Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What "type" of person gravitates towards practical shooting?

Anon

Once you've experienced USPSA/IDPA/etc. competition shooting, the whole "stand in one place, bolt upright and immobile as you slow fire on a single target" thing that is the typical gun range experience....well, let's just say, the thrill is gone. :lol:

Once you've experienced USPSA/IDPA/etc. competition shooting, the whole "stand in one place, bolt upright and immobile as you slow fire on a single target" thing that is the typical gun range experience....well, let's just say, the thrill is gone. :lol:

I still go to the range for fun but it just isn't the same as runnin' and gunnin'!

I just don't know why I waited so long to do it. I should have started 5 years earlier. I just didn't have all of my priorities straight at the time. It seems like a lot of wasted time now.

I could have been much better than I am now and I would not have made the same gun buying choices I did.

+1......I made that observation a couple days ago while shooting with a friend. No matter what guns we bring to the range, we always end up action shooting, it's never 'stand and shoot'.

I gravitated and stayed with IPSC shooting because I love how it feels at that moment when you have finished a stage and you can feel the high from all the adrenaline as you unload and show clear. This is my addiction...........

You know what I mean.....if you have ever experienced it.

Face it gentlemen, obsessive hobbies are a socially acceptable substitute for not getting enough sex. A poor substitute maybe, but there you have it.

I know there are many individual exceptions to this but there are many many more for whom it is reality. Especially those who try to deny it. :devil:

Roy

who has a long list of hobbies....

That's a completely valid observation, but I think that a lot of us choose this lifestyle. My girlfriend hates being put off for dry-fire time. I think th OP has something in that certain personality types do tend to cling to obsessive hobbies. Personally, I started shooting after I quit playing World of Warcraft. I put about 80-100 hours a week into that video game for two years before having to drop out of college because I was broke and spending all my time playing video games. By the way, if you think shooters aren't getting enough sex, go by the nearest gaming lounge and laugh until you get bored.

I think USPSA could have a big appeal to individuals who are already involved in obsessive games like World of Warcraft, DnD online, etc. They're already putting in more time than it takes to get good at USPSA, and they're spending it behind a keyboard instead of a gun. The gun is way more fun, and there are lots of parallels. Instead of character levels, we have classes. Instead of raids, we go to matches. I've been shooting guns my whole life, but I think my love for gaming is what really caused my addiction to practical shooting.

I spent about 8 years or so with Martial Arts, specifically Tae Kwon Do and Pa Pu Tang Lang. Great exercise, but to be honest, unless you are starting that out at a very young age and continuing you are not going to get more than exercise. Actually sparring started to really hurt around my late 40's You start to take too long to heal and point sparring is sort of like dryfiring, you are going through the motions, but not sending any rounds downrange.

USPSA, 3-Gun and the like allow me and most of us to compete flat out, no holds barred against all comers and still get up in the morning an go to work. No bruises, no broken bones, very little danger of any injury at all really. In MA I had some cracked ribs, a broken nose, a broken toe, more than a few bruises. And sometimes it just plain hurt to move for a few days. Great if you are a kid, not so good if you are a salesman.

Yeah, I grew up shooting. Did small-bore, high-power, bullseye and plinking. The shooting is great and the people I've met are better. I know I can leave my daughter and or my guns with these people and not worry. I wouldn't be so sure at some other gatherings.

Jim

Extremely close to my reasonings... especially the no few bruises, no broken bones, etc. After the age of 40, while kickboxing and the like are still fun, the body doesn't recover as quickly (especially the ribs!!!)

I also have spent many years in the MA. I studied Showdakon, Bushido, and Jiu-Jitsu. I did the tournament thing for awhile and trained for UFC. I ended my MA career after reconsturection of my knee and shoulder. I have always loved competion sports that involve muscle memory activites. When I was sparring or fighting i rarely did thought about my motions. I find when i running a stage i just go back to muscle memory.

to your original question, who gravitates towards practical shooting? I think people of all forms of life. 99.9 percent of people are some of the nicest you will ever meet. I think people who have grown up around guns all thier lives, who found a sport that they could do besides shooting a paper target 15yds away with a bunch of holes, and then going home. this sport allows you to meet people with some of the same interest that you have, and can be more characterized as a social event as well as a sporting event.

For me its the focus similar to riding a motorcycle, without the danger.

A shooter friend from WAY back first introduced me to the MBTI. And we both like motorcycles. I can still remember how excited he was when I took the test and was reading the results and we got to the common interests part. And guess what, we both were naturally drawn to motorcyles and guns (among other things). ;)

be

Good question!

I have shot trap , skeet, sporting clays, High Power and Long range rifle before coming across this venue. I can say without hesitation This is the most fun I have ever had with clothes on!!!!

I do not watch or participate in team sports. I do not want to let a team member down with my performance or be let down by thiers, been there done that.

What I like about the shooting sports is the fact that I and I alone am responsible for my score. I really don't shoot against anyone else as my sole motive. I just want to shoot better every time. If I can win a match that's just icing on the cake.

The aspect of refining my performance is what drives me push's me forward.

Mildot

• 2 months later...
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've always been fascinated by handguns. From the time I was a little kid. Don't know why, I just have been. Also I am, if this doesn't sound contradictory, a fairly serious introvert who likes people. I'm comfortable spending large amounts of time alone, thinking about shooting, doing the immense amount of solitary experimentation and repetition it requires to become good at this, but I also enjoy the social aspect of the matches, as well. Then there is the attraction of becoming really, really good at something. The understanding, as your skill level improves, that you have to move away from gurus and figure things out for yourself, that you have to (largely) move away from equipment and technique into the ever more fascinating arena of the mental game. It's compelling.

good post

, I started shooting after I quit playing World of Warcraft. I put about 80-100 hours a week into that video game for two years before having to drop out of college because I was broke and spending all my time playing video games. By the way, if you think shooters aren't getting enough sex, go by the nearest gaming lounge and laugh until you get bored.

I think USPSA could have a big appeal to individuals who are already involved in obsessive games like World of Warcraft, DnD online, etc. They're already putting in more time than it takes to get good at USPSA, and they're spending it behind a keyboard instead of a gun. The gun is way more fun, and there are lots of parallels. Instead of character levels, we have classes. Instead of raids, we go to matches. I've been shooting guns my whole life, but I think my love for gaming is what really caused my addiction to practical shooting.

yeah ive done a good share of playing first person shooters i really enjoy the call of duty series and i played bf2142 and was ranked 1st on the US combat leaderboard for a while ((

))

ipsc and idpa are new games to play, except with these games i get to drive places and meet new people face to face, get some exercise and practice and improve more applicable skills.