Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 9 Supercomp

TMC

Starline says this is thier 9x23 answer. Can this brass be loaded in 38 super dies. I was told by Dillon tech to reloaded it with 9mm dies which I did but I shot it in a 38 Super chambered barrel not the tighter 9x23 chamber.  I heard somewhere if I use 38 Super dies on this brass it will ruin it.  Both Super and 9x23 are nearly identical inside the dimentional tolerances.  Any opinions?

I have a few thou. of this brass and want to use it in a new gun.  I use TJ brass now in my race gun and don't what to mix up the loads.  The new gun has a 5" tribrid barrel so the load will be hotter than the race gun load for a 5' barrel with a 4 port comp on the end.

I've never tried cross-matching these.  I'd say try a dozen or so, and load then each as many times as you can stand.  Do the same with some .38 super brass and see if one quits before the other does.

Definitely use your micrometer to see what the actual case dimensions are, and what your sizing die and chamber turn them into during the process of reloading and firing.

This is guessing..as I have not  played with Starline..but have WIN9x23..

9x23 is a taper vs 38S being a straight wall. It is .004 smaller at the casemouth and .002 bigger at the case head. Both will fire in each others chamber..

About the only thing that will happen is that you will squeeze the case head of the 9x brass when you resize..

I would think as long as it stays in the same gun the brass will form to the chamber.. and as long as you don't switch guns back to a 9x23 chamber..you should be ok..

The question will be what happens you go to reload..try a dozen to 20..then reload them a couple of times..

Oh is the gun chambered for 9x23 or super..

(Edited by eerw at 1:58 pm on Mar. 19, 2002)

My gunsmith recommended 38 Super dies for the 9x23 but Dillon told me to use 9mm dies. However, using a 223 shell plate would be a good idea if you are using all Star Line because it will weed out all the Winchester 9x23 cases (they won't go in). Winchester cases have much thicker webs and lower walls, thus significantly lower capacity which could cause problems. 38 Supercomp and 9 Supercomp have nearly identical capacity.

• 1 month later...

Many people including myself just use standard 9mm Para dies for reloading 9x23. They work perfectly. I found the 9x23 resizing die from CP left the case mouths so oversized that at the seating station the bullet got pushed back into the casing so far you could barely see the bullet tip over the top of the casing. Bad news.

TMC,

I would not shoot the 9x23 in a 38 super barrel unless you are getting ready to get a new one.

Yes, it will work. The 9 has a slight taper and depending on the extractor, it will cylce fine.  It will stretch the brass which may or may not cause the case to stick and not extract. This would be bad if it happened in a match.

But the real problem is if the chamber is 38 super there is a little gap and the shooting of 9x23 will start to errode the chamber. You are effectively headspacing off the extractor and not the chamber itself.

Or so I was once told by someone much smarter than me.

TMC,

As for the dimensions, they are not identical.

38 super , TJ & 38 Super comp are all straight wall

9x19 , 9x21, 9x23 & 9 supercomp have a taper

use the 9mm dies for 9x23 or 9 supercomp

(Edited by warpspeed at 10:32 pm on April 25, 2002)

My intension all along was to use Super dies to load this brass, my concerns was it would somehow ruin the case but that has not happened.  

I have been shooting the Super Comp brass loaded with 38 Super dies out of the 38 Super AET barrel with no problems.  The brass shows no signs of unusual wear, so there you go...

The gun is set up for rimless rass so it runs fine in that respect.

As far as headspace issues, if I load it was Super dies the casemouth will be at the Super dimention thus it should headspace correctly in a Super chamber.

I know that I wouldn't shoot 9supercomp loads in a 38 super barrel I wanted to keep.

In theory, you would need to shoot the brass to get it to expand to straight wall dimensions. To begin with, it has a slight taper. Now if you load it with 38 super dies, it would still be tapered the first time you load it.

If it was me, I'd sell the 9supercomp and buy the 38 super or supercomp instead.

The brass per SAAMI spec for 38 Super Automatic +P  [followed by a Starline Super comp dimentions]:

length = .894~.900" [.995"]

mouth outside diameter = .378~.384" [.379"]

base diameter =  .378~.384" [.386"]

rim diameter = .396~.406" [.386"]

The chamber per SAAMI spec for 38 Super Automatic +P  [followed by a Starline Super comp dimentions]:

length = .9767~.9807" [.995"]

mouth outside diameter = .387~ .391" [.379"]

base diameter =  .3887 ~ .3927" [.386"]

rim diameter = .408 ~ .420"" [.386"]

A .380" $17 straight flute reamer from J&L given a few hand twists in a 38 Super chamber, stopping and checking to see when the Supercomp will chamber would do the conversion.

I just did that to a Tokarev to convert it from 9x19 to 9x23 or Supercomp. I had to mess with the throat, that would not be needed with the 38 Super beuse it is already throated out to suit a bullet seated with a 1.280" OAL.