Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lugnut's journey

lugnut

When I get the ambition that is. :)

Get it yet?

Yes sir.

Dear Diary... I was lost but have found my way now. :goof: Sometimes the truth is staring you in the face and you can't even see it. Sometimes it takes someone to belittle me to get me fired up. I've got my dummy rounds made and my 1/2 size USPSA targets ready to go. I'd be working this minute if I didn't have to wait for my timer to recharge. It won't be long...

I'll write more about my "training" class shortly.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dry fire tonight. Goal- 1s draw, 1.2s reload. Forearms feel like Popeye's after.

1s draw at 7 yards (3.5 yard 1/2 target) was accomplished well. Things I noticed was my weak hand didn't move fast enough, I wasn't hitting the weak hand index finger on the trigger guard hard enough and my weak hand tended to be too far forward. I think the 1 sec draw can easily be maintained and improved. Grip was good when the weak hand worked.

The reloads..... need work. I was isolating the reload with the trigger pulled back on target as a start. Reload was complete on a follow up A hit at 7 yds. I was having lots of trouble getting even 1.5s repeatably. I have to flick the gun to hit the mag release. Sometimes my "flick" was not enough, sometimes too much causes all kinds of problems. No way around the "flick" for me though. Oh and yeah.. I need to look at the magwell opening! Next practice will be only reloads.

Edited by lugnut

Looks like I'm switching to CR Speed pouches. Used them a bit when I was shooting my G35 in Limited. They sure seem to help my reloads with the CZ and they are Production legal. I'd love to try the DAA Race Master pouches but they are expensive.... and I have the CR Speeds now. Maybe the Race Masters will be a gift to myself for making my goals this spring!

Edited by lugnut

You'll love the cr speeds.

Toughest part about switching is finding the extra spacers after you've had the pouches for a few years setup for something else.

Next stop, doh holster. On second thought, forget all this. I need all the advantage i can get.

You'll love the cr speeds.

Toughest part about switching is finding the extra spacers after you've had the pouches for a few years setup for something else.

Next stop, doh holster. On second thought, forget all this. I need all the advantage i can get.

I got all the spacers- already all set Steve. ;) I like the Bladetech holster I have. I don't seem to do well with the offset or drop offset anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have improved the mechanics of my draw and reloads a bit. Still need to get more speed and consistency on the reloads. I'm working really hard on these two things for now with slight variations here and there to mix it up a bit. I'm ashamed to think it's taken me this long to realize how much these have been hurting me.

On another note... I'm generally using 1/2 sized USPSA targets. At 5 yards it seems too easy to hit the A zone- even at speed. Need to get to the range and work on these drills to see how things compare. So much to do....

EDIT: just was thinking how long I've been shooting and have had this diary/log. And it's come to this. LOL

Edited by lugnut

Been doing some dry fire but hardly any live fire. Had a window today to get out.. it's was cold and windy but I was dying to get out. I really tried to get my my first runs on drills as "real" as possible.

Draw at 7 yds- .98s. A bunch of pretty good draws in the high nines. Slow draws were in the low 1 sec range. Pushed a little and was getting in the .8s but shots were getting pretty bad. I should have moved targets out and did some. Oh well next time.

Did 2 bill drills (hands at sides though).

First run was 2.37s I think. Not too terrible for me but felt too slow.

2nd and last bill was a 1.93s- 1.00 draw, .21, .20, .20, 14, .18.

I feel like I could get more consistent with more practice.

Did another drill with 2 targets at about 8/9yds. My draw was slower- 1.1sec range. Did that a few times and wrapped it up. I was starting to push too fast and things got out of control with bad hits. That CZ SA trigger is fun to go fast... but I can't keep up with the sights!!!

No reload drills- it was too cold (did I mention it was cold- yeah I'm a pussy) and I didn't want to lose them in the snow! LOL Probably less than 100 rounds for sure... but it was still good.

I tried using both eyes and found it didn't work too well for some reason. On a single target I can... but multiple targets not so much... wierd.

EDIT: One drill I want to try. Instead of a bill drill, do three targets next to each other, 2 shots each... same time as bill drill. Yeah!

Edited by lugnut

Did 2 bill drills (hands at sides though).

First run was 2.37s I think. Not too terrible for me but felt too slow.

2nd and last bill was a 1.93s- 1.00 draw, .21, .20, .20, 14, .18.

I feel like I could get more consistent with more practice.

Sub 2 bill drill is a big step. Well done sir.

Well I'm really trying to stick to the plan. I'm committed to it now. I feel that after taking the class with Jay and Ben (and reading their books) I've figured out what really works. Something clicked in my head. I have to do my part of course but I'm convinced it will help me break thru my plateau. I've already seen improvements and there will be more to come as long as I don't get lazy or life gets in the way. There are days when I just don't get to my plan... but I will make up for it and get back on track. Amazing how I've been shooting for a half a dozen years and didn't figure this out before. Ironically... I'm still working on my damn reloads... but everything else seems to be progressing well.

And BillO- just for fun... I pulled off a 1.86s Bill- 1 C though. :) We're gonna have fun this year!

Edited by lugnut

Keep making me look bad and I'm going to switch to L10. :lol:

I doubt it Bill! That was just my best run that day. I like the drill it really tells a lot. It's hard to track the sights (at least for me) at those speeds... so I'm not sure if I'm being honest with myself. The sight is like a needle on a sewing machine to me. What's more important is to get a good draw.

PS- you don't think I would post my worst runs do you? lol Maybe I should.

My reloads are still my achilles heal. I don't want to spend too much time with other drills until I'm faster and more consistent. Here is a recent session. The gun flip is something I've always had to do to reach the mag release. I wish I had longer fingers.... I think I need to get the mag from the pouch faster. In general when I go faster I start missing the mag well or the mag gets caught up.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been training well lately. With 2+ feet of snow on the ground it's just not fun. But I just got back from a great trip to the Florida Open- awesome match and it was a blast getting out in 70 degree weather again!

Here are my stages 1-8, 10. I felt some were great, some felt good but a Mike here and there hurts. I did real well on the steel. swingers and most of the far targets. I can see several things to work on still (as usual). I need to work on grip, exploding out of positions (which means getting reloads done quicker) and transitioning my eyes to next targets faster. Overall I was pleased at how I did relative to the limited practice I've had. I feel like I'm close to getting to the next level.

Video below- feel free to provide constructive feedback. :)

I think I could work on reloads forever and still not get them perfect!!

What is perfection? Do you drop your mag, miss the mag well and the mag goes flying? Or is it simply you're not as fast as you think you should be?

Yeah maybe bad choice of words.... I'm not as fast and consistent as I want to be. At the Florida Open I noticed that in a few instances if I was reloaded quicker I could have got to the next position more aggressively and correspondingly shoot earlier. It's the one thing that is well suited for dry fire too (reloading drills that is)!

a few instances if I was reloaded quicker I could have got to the next position more aggressively and correspondingly shoot earlier. It's the one thing that is well suited for dry fire too (reloading drills that is)!

Were you standing and loading? It was a USPSA match wasn't it?