Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lesson Learned

PaulW

I know, I know, I know. I have probably heard or said it a bazillion times. It's not the equipment that makes a shooter, it's the shooter.

I tell you what though this stood out so bold in my head after coming back from the Georgia State match. I saw what Max, Chris T., and Travis T. were shooting and said "DUH". Thay all shoot 5 - 5.5 inch guns with nothing special about them. Max does not even use hybrid holes, juat an S-2 comp with some slide lightening.

Now my gun ran 100% in Georgia, but I had to ask myself "WHY"? Why are they using big long heavy guns? My answer: Because it really does not matter that much.

My quest for well over a year has been this short light gun thing. Why, because thats where I thought I could gain a little bit of an edge.

Well my whole thinking has now turned a 180. It's not so much about the equipment as it is techniqe and skill. I watched Max shoot stage 1 in 9 seconds and change. I shot the same stage in 11 seconds and change, with a miss. So tell me where the short light gun help me there. Yep, exactly, it didn't.

Now one short gun I would love to own is the one Bob at Brazo's makes. I think Bob got sick of me hanging around his table, playing with his short gun. Naa, Bob and I spoke about a bunch of different topics and he is really a knowledgable guy and super nice. His gun is swwweeeettttt! Just don't know how I could afford one, believe me Bob I tried to find a way (haha). I did get one of Bob's new style comps. Looks like it will work great. I'll let you know when I get it on a gun.

Anyways, the moral of the story is to find a gun that works 110% and shoot the snot out of it. I shot a whopping 81% of Max, I'm not even in the same universe as he is. How do you go about getting moved down in class? HAHA, just kidding, just hard to compete against the very best, and I saw several of the best this weekend.

I noticed the same thing in Bend. At the Open shootoffs, I didn't see a single short/light gun. Unless you count that French kid's Tanfoglio. :D

Doesn't mean I don't lust after a Brazos Sx or Dawson Mini, though. The grass is always greener on the other side...

Just my .02, but having shot with these guys at several matches:

1.) Guns are 110%

2.) Practice, Practice, Practice, and Practice.

3.) Ability to shoot A's (standing, kneeling, leaning, Running, entering position, leaving position, ect.)

3.) Stage prep.

When these guys look at a stage, it is amazing to me what they see and how they prepare to shoot. There were several stages where they came away shooting only half the positions that I though were needed to complete the course. There is absolutely no wasted time!

Paul, your right on track with your thoughts.

TheItalionStalion,

With the long and heavy gun it could have been 13 with 2 misses?

Wrong Answer.......

Neither had anything to do with the gun, but rather the shooter and basic fundamentals.

Paul

I've shot with Max twice, with Todd and Chris once each. It's very humbling. At the 2001 area 6 I had comp problems, but it was still fun to see the whole squad go with my game plan a couple times. They're open to anyone's idea, if it's good.

What MarkM said about shooting out of fewer positions - it's critical at the tournaments, where these stage designs will always be found.

If you can call your shot under all conditions, then you HAVE to do it the most 'gamey' way, the supersquad way. The time savings can't be passed up. Even if those shots look sketchy in the walk-thru, just tell yourself that you will stay with each shot visually and you will break it in the A zone.

I shoot with C. Tilley a fair amount at local matches and such. I often squad with him just to watch. Your right it's not the gun. He just knows how to shoot , and very quickly I might add. He also told me that he was putting 3000 rds. a week down range getting ready for nationals , so there is alot of hard work behind what he does. I can't think of very many sports where the average amatuer get to compete right alongside the big dogs. These guys are all essentially professional shooters and trying to match them while maintaining some semblance of a normal career can be quite trying to say the least. I saw Paul shoot stage 8 at the GA match and he looked pretty damn good to me. He was also nice enough to come say hello after his run when he saw me in a BE shirt. I bet if he had the time and resources to devote his total life to shooting , he would be right there with the Max's and Tilley's .

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words Bill. Stage 8 was one off my better stages. Sunday I shot soo much better. I'm learning and that come with experience.

Yes it was great to meet you as well. I also met Chris Patty, John G. (singletsack) and Roger K. All super nice guys. Wish we all had more time to sit around an BS.

"TheItalionStalion,

With the long and heavy gun it could have been 13 with 2 misses?

Wrong Answer.......

Neither had anything to do with the gun, but rather the shooter and basic fundamentals. "

That was a joke, trust me, I firmly believe its the shooter and not the gun. <_<

Paul,

You know that I have spent far more time seeking the "ultimate" feeling/shooting gun to the point of sacrificing capacity, hearing and cost to shoot the wildcat flavor of the week. With all of that said, I agree 100% that the gun comprises such a small element of your match that it is practically irrelevant. However, if it fails in any way it becomes VERY RELEVANT to your match score!

Somebody's sig says "pick one and practice..." those are profound words.

But my gun is still better than yours! :P

Leo

Picking your caliber and ultimate blaster is half the fun of shooting. However, that being said, that is one of the first things you do, cause after you get it built, dialed in and running good. The time for gun experiments are over. Then it is stage and match strategy and tactics, and you ability to perform under pressure which matter, not if yur foo foo gun is purty.

Leo,

What universe are you from again. Your POS 9x25 may run 100%, but the flinching part I'll never get over. Hell I flinch when you shoot that and I'm standing 3 bays down. And you wonder why I never squad with you...... :D