Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southern Food

kimel

Okra is good in all forms. Stewed with tomatoes and onions, fried, pickled. If it is okra I will eat it. Loosing wait here(TX) isn't hard. I just eat enough for one not the normal meal for 3. I drink unsweet tea. It is rare to find a place that serves sweet tea without asking. There is sugar and that pink stuff on every table. Vegetables are served here. Ever had fried corn? It is great. Fried pickles are good too. CHICKEN FRIED STEAK IS THE GREATEST THING EVER INVENTED! I have salad for a meal on occasion, smothered in cheese, bacon bits, and Ranch dressing! TXAG

Rhino:

I would only reccomend the last entry, that sounds most like the Hot Brown from the Brown Hotel here in Louisville. (you may reduce the portions but do not substitute anything for the Butter or Cream! Barbarians... <_<

Shooter Grrl:

I am perfectly healthy, enjoy my life and have been eating Southern food and lots of red meat for 52 years. Please leave your left coast, pc, culinary misinformation behind and welcome to America! :D Now that you have escaped your oppressive background you will not need to feel guilty about enjoying what you eat. If you want to loose weight, exercise more and eat less but enjoy what you are eating!

Red Meat: It's what's for dinner. Preferably grilled rare to medium rare. If you need a steak knife it was not prepared properly. If it needs steak sauce send it back.

Ribs: again, they do not need sauce although you may like some for variety. They should be smoked over hickory for at least 12 hours or you have been cheated.

Thanksgiving is coming up. Smoked or deep fried turkey.

Chicken: If you ever come to a match near Louisville you need to visit Claudia Sanders, the Colonel's Lady in Shelbyville. Next to my mothers its the best Kentucky Fried Chicken you will ever have. NOT to be confused with that stuff they sell at KFC fast food joints.

Have you tried the country ham, with red eye gravy and beaten biscuits yet?

Good golly but you guys can make someone hungry.  Next thing there will be pictures of bbq and chicken fried steak in the gallery section.

Kimel,

You are supposing that there is time for a picture between the time the chicken fry hits the table and gets eaten by a hungry shooter. :D San Angelo boasts some of the best chicken fry (chicken fried steak) in the country, second only to my Mother's. I won't order it anywhere else anymore, to many disappointments. :(

Liota

Feel free to call us, if you are so inclined, and we can go chicken fry hunting (I like that kind of hunting...the wily chickenfrys are rather slow moving...).

Liota and I are the only "Wakal" in the book :)

Alex

Enrique's has them beat pretty good. Although, any of the Chicken Fry in the city is better than any other city I've been to. Some close seconds are in small towns within match attendance distances of San Angelo.

I do have to make a terrible admission. It may result in my being run out of town on a rail, but here goes. I am not the world's biggest fan of Chicken Fry. That being said, I still like a little bit from Enrique's or Cotton Patch every so often.

BTW, Zentner's has the best garlic seasoning of a steak yet. :)

The last place you ate was Mejor Que Nada. It is better than a lot of things.

Liota

Well, I have not eaten in San Angelo, but the Chicken Fried at Goodson's Cafe in Tomball rates an A+ if you live around here. Good as it is, the old Goodson's was better. The old one was just a hole in the wall type place but famous for miles around. If you eat Chicken Fried steak, don't care who makes it, if the cream gravy isn't good, get up and leave.

YEah, that was the name, if I had remembered my high school Spanish I could have remembered that. Zentners has the best onion rings anywhere. For the biggest steaks(also very good) at the best price, try Somerville Steak House in Somerville, TX if you are ever that way. TXAG