Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting a 10-8 u notch with a f/o front?

jsneff

I am considering switching out my black Heinie Slant Pros for a 10-8 rear and Dawson or Novak F/O front. Anyone shooting this combo please chime in.

Jeff

I did on my Springfield TRP. 10-8 rear with EGW front. I honestly prefer a more traditional Bomar square notch.

I bought and used a 10-8 rear on my M&P with a Dawson fiber front for a while. And I liked it. But then the Dawson front sight broke in two and I had to get a new front sight. I ended up with a Warren tactical/Sevigny front/rear set as that was one I could get in time for the Norwegian PD nationals. And since I got a set, I replaced the 10-8.

Havn't shot a lot with the new ones (I'm a Open shooter mostly), but I don't really have a strong preferance either way.

You get used to both designs, so after a while you don't think about it.

I depends on why you want the U-notch. I like them with plain front sights because there is one less straight edge and it draws my eye to the aligning the top edges more quickly. Depending on how disciplined you are, a dot front sight can help. It is very fast to set the dot in the U for rough alignment but you then need to transition to the top edges for precision (pretty much the same for any rear with a FO front). I tend to fixate on the dot and not make the transition.

I have both the 10-8 and the Warren Tactical and don't have a preference. They are a little different but I only notice when switching from one to the other.

I just put a factory kimber rear fixed sight on my kimber custom classic with a brazos lightining rod fiber optic (the .125 one)

I cut the rear sight down and filed a flat ledge on the rear sight and used a round file to create a U notch.

the fiber optic front wants to sit down in that "U" shape, kinda like a half ghost ring, this looks like it wil be fast but more of a short range proposition

I have thinner front sights but Im going to try this as I think the front sight currently in there is beefy enough to resist carry damage

the sight has that blocky profile now so I can use them for weak handed clearnace drills off my shoe heel or belt/pants pocket

This cost me nothing because the gun came with the rear and I had the brazos FO from before

buying the 10-8 would have been alot easier and better, but this kept me in the gun cave with something to do and it was free

Im going to try it for accuracy later today

I have SDM U- notchs on my Para and Single stack, My STI has a square Bomar, until I read this thread I had forgotton all about it. There really is no difference one way or the other. I do think I am going to buy the 10-8 fixed sight Bomar replacement as I keep waiting for my adjustable rear to break sorta like it did sometime during the VA/MD sectional I say sometime because I didnt notice it till I got home and after tanking the last three stages.

I have SDM U- notchs on my Para and Single stack, My STI has a square Bomar, until I read this thread I had forgotton all about it. There really is no difference one way or the other. I do think I am going to buy the 10-8 fixed sight Bomar replacement as I keep waiting for my adjustable rear to break sorta like it did sometime during the VA/MD sectional I say sometime because I didnt notice it till I got home and after tanking the last three stages.

what is SDM?

I shot my modified wide notch kimber factory rear with a U notch today after filing and dremeling on it to make the notch wider.

I went to the range this afternoon to see how accurate I could shoot with the new sights.

At 25 yds I pretty much kept everything within 2 to 2.5 inches from a rest with winchester 230 gr ball ammo

Standing shooting I was able to beat up my MGM mini popper at 15 yds consistently, My groups opened up considerably at 30 yds standing probably 4 or 5 inches.

I ran a bunch of drills shooting targets from 5 yds out to 25 on the timer, I really had to slow down and aim at the farthest targets with the wider notch (as compared to my bomar rear and .100 fiber optic front on my other guns).

I think its a pretty good duty/carry set up, YMMV

I have a S&W M&P9 with a 10-8 rear sight and a Hi-Viz front sight. I should probably have a narrower front, but with the width of the fiber and the height of the sights, the combination is really good. If I put the fiber concentric with the radius of the u notch then I am pretty much dead on. Like it was said before, it works sort of like a half ghost ring (i.e. it is fast).

I also really like the finish (durable) and the serrations (very fine). Unless I get a front sight of a different height, I will never replace my 10-8 rear sight.

"I also really like the finish (durable) and the serrations (very fine). Unless I get a front sight of a different height, I will never replace my 10-8 rear sight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This pretty much sums up own Thoughts on 10-8's rear...

The very fine serrations are a big plus on a fwd. sloping sight. They are not only fine they are "sharp" and don't recall having any problem with glare from them like have had with Heinie's. Still using with a serrated ramp, all-black, front but the U-Notch helps out with that too.

It's on a Glock 34 so 1st tried the narrower .125" notch width, then went to the .140" rather than fool with the front which is .125". So far it's working well enough for the Old eyeballs that haven't felt any need to change anything. Might be better with the narrower rear and a slimmer front but not to keen on trying that in the middle of the season?

All around am sold on 10-8's rear for own uses.

FWIW, used them indoors last Winter {IDPA} with a Warren Trit. front with good sucess. :surprise: