Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide problems- help would be greatly appreciated!

skorittnig

Hi all,

I have an STI Grandmaster- .38 super. This is my first season with the gun- it probably has between 1200 and 1600 rounds through it. I have been having some problems with it of late. First off, I clean the gun and mags after each shoot (thoroughly).

When pulling the slide back, and GENTLY releasing it forward, it travels forward in a stuttering motion. It only does this when slowly allowing it to travel forward. I have tried multiple lubricants, my recoil spring is in correctly, and it has the most skilled open shooters that I know scratching their heads. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

shay

Take the gun apart, try sliding the reverse plug up and down the guide-rod (with spring). It's possible the spring is binding up between the rod and the reverse plug. If that is okay than re-assemble the gun without the spring and guide-rod and try moving the slide backward and forward, does it feel like something is binding up ?

If it feels weird then try it without the barrel. Basically just keep removing components until it stops the un-even movement.

One other thing; What recoil spring weight are you running and what lubricant are you using ?

Edited by BritinUSA

Shay, I will look at it for you if you remind me at the next match, I won't be at the local matches this weekend but should be at the next Schultz match.

Thanks Howard- I will definitely take you up on that!

Some others have asked if this is causing any problems with function- well...I'm not sure if this is at all related, but I'm having feeding problems with certain magazines. It is weird to me, but only my 170mm mags are working. The 140's are not feeding well, or allowing the gun to go all the way into battery completely from time to time (more often than not). One long mag is from Howard, the other is a long mag from Dawson. While those both work, I have 3 short dawson tuned mags that are not feeding well. It seems like I am having to bump the slide forward sometimes to get the gun to go into battery (again, at least once each time a short mag is used).

I performed the test posted above (thank you), and I can definitely hear some friction in there, but it is tough to figure out exactly what it is. I'm wondering if it is the recoil spring on the guide rod?

Lastly, it definitely catches on the disconnector. So much in fact that if I hold the gun upside down, it can actually get hung up and stop on the disconnector when letting the slide advance forward slowly. This may a normal variance???

Thanks for your time guys

Looks like I'm back to production for Area 5!

shay

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

First off- sorry I couldn't make it to that match Howard, I was really looking forward to having you check the gun out. In the meantime, I took the gun apart again, and discovered that one of the recoil cushions on the Cominolli guide rod was rubbing on the underside of the barrel, and on the frame of the gun. I think this, along with the disco were impeding the free motion of the slide. I trimmed the recoil cushions down to sit flush on the guide rod and the gun has a smooth pull like the others I've messed with.

Thanks guys.

shay

I ditched the cominolli a long time ago because of that. I changed out both buffs, practiced about 1500 rounds problem free and went to the 2000 nats. I had jams everyday except for the last when we realized that the back buff had mushroomed slightly and was slowing the slide down.

I thought it was a great guide rod and I did change the main buff before the match but I didn't change the little one because I didn't have anymore. Three big name gunsmiths looked at it over the course of the match and then we were able to figure it out on the morning of the last day. Don't you just love Murphy's Law?