Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye Powder???

PistolPete

Well I've been using this powder since I started reloading as many shooters recommended it because of its fast burning properties. I've loaded and fired several thousands of .45 ACP rounds with this powder to date. I don't like the way it doesn't completely burn and leaves your arms covered in powder by the end of the day. I'm now experimenting with Titegroup.

Well, I just purchased Brians reloading video and he states Bullseye burns too quickly and can cause major problems. Should I just stop using this stuff completely? I've had good luck with it so far. What are your thoughts on this powder? Would I be better off with a slower burning powder? How is the Titegroup?

Thanks,

Pete

Bullseye is a very OLD powder. It has inconsistent flake size and shape, much like Unique. Also very dirty, like Unique and 231. Liable to give you huge drops in velocity as the thermometer drops.

I'd use something more modern, like Titegroup or N320. These work well in 40cal too.

I've HEARD that the .45 is fine with Clays and N310, but I don't load .45acp. Those 2 powders are definitely too fast for 40cal, so use at your own risk.

Bullseye in 45acp?

Yes. yes. yes.

Old, dirty and works amazingly well.

I have burned alot of Bullseye in 45acp with bullet weights from 155-250 gr. and never seen any problems at all, other than that it is very dirty, especially with reduced loads.

I have tried the new wonder powders too, and am back to Bullseye. It is my favorite powder in 45acp.

Travis F.

Well this is good news... I've already loaded and shot at least 10 lbs. of Bullseye without any problems. I just purchased some Titegroup so i'll see how that does. Whenever I shoot a lot with Bullseye I need to shower after because my arms are covered with unburned powder.

I haven't shot any in years, but they say that they have reformulated Unique so it is very clean.

Bullseye is fast, and not that dirty taken in perspective.

WW 231 is dirty, temp sensitive, but does a great job with cast bullets.

the various forms of the VV powders are probably the best but wayyyyyyy tooooooo expensive.

Straight Clays is also fast, but shoots pretty soft, fairly clean, cheap, and gives good results with little temp sensitivity. My choice

Titegroup would be my choice if I shot 40.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am making the change to VV N320. Picking up 4 lbs this weekend.

Clays is too fast

231 too dirty

N320 is just right

I sound like the 3 Bears...

Really, we'll just have to see how it does. Going to have to go some to beat 452AA, which was clean, soft, consistent and metered well. Shot some over the screens a week or so ago and it had a SD of 9, and the loads were 15 years old...

To directly answer the post, Bullseye is old but good. If you like it, stay with it, I shot it for years. This is just one aspect of my life that I am trying to move into the next century, so I'm trying some 320...

Tightloop wrote: "Straight Clays is also fast, but shoots pretty soft, fairly clean, cheap, and gives good results with little temp sensitivity. My choice."

Mine too. Burned more than 9 lbs of the stuff in .45; all at major & mostly 200 TMJs though I also shot TMJ 185s for some time as well as trying out 230s & 152s. Very clean, very consistent; overall very good in .45 for our game. Don't even think about using it in .40 unless its a minor load though. C.

Pete- I told you earlier that I was going to try titegroup and let you know the results. Everyone said that it was easy to find and cheap. Well, I couldn't find any locally. I checked at power valley and they had it for $10.50 /lb and VV N320 for $15 /lb. I bought 8 pounds and for 36 bucks my gun stays cleaner a lot longer. I am sticking with 180 g bullets for the winter. If I can get someone to toss me 20 free 165's I would like to give them a try next. Let me know what you think about the titegroup.

• 1 year later...

Bullseye works fine for me.

.40-135 copper plated over 5.3 grns bullsye

.40-165 copper plated over 5.3 grns bullsye

38 spl. 158 swc cast over 2.5 grns bullsye

I shot 900 rounds through my XD 4" .40 before i cleaned it for the first time and it wasn't too dirty. the outside had a light dusting, the barrel was hardly dirty, and the internals were about the same as other guns with different loads.

I've been using Clays for a while in .45, mostly 230gr., with some 200gr. bullets. I've been shooting Ranier plated bullets, but I'm switching over to Precision coated bullets. I've found Clays to be very clean, with mild recoil. It leaves behind a little soot, which wipes off with a paper towel.

I tried Titegroup, but didn't really like it too much. Recoil is sharper, the bang is louder, the gun is dirtier, and the cases get so hot I burn myself if I pick them up to soon. In 230gr., I thought it was especially dirty and left a dusting on my forearms. It did better with 200gr. From what I've read, it sounds like Titegroup does its best in higher pressure rounds like .40 or 9mm.

I plan to try N310 in the near future to compare against Clays. My only gripe with Clays is that the large flakes MAY cause metering issues. I've had flakes work their way between the powder bar and the housing on my 550B before and jam things up. That rarely happens though and may have something to do with the weather. I unfortunately have to keep my reloading bench in the hot & humid garage. Yes, the powder measure gets emptied after I'm done and powder is stored inside!