Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 627 38 super

fenwick

I just worked a fantastic deal with Mike Carmoney

for a new 627 38 super with complete make over.

I plan to shoot only 38 super loads. Need to

make 165 pf to shoot with the central iowa

practical shooters club in revolver. Plan to use

hearthco clips. I am curious about which brass

to order. Starline has 38 super reg. 38 super +P

and 38 super compd ($6 more per 500).any and

all thoughts (loads,bullets, etc.)well appreciated.

thanks

I just worked a fantastic deal with Mike Carmoney

for a new 627 38 super with complete make over.

I plan to shoot only 38 super loads. Need to

make 165 pf to shoot with the central iowa

practical shooters club in revolver. Plan to use

hearthco clips. I am curious about which brass

to order. Starline has 38 super reg. 38 super +P

and 38 super compd ($6 more per 500).any and

all thoughts (loads,bullets, etc.)well appreciated.

thanks

Just stay away from the super compd brass. I have gathered a few from others and they do not fit my moonclips. They will fall out of most clips, or at least the ones I have. later rdd

Need to make 165 pf to shoot with the central iowa practical shooters club in revolver.

USPSA? Revolver? 8 shot 38? What am I not getting? You don't shoot a 165 PF in ICORE.

Edited by Tom E

Need to make 165 pf to shoot with the central iowa practical shooters club in revolver.

USPSA? Revolver? 8 shot 38? What am I not getting? You don't shoot a 165 PF in ICORE.

CIPS is a non-affiliated combat pistol shooting club with its own renegade rules.

CIPS is a non-affiliated combat pistol shooting club with its own renegade rules.

If you are gonna shoot a power factor of 170+, you need the 38 Super +P brass. It has a thicker web near the head stamp than regular 38 Super Auto. While in an revolver, since the round is technically fully supported in the cylinder, you could probably get away with the super auto brass, I would not chance it. If one does burst in the chamber, it could flame cut the cylinder and or get wedged in there so tight you can't get it out. Bear in mind, 38 super is a very high pressure round, to make 170 is well over SAAMMI specs.

The 38 Super round is a semi rimmed case, even though in auto loaders it now headspaces on the case mouth, not the rim. In old Colt's, it headspaced on the rim, giving the round a bad name as far as accuracy went. Since most, if not all manufaturers have now changed to have it headspace on the mouth, the rim is pretty much a hold over from the past. 38 Super Comp is a rimless version of the 38 Super, which provides better feed in auto loaders (the rim can't hang up on another rim in the mag as it's being stripped from the mag to go into the chamber). Look up the 38 super page on the internet, it's got tons of info about this old round! Or talk to G-ManBart here on the forum. He's the 38 super Guru, in my opinion.

Try this website http://38super.net/

Extreeeemely well put. lol. best i've ever heard it spoke.

I hope you wont mind me calling you the next time I need

a one liner for Iowegian.

Hey Steve......congrats on your new 627 .38 Super!! Did you trade in the 627 Pro you had for sale?

I was looking all over for you at that "renegade" club today so you could zing me with your one-liner.

It's true Central Iowa Practical Shooters is a non-USPSA club but it was once affiliated and broke away years ago when USPSA had its problems. Dave Stanford straightened out USPSA ( :bow: kudoes) but CIPS never re-affiliated. Here's the funny part....there's a USPSA club down I35 a few miles that has far fewer members than CIPS. Could it be that the dictator at the OOPS club where there are no elections, no BOD, no officers and no accountability has something to do with that? A lot of us like renegades better than dictators :roflol:

Now.....about making major in .38 Super. Don't let grumpy and others scare you, Steve. Making major is a matter of using a heavy bullet at moderate velocity. I suggest the 160 gr. Billy Bullet as a good one to try since it has a long ogive LRN shape that guides your reloads right into the cylinder. I make major easily with Viht N330.

Hearthco clips are the way to go for sure but you should settle on the brass you'll use first, then have Dave Hearth tailor make the moonclips to your brass.

Have fun, :D

Bob

A16841