Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

just curious

USAS is very AR-ish. A little pricey and it's a destructive device. I have a feeling that someone will soon build a AR type shotgun. I think 20 ga would be fine for 3 gun.

Hence, if it is made here in the States, it gets the DD designation. And that might also explain why the Saiga's come into this country in their sporterized/hunterized versions, and NOT the full blow pistol gripped AK-47 goodness it wants to be.

Maybe someone has tinkered with converting an 870 or an 1100 to a box magazine fed. I don't know for sure... but that would be sweet also (as long as it didn't look ugly).

Hence, if it is made here in the States, it gets the DD designation. And that might also explain why the Saiga's come into this country in their sporterized/hunterized versions, and NOT the full blow pistol gripped AK-47 goodness it wants to be.

Maybe someone has tinkered with converting an 870 or an 1100 to a box magazine fed. I don't know for sure... but that would be sweet also (as long as it didn't look ugly).

dd designation??????destructive device, just guessing

Actually, there IS such a gun, and it IS now a "DD"

DD = "Destructive Device" - i.e. - a firearm covered by the NFA Title II (aka Class III).

DD = same general set of restrictions & $200 tax as "silencers" and machineguns, although DDs can still be built with prior BATFE approval.

usas-12-1.jpg

Around 1994 or 95, anyone could buy the USAS 12, just like you would buy a Remington 1100 or Benelli. The USAS 12 was & is normal semi-automatic shotgun, and like the Saiga, it uses a box magazine.

Without warning, the then BATF decided that the USAS-12 was not a regular "sporting" shotgun and designated the USAS 12 as a D D (along with the shotgun-revolver known as the "street sweeper"). Owners were allowed to surrender their guns to the government for destruction or register them without paying for the required $200 tax stamp. While a citizen might have bought a USAS 12 the day before, just like any other shotgun, suddenly, that shooter had a Class III gun on his or her hands with all the restrictions (no interstate travel without permission; can't sell it unless buyer first obtains $200 stamp after several months wait & BATFE grants approval, etc).

This action in the 90s creates a precedent for the same thing to happen to the Saiga - though as long as they are imported in their current configuration (and that is required under still other provisions governing import), there probably won't be action taken against the Saiga.

The USAS 12 was developed by Max Atchisson in the US, and produced by Daewoo in South Korea.

I might add that the same sort of "re-classification" if done today, would probably be challenged under Heller without regard to the incorporation issue, since Heller (so far) applies to the federal government and apparently the 9th Cir. as well.

dd designation??????destructive device, just guessing

Edited by Carlos

JP triggers work great...no surprise there (other than the platform)...

Alex_Shotgun_3GN2007.jpg

CMMG is working on one, the last time I talked to those folks (they had a dummy gun at the last SHOT, and told me that they were working hard to get them ready to go for the next SHOT, in the $1,200 price range). The idiots at Dreadnaught Industries were kicking around some ideas, too. And I have seen some technical drawings of one that that was being build overseas, but I doubt that will be allowed in the country. Neat design with the gas system under the barrel, so the bore axis was nice and low. What a good idea...hmm...

Alex

How about a 12 guage belt fed upper for your AR?

It looks like they still need to work the bugs out.

There aren't any rules about a belt fed shotgun so it should be OK in tac scope. :)

How about a 12 guage belt fed upper for your AR?

It looks like they still need to work the bugs out.

There aren't any rules about a belt fed shotgun so it should be OK in tac scope. :)

ya, but nine round belts would suck. I'm thinking open only. :D

I think I recall that someone was/is making a box feed for the Mosberg 500 series and I thought they were doing the 870s as well. Wasn't exactly a drop-in part though.