Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith recommendations

RAZZ

I am planning on having spare limited gun built out of a complete functioning STI 2011 lower and parts that I have accumulated over the years. Does anyone here have a recommendation on a gunsmith for this project? It is basicaly going to be nothing more (hopefully) than fitting a barrel, and a slide-to-frame. I don't need pretty, just reliable. Any recommendations?

Edited by RAZZ

Personally I would only have a better gun built, a spare gun could be your single stack, or your carry gun, after all your primary gun should be double tuff and ultra reliable. Any gun build is going to be expensive so go first class and make the old gun the backup.

I don't know if Dan Bedell is too busy for this type of project, if he isn't you would have a great gun. He built my STI and it's super reliable. Bedell Custom's number is 716-681-2248. Hope this helps.

Hard to go wrong with the first guy to reply. Benny builds first rate guns, for a more than fair price.

I cant think of any gunsmith worth a darn that will accept a build under the terms you just stated.

I've had awesome luck with EGW and more recently with Matt McLearn. Matt's got a couple crappy jobs that I dumped on him right now. He just fixed a 1911 Single Stack .40 for me that two other gunsmiths had screwed up. Works great now. He's also got a .45 that I built (the horror) that he's double checking to see how badly I screwed it up. Not too many gunsmiths that would be willing to do that.

I've had awesome luck with EGW and more recently with Matt McLearn. Matt's got a couple crappy jobs that I dumped on him right now. He just fixed a 1911 Single Stack .40 for me that two other gunsmiths had screwed up. Works great now. He's also got a .45 that I built (the horror) that he's double checking to see how badly I screwed it up. Not too many gunsmiths that would be willing to do that.

I had some work done on my Para P-16 by Brazos Custom and I can tell you it runs flawlessly. Turn around time was fairly quick as well. I'm sure a number of members can step right on in with other recommendations.