Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Lip Of Mags Tearing Off

chp5

The front part of some of my well-used mags are tearing. It's the top of the mag directly in front of the follower.

I noticed the newest mags made by Glock now have metal all the way up to the top of the mag - where mine only have platic and are tearing (an improved design apparently).

I've not noticed any problems with the functioning of these mags, but was wondering if it will eventually ruin the mags.

No big deal on my 10 rounders, but's it's an expensive exercise to replace the pre-ban mags.

Trimming the front of the mags is a procedure that is pretty easy. If you have a sticky mag and can't figure out where it is hanging? Trimming the front can cure it. Usually you don't have to take a lot of material off either. Depending on how it is buggered up, I'll either use a flat file to get it true again, or just use a knife to pare it down. But I have never had them misfeed or anything due to the front of the mags being all torn up.

Eric - after you trimmed you mags, were they reliable?

Yes...but, basically you really don't have a choice. There's no way short of a plastic welder (and that's a big maybe) to build up the material, so trimming off the gook is the only game in town.

Worst case, you can cobble up some new mags with the Scherer tubes. (If they even still make the damned things. Do they...?)

I just tuned a Glock follower for the 13 round 40 Scherer tube. Had to replace one of my 23 mags. You are actually tuning and dremeling the follower and not the tube. I used the same website that has been provided and it hand cycles perfect. I will shoot it in the next few days and see what happens.