Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finished SX3 Tactical shotty

00bullitt

Finally done with the SX3. It started life as a 26" Composite chambered for 3" only. The barrel has been cut from 26" to 22" and rethreaded for the invector plus chokes. The extension is the Nordic +4 and is flush with the end of the barrel. Capacity is 8 in the tube and has the Nordic follower in it. I tig welded up the lifter and finished it to a mirror shine to ease damage on the thumb from any mishap with the weak hand load. Pics show the 10/22 front sight milled nicely into the rib. Front sight is a TruGlo .060" fiber optic .

Bolt release is the Progressive Arms model that used to be made by Progressive Machine and Tool. It attaches and covers the button with double stick tape.

There is another company making the bolt releases that are a bit nicer now. Jamie McReynolds is making the Xcc button. Xtreme Competition Concepts. Very nice and is now available.

Finished weight of the gun with the 22" barrel is 6lbs.13oz.

post-8688-1245975528_thumb.jpg

post-8688-1245975543_thumb.jpg

post-8688-1245975564_thumb.jpg

post-8688-1245975589_thumb.jpg

post-8688-1245975602_thumb.jpg

Now that is Purdy! Very well done.

Watch out for that PMT bolt release. The center button started to stick when it was depressed creating all sorts fo havok (I think is was sticking to adhesive from the back of the surrounding piece causiing this). I took mine off.

Edited by DMAC

For anyone that has done the SureCycle upgrade to your FN,SX2,SX3,or Browning Gold....can you comment on what was done and if you think it was worth doing? I know they do something with the piston and some polishing but not real sure what is involved.

Sweetness! I've been contemplating the upgrades to mine now... Kicking around leaving the barrel at 26" and adding a Nordic +5 tube.. Would work well for matches like RM3G.. Really haven't made up my mind about cutting the barrel yet. Decisions, decisions.

The work on the lifter and the cuts on the receiver look great. :cheers:

Any contact info for XCC please? looks like just the job for my wife's SX3, which if I ask nicely she may let me bring to the Pan Americans next year. If I am allowed to go of course.

Geoff

For anyone that has done the SureCycle upgrade to your FN,SX2,SX3,or Browning Gold....can you comment on what was done and if you think it was worth doing? I know they do something with the piston and some polishing but not real sure what is involved.

SRM will seal the gas piston by replacing the spring inside with an aluminum sleeve. They then install the "surecycle" recoil spring system that allows the use of light loads up to the heaviest loads. I never had one of the gas pistons break but I have heard of another shooter that has had several. I do know that the new piston will allow for the use of very light trap loads and low recoil buck and slug with great reliability.

If it were me, I would save a little money and time by seeing if SRM Performance will sell just the sealed gas piston and the surecycle recoil spring setup. The other work they do to the shotgun looks to have already been done on yours.

• 4 weeks later...
Who cut your barrel down and did the rethreading? I am wanting the same thing done to my SX2. I looking for 22" length.

Thanks

Stan Baker Sports in Washington State did the work. (206)522-4575

They are the only ones in the country that can rethread back to Invector or Invector Plus from what I understand.

Price was $280 total

$200 to rethread and include one choke

$60 to cut and reface the barrel

$20 for return shipping

Turna around was 3 weeks

• 3 months later...