Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Speed

I am thinking of buying a new 650. I already have one set up for 40cal but I would like one for loading 223 and 45. But reading what has been posted about the 1050 makes me wonder if I should give some thought about a 1050.

My main question is: What makes the 1050 so much faster than a 650?

Is it a disadvantage that it is not covered by the same warranty as the 650 because it is considered a commercial machine?

Thanks

Chip

Everyting is done on the downstroke. It swages the pocket also. If you can try each I would recommend that. Personally, I skipped the 650 and went for the 1050 because after trying one out it was like shooting a SV after a shooting a Glock. They both work fine, 1050 takes less effort, and I just prefer the 1050 by a lot

L2S is right the 1050 is much smoother than the 650. I have both. I recently got a used 1050 and if I had known the diffence before I got my 650 I wouldn't have ever bothered with the 650. Everything is done on the downstroke so there is no little shove to seat the new primer at the end of each stroke, and the 1050 has more leverage so the stroke is easier.

A friend nas a 1050 and a 650. He's looking for another 1050. That being said I bought a second 1050 and never looked at the 650. He has had troubles with the upstroke and seating primers. Not problems with the 650, but with the "feel". With his 1050 he has had zero problems. Some "pro" shooters stated they prefer the 550 to the 650. I have two 1050's and a 550 and love'em all.

I've got one each 650 and 1050 right now. The 1050 is the speed king by a couple hundred rounds an hour-- mostly it gets that through smoothness and not pushing up on the handle to seat primers-- if the shellplate indexes, that's all you have to do.

But.. if you want to change calibers frequently or get reasonably-priced conversions, go with the 650-- caliber changes on the 1050 are a nuisance and $$$. I use the 1050 to load mass quantities (1000s/wk) of a single load. The 650 is used to load smaller quantities of different calibers.

When I got the 1050 set-up in 9mm (which is 85-90% of what I shoot) the deciding factor in keepint the 650 and selling my SDBs was that the caliber conversions are so much cheaper for the 650. Currently set-up as a spare press in 9mm (translates to I've been too lazy to touch it since the 1050 arrived) it will eventually be set up in .45 ACP and may get a .223 conversion if I stick with this rifle nonsense....

I bought a 1050 after one try on a former friend's. Got it used and fortunately it was set up for Super, which I shoot the most of for pistol and 3-gun. Last year, I decided to shoot Limited again, and bought a 650. The reason was simply that I can load for .40 quick and easy, and switch to .223 for 3-gun and load a hell of lot faster than I was (Rock Chucker).

If I really start shooting more 3-gun, I'll switch to Supercomp in Open (uses a .223 shellplate and I can then just spin out dies for .223), then sell the 650 and just get a conversion for .40.

In short, the 1050 is far better, and not really that much more. I would say, go with an older 1050, rather than the Super 1050. I don't like the long stroke of the Super 1050. If you can make a trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale, you can visit Dillon and load on all the presses to compare.

Rich