Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1 versus M2

bayouman

I have an opportunity to buy an M1 new in box with a 19.5 inch barrel with a total capacity is of rounds, legal for Limited. It has open rifle sights. Bbl is cylinder bore. The price is about $1k, but I am new to 3-gun and don't know the differences between the M1, M2 and M4 and if I should pass this buy and go with a newer model.

Thanks in advance.

Does it have the Ghost sights? If so, I got a M2 with the same setup for about 800$, then bought another barrel for 300$. Most people prefer a 21-22" barrel with vent rib and a FO at the end or bead. I can't really tell the difference between a M1 or M2 other than the stock.

I called my local autherized Benelli dealer and ordered a 21" M2

dealer thought they didn't exist til he called benelliUSA.

It was about $1100

In about a week I had it and the NORDIC extension from brownells.

:cheers:

The M2 is the newer revised version of the M1. It has the new comfort tech stock to help absorb recoil. The trigger guard is now plastic on the M2. It has a slimmer foregrip. The biggest difference is the barrel. The barrel is overbored and backbored with a lengthened forcing cone. It uses the new Crio chokes instead of the Mobile chokes. The M2 shoots a good bit softer. The M4 is a gas operated shotgun. Very nice gun but not very good for our game since it is capacity and barrel hindered. I'd say get an M1 or M2 with a 21" vent rib barrel and then put the Nordic +5 extension tube on it to hold 8(flush with the end of the 21" VR barrel). Get a welded lifter from C-Rums,an extended bolt handle if you prefer,an extended bolt release button,and a good fiber front sight and have a 10/22 sight installed into the rib of the barrel. Or.....send it to Benny.

Expect to pay $1000-$1200 for an M2 and anywhere from $600-$1000 for an M1. Those are prices in stock configuration. They still need some add ons to get them game ready. The M2 DOES shoot a bit softer than the M1.

Edited by 00bullitt

I was told about the horrible recoil of the Benelli's but bought one anyway, M2 Field with 21" VR, comfort tech stock, and the smallest recoil pad they make. I took it out and ran 150 rounds of Winchester AA Super Sport, 1350 FPS 1 oz. 7 1/2 shot, and my shoulder didn't fall off, I could tell I had shot some shells but it wasn't bad, I'v never shot a M1 but I would think the recoil would be more since it doesn't have the Comfort tech stock. I say get the M2 and never look back

Recoil reduction in the M2 is due more in part to the overbored/backbored barrel with lengthened forcing cones than the comfort tech stock. I have put a comfort tech on my M1 and could not tell any difference. I could in turn tell a difference with the M2 barrel on my M1.

And the Limbsaver pad is worth its weight in gold.

Edited by 00bullitt

Recoil reduction in the M2 is due more in part to the overbored/backbored barrel with lengthened forcing cones than the comfort tech stock. I have put a comfort tech on my M1 and could not tell any difference. I could in turn tell a difference with the M2 barrel on my M1.

Didn't know the comfort tech could be made to fit the M1, I ran a M2 barrel on my M1 for a couple years and just recently got another M1 barrel and I can't tell the difference.

It swapped out enough to be able to try and tell if they really worked as advertised or not. To me.....it felt as if the barrel was the difference. Slightly different feel,but more noticable when running multiple targets. I used 4 US Poppers to index on and could read the sights slighlty better from shot to shot with the M2 barrel than the M1. When just shooting the 2 barrels into the berm it was a bit harder to tell the difference in feel,but I could tell.

KZ - say hello to Tasia. I will talk with you a little about the M2 if I make the Baker match.

I greatly appreciate the useful information from all on this topic. As a newbie I can't imagine getting by without a board like Brian's board.

KZ - say hello to Tasia. I will talk with you a little about the M2 if I make the Baker match.

I greatly appreciate the useful information from all on this topic. As a newbie I can't imagine getting by without a board like Brian's board.

Tasha said don't forget the treats (bacon) I should be there this time and I'll bring the Benelli so you can shoot it

And the Limbsaver pad is worth its weight in gold.

I am by no means a shotgun expert so if this question is ridiculous please enjoy a good laugh on my account.

I have an M1 that I am rigging up for 3 gun. I am curious to find out if I can have my barrel overbored/backbored and have the forcing cone lengthened?

If it possible is it worth the cost?

Benelli barrels are chromelined so that pretty much rules out doing anything to them. It would be more cost effective to just get the M2 barrel.

Most shotgun barrels are not chromelined so its pretty easy to do. Chrome lining requires very expensive tools to cut through it and then the remaining chrome will start flaking off unless rechromed.

I have an M-2 set up about like 00's description and though not very recoil sensitive I can shoot faster splits on multiple targets with it than with an M-1. I also think the M-2 may be just a bit more reliable than the m1, but I'm sure not everyone has the same opinion.

Having shot the M1 and M2 a lot, I would not say there is not a whole bunch of difference between the two, not so much that it will turn you from an A grade to a Master at any rate.

Either one with a 21 inch plus ribbed barrel, multi choke will serve you very well indeed.

Benelli barrels are chromelined so that pretty much rules out doing anything to them. It would be more cost effective to just get the M2 barrel.

Most shotgun barrels are not chromelined so its pretty easy to do. Chrome lining requires very expensive tools to cut through it and then the remaining chrome will start flaking off unless rechromed.

Other than being slighty easier to clean, what is the big deal about a chrome lined shotgun barrel? If I was taking my gun to sea it might make a difference but having had both lined and unlined barrels in the past, what purpose the lining serves escapes me. Is there an advantage I am failing to consider?

I have used both the M1 and the M2. I agree with Todd that the M2 shoots softer but I never had a recoil problem with the M1. Both are great guns and if you are going to save more than $200 on an M1 I do not believe you will be disappointed.

Other than being slighty easier to clean, what is the big deal about a chrome lined shotgun barrel? If I was taking my gun to sea it might make a difference but having had both lined and unlined barrels in the past, what purpose the lining serves escapes me. Is there an advantage I am failing to consider?

I have used both the M1 and the M2. I agree with Todd that the M2 shoots softer but I never had a recoil problem with the M1. Both are great guns and if you are going to save more than $200 on an M1 I do not believe you will be disappointed.

The chrome lining is so hard that your barrel will not "Wear Out". They chrome line M16 Barrels for the same reason. Easier to clean and wear like....well... hard chrome.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I have NEVER met ANYONE who "wore out" a shotugn barrel! The hard chrome is to ensure CONSISTENT wad/shot collum speration, giving better patterns. Anyone with the right tooling can backbore, cut, polish, destroy, any shotugn barrel reguradless of chrome or not, it is just that you need really good (tungsten carbide) tooling!

As a side note a real rough barrel also aides in consistent wad release.....kind of like a Vang comp barrel. KurtM