Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 revolver: rimfire recalcitrance resolved

Carmoney

(OK, enough alliteration for one night.)

During the first day of our big 3DR match, I noticed that some 617s seemed to load and unload easily, while other 617s were always sticking--to the point where one shooter was even carrying a small hammer to knock the extractor back to dump the empties. My own 617 has always exhibited that problem, and by the end of the match my thumb was sore and I was jealously eyeing that little hammer. On the other hand, Cliff and Dave shot the same gun all day, never cleaned it, and it extracted just fine all the way through.

Turns out the problem is that S&W obviously sent out some 617s with tight chambers. After purchasing and using a Manson revolver cylinder finishing reamer on those ten little chambers on my 617, I can now load the gun with ease and the empties pop right out with just a light little push on the extractor rod. I was surprised how much steel the reamer removed in order to bring the chambers out to SAAMI specification where they're supposed to be. But I'll tell you, it's like a whole new gun! I wish I had figured this out several years ago, but better late than never.

That's some good information. Thanks for sharing!

Did you get the reamer from Brownell's? Part #?

Thanks!

Yes, Clymer and Manson both list a finisher reamer specifically made for .22 rimfire cylinders. I bought the Manson, and it left a very nice finish surface. You will also need a handle and cutting oil, if you don't already have those around.

Be careful, though--these reamers keep on cutting beyond the point where the chamber is finished, and it appears possible that you could go too deep into the recessed area where the cartridge rim seats--obviously, this would increase headspace and create a misfiring problem.

another service Carmonize can offer?

Yeah, I'm going to work it into the action package on the 617 (for those guns that need it) at no extra charge, similar to the chamber reaming I do with the 625-2s and 625-8s.

Or I can just ream the cylinder for a modest charge. Those interested can PM or email me.

Were these the two that you looked at?

513-051-220

184-051-220

Any reason you picked the Manson over the Clymer?

Yes, and not really. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be identical.

I've thought about doing it to a 617 but was having a hard time finding a reamer.

I think it would help with ignition too...

You can borrow mine anytime.

We'll be in Ankeny on Sunday, if you could bring it there that would be great.

The jeep is running fine, BTW.... the battery thing was a coincidence....

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I just reamed the chambers in my 617. Manson reamer. Does take out some metal. Does make things noticeably better (loading and ejecting). Did not seem to have any effect accuracy. I shot the TDR fri .22 steel match without a msifire and without having ejection (or loading) difficulties but with the chambers reamed it definitely is better. Well worth doing.

Hey John, before you send your reamer back to Manson, try the sandpaper trick Warren described. I ran into the exact same trouble on a 617 this evening, so I chucked the reamer in my drill and after just a couple minutes of sanding the pilot it worked perfectly.

Personally, I would grind it on centers. However, not too many people have that kind of equipment, so I try to give advice that the average guy can do, when possible.

I appreciate the advice!