lesson" for me... I know I have so much more room for improvement... I can SEE myself getting better and when I think I "TANK" a match- it's still in the top 10-20 of shooters....

Mike- I guess I'm sometimes a humble guy.... opinionated sometimes.. but humble. :rolleyes:

Shot a 4 stage USPSA classifier match tonight- mostly very short stages so I decided to have some fun and just push it and not worry about the percentages... I'm still a little mentally drained from the week running the NER so I decided what the hell! Plus these 90+ days are killing me.

Fluffy 1, High Std, Six and Seven. Don't even remember my HFs but I know the times were good but wasn't very accurate. Important thing to me was I realized I didn't see what I should have but it was one of those days where I just wanted to shoot fast and on the edge.. maybe stupid but damn was it fun.

No major matches coming up so I may try some shooting with my 686 for a change. I really am starting to like that gun. All stock but the trigger is getting nice and smooth. I might shoot a USPSA match Sunday in Production still but I think I'm going to take it easy for the next couple weeks... we'll see. I'm sure I'll do some dry firing here and there.

Since I kinda went out the other night just for fun and didn’t manage the gun well I thought it would make

a lot of sense to get in a good practice since I had to chrono some 38 special loads anyway. It was a great practice. I focused on getting a good sight picture for all shots… spent a lot of time on transitions-wide, close to far, far to close, etc, far shots, movement, and some mozambiques. Mozambique times were just great… I didn’t have a timer but I’m guessing in the 2sec range. Felt good- about 200 rounds.

Today I went to a local USPSA match. I tried to focus harder today on making good shots and not getting too crazy. I ended up 3rd in Production (3/12) and felt pretty good about the match. In general I felt my times were a little off the faster shooter's but I wanted to get good shots. This worked real well on 4 of the 5 stages... but on the classifier (Tight Squeeze) I guess I under estimated the difficulty and managed to get 2 Mikes (into the HC) and one No Shoot/Alpha!! That alone cost me 2nd place (45 match points). Funny thing is I came in 1st place on one stage.. a stage that I thought I went REAL slow. There were 5 mini poppers that you had to shoot thru some barrels... and there were no shoots behind them. I was fairly cautious there and then was able to blast thru the rest. 2nd place shooter on that stage was at 70%.... go figure. I wish it was always like that!

Well sometimes you try to stick with a plan and do... and sometimes you just drift... I have been shooting with my 686 this last week- a couple of short practices, just getting familiar with the gun and I'm really enjoying shooting this wheel gun! Not sure what I'm going to do in the short term but I'm just going to go with it for now. It's an entirely different experience that's for sure. The 686 is completely stock- the trigger is hard but it's real smooth now. I must say I'm amazed at the groups I can get out to 25 yards with this thing... with the crazy trigger. I need a lot of work on the reloading- that is going to take some time! Even though I'm a new Master in SSP... I'd be lucky if I can classify as SS in SSR with this now. Next week me and a friend plan on going to an IDPA classifier and my first ICORE match.... should be a blast!

One of the challenges I have is trying to stick with one gun for most of the year. I keep looking at the 9mm Trojan 1911 in the safe too. Man this obsession just doesn't end. Either way I know I'll go back to the G34 at some point... I think. LOL

Another practice last night with the 686, along with some dry firing. I feel like I'm shooting the gun much better now, I notice I need a much firmer grip compared to what I'm used to. The biggest challenges for me now is figuring out the gear! I can't get consistent draws with my BladeTech- for some reason the holster's muzzle end points slightly outward so when I draw it quick it seems to bind! Need to figure this out and/or get another hoster... it's making me nuts. I'm so used the my CompTac and Glocks... which just side out like butter! If anyone knows where I can get a TKW hoster for this please let me know!

I also need to work on weak/strong hand a bunch... that stock trigger sure the heck is difficult! I'd consider getting a modest trigger job but I see more revo guys with light strikes or needing to use partially crushed Fed primers- I don't need that problem!

I also don't care for the red ramp front sight... but I don't think I want to muck with that myself- maybe a trip to S&W is in it's future.

This is certainly a good learning experience. Once I get the holster and reloading stuff down- I can see this being a blast.

Edited by lugnut