Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Definition Hat-Cam: Indoor IDPA

Warning: These files will be *HUGE* ... Together they're over 200MB.

But the quality (even the audio) is absolutely AMAZING for a camera that is small enough to mount on a hat.

They are also totally unedited. So if it happened while I was running the camera, it's in there. Couple of funny 'oh s**t' moments.

Once I find some software that will let me edit out the non-shooting time (my current software kills the quality when I open them)... and convert them to a different format, they shouldn't be so enormous. Or full of not-shooting time you have to FFWD through.

http://home.off-road.com/~mithrandir/video/hd_hatcam/

If you're only going to watch one, I recommend "FILE0024" - that was a good, fast stage which I shot pretty well. Video is fun to watch.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

what programs do hd?

Imovie 09, and I can do it with the older Imovie with some tricks...that is if you have a mac. I would say a lot of the new movie editing programs will run HD though. Hell if you just upload straight to youtube it will be in HD if your recorded it in HD.

what programs do hd?

Imovie 09, and I can do it with the older Imovie with some tricks...that is if you have a mac. I would say a lot of the new movie editing programs will run HD though. Hell if you just upload straight to youtube it will be in HD if your recorded it in HD.

Exactly. I've got a brother-in-law who bought a liscense for something pretty good that he never used. He's going to let me give that program a try in a week or two when I get back in town. (Be gone for a week) and we'll see then.

Imovie would be great... but I'm using a PC. Windows Movie Maker is what I use normally... But it's max file size (640 x 480ish) is about one-third the quality of the video I'm shooting.

And I'd throw it straight up onto Youtube, except that one match with five shooters would be about sixty separate videos.

I like Adobe Premiere. It's kind of expensive, but is super easy to use and has a bunch of great features. It will handle HD.

+1 for Adobe Premiere. I use it for a lot of videos and it is great. I am nowhere proficient with it, but I can do what I need done. It is very powerful if you take the time to learn all it can do.

Trey

Actually you can get it on Amazon for $62.49 plus a $20 rebate, so $42.49 which is about what you would pay for most other programs. I got it so I could do Picture in Picture, and it's so much better than what I was using.

Premiere (at least CS3 version) does not support .MOV files. :( Thank you very much for those raw files, I've looking for that camera too, and those unedited files were great for seeing what the camera can do, instead of youtube.. Could you post a raw short clip with some fast movement from outside too, to see the result in normal lighting? For a hat cam, that's just wonderful quality.

E: Oh, they are not that huge, HD needs to big. :) Regular consumer HDV camera footage is about 3.3mb/second. It shrinks down nicely when encoded with h264 though.

Edited by askomiko

what programs do hd?

Imovie 09 is off the list of cantidates. It does high *quality* ... but not high def. Here is the above video, edited together with a relative's freshly-purchased copy of iMovie 09 in it's highest possible output (720x540 or something similar, I forget). Significant quality has been lost.

At least I know I don't need to run out and buy a Mac. :D

My brother-in-law is checking for an alternative for me (he's a video production major in college right now) and I'll probably have something from him by this weekend. If not, I'm buying Premiere from Amazon.

I'd love to be able to do picture-in-picture, and that along with a 1280x720 output would be worth $42 to me.

Could you post a raw short clip with some fast movement from outside too, to see the result in normal lighting? For a hat cam, that's just wonderful quality.

Sure. I'll do that when I get back into town later this week.

And Premiere doesn't do quicktime format? Aw hell... :(

Why not just get the full version of QuickTime? That will allow you to do some basic editing of the .MOV videos. Its pretty bare bones, but gets the job done for me.

I'll look into that if my brother in law's software doesn't work out. But I'm pretty sure it will.

Didn't know about the Quicktime option.

Side Question - What camera setup are you using?

Ryan

The ContourHD from VholdR. My first thread is here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87136

• 2 years later...