Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wanted a XL 650 with a case feeder.

But after talking to Brian, he talked me into a RL 550B w/o a case feeder. In this economy, it's great to find a company that sells you only what you need. By helping me buy only what I need, he lost over $330.00 in sales. That says a lot for Brian and his business practice.

I know, he does this all the time. :cheers:

Life is Good,

A.T.

But after talking to Brian, he talked me into a RL 550B w/o a case feeder. In this economy, it's great to find a company that sells you only what you need. By helping me buy only what I need, he lost over $330.00 in sales. That says a lot for Brian and his business practice.

I know, he does this all the time. :cheers:

Life is Good,

A.T.

Well if it makes you feel better just send me the $330 and I'll spend it in Brian's webstore. :cheers:

Can't believe you gave up a case feeder though?

The "Pro" (Brian) said I didn't need it. You can bet, if in the future I 'have' to have it, I know where to go.

Life is Good,

A.T.

Personally, I don't understand these things I've read on the internet that autoindexing reloaders reduce your flexibility and greatly increase the complexity of reloading and the auto shellfeeder doesn't really increase your reloading speed that much.

I used a SDB for 18 years and really liked auto-indexing, wouldn't go back to anything but that.

Got the 650 FOR the shellfeeder.

The shellfeeder means you don't have to take your hand off the handle, just place the bullet with your left hand and crank out another round. Mine is 100% reliable.

If this is your first reloader I think the 650 is too much machine unless you are a very mechanically inclined person or have a good friend who has one and is willing to come show you how to set it up and run it.

So, what's the deal? I have friends who come over and see the 650 in action and start counting the money in the sofa cushions.

So, what's the deal? I have friends who come over and see the 650 in action and start counting the money in the sofa cushions.

Thats the reason I have two sofas in my place. More cushions to look under equals more money equals half the wait time! I have a 550 and bought a casefeeder. The casefeeder is awesome! but only after you get the bugs out. I had to grind some metal from two places on my primer feeder base so it allows clearance.

Yeah, none of this it cheap but once I start cranking out rounds, wow what an upgrade!!

My wife came in after I had it all set up and said "So, show me why this is so great".

After I showed her the whole thing in operation, she just kinda shook her head.

Then the light went on in my brain, I compared the features to her new $2500 sewing machine.

Oh, THEN she got it!

We all have dumb hobbies.

Thanks AT!

It's actually pretty common for me to get a call from a guy who wants to buy a 650 - because he's got a couple friends with 650's who tell everyone that they need a 650 regardless of their actual reloading circumstances - when he'd actually be much happier and efficient with a 550.

Before I start clicking his order together, I ask him what his plans are for the 650. "Well, I'm going to load 4 calibers, 2 rifle and 2 pistol, and I shoot about 1500 rounds/month in all 4 calibers." The next thing I ask is how many rounds he plans to load before switching to another caliber. "Well, maybe 2 or 300" is common answer. In that case he'd be much better off with a 550.

If the same guy was going to load a couple thousand rounds before changing calibers, well then the 650 would make sense.

be

Well, I've not switched between a pistol and a rifle caliber but I've switched between two pistol calibers requiring the full changeover (primer size change) with my 650 and it's not hard at all.

I was on the phone with a customer today... He had a 650, but could never get the priming system to 100%, so he bought a 550 with a Casefeeder - and he loves it.

Normally, if a customer has to have a Casefeeder then I steer them toward a 650. It makes sense, but since with a Casefeeder your hand never leaves the handle, that's when the 650's auto-indexing really comes into play.

But manual indexing does have some advantages. (If you don't have a good bit of experience with both presses, I know that's hard to believe. I have customer with a lot of experience with both presses, and they almost always same the same thing: They like the 650 for more "production runs," and they like the 550 for it's reliability and versatility.) When you're working up loads or clearing a stopage, the fact that the Shellplate does not auto-index is really cool thing. It's also super easy to eliminate "spillage problems" because you are controlling the Shellplates movement.

One thing with the 550, w/o a Casefeeder and manual indexing - it's loading rate is more operator dependent than any other Dillon press. But if you get the feel for her and get in the rhythm - you can really roll the rounds out of one. Back in the day I could load 750 rds/hr on a 550 (pistol).

I think I'll start a 550 Casefeeder owers poll...

be

I have 2 550s that I've had for about 15 years on one and 12 years on the other. I could have bought any press out there

including 650 or 1050. I have used just about every progressive made including C&H, Green Machine, Star, etc. etc. I have

logged a lot of hours on all kinds over more than 30 years of reloading. All had their strong and weak points. Most were

auto indexing. I picked the 550 because of the easy changeover and manual indexing. The simpler mechanism is easier to

deal with when a jam occurs. I have 14 toolheads, each with it's own powder measure. One press is set up for large primers,

one for small. That is the fast easy way to do 100 to 500 each of several different loadings without a lot of downtime due to

change over and making adjustments. I have been loading a lot of .38 lately, so got a casefeeder and put on the small primer

press. There were a few bugs to work out, but it works fine now. It was throwing used primers all over the floor. Put duct

tape around the top of the primer catcher to extend it upward and trimmed it for minimum clearance with the bottom of the

shell transfer plate with scissors. Now only an occasional one gets away. That was the worst problem - having primers

all over the floor and jamming up the primer feed slide. Everything is working good now. Overall, I would rate the Dillon

presses as being the most user friendly ones out there. Thanks Dillon and Brian!

Thanks for that nice post Warren. A lot of guys new to reloading... trying to decide between the 550 or 650 could really benefit from it. With your amount of experience - and on every machine there is - the fact that you ended up with 2 550's says A LOT.

be