Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

walkthrough sighting device

Skywalker

Maybe in the U.S. you'll still be allowed to do that,

but according to the new IPSC rulebook (that will be enforced starting from Jan '04), you won't be allowed to walkthrough a stage with anything in your hands:

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire.  Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Even if a stopwatch is not exactly a "sighting aid ", it is clearly stated that the walkthrough has to be performed with naked hands.

[Thread drift mode on]

I'm not sure I'd agree with you: what would you say about a competitor that walks through a stage with a digital videocamera held at chest level, or something like a hosercam?

[/Thread drift mode on]

You think they'd DQ Matt Burkett for videotaping a walk-through for one of his DVDs? Demonstrating how to do it, etc.? If they won't DQ Matt, why would they DQ me?

I think the stopwatch should be allowed. If you're smart enough to be able to figure something out from it, you SHOULD be allowed to use it. Just don't sight down that Lap Time button. ;)

The whole point of the rule, I think/hope, is to avoid situations where it appears as if somebody is walking around with a gun in his or her hands. Because that freaks out people like me.

I think it's ridiculous to apply this rule to anybody with anything in his or her hands during the walk-through. PowerBar, water bottle, match booklet, roll of tape, etc.

I was just talking to some people about this at a match. I thought there might have been a U.S. rule against gun-like sighting devices, but I don't think there is one currently. I know if you walk-through a stage with your S_I grip in your hands, you're going to get a talking to and you will be asked to put it away.

I thought there might have been a U.S. rule against gun-like sighting devices, but I don't think there is one currently. I know if you walk-through a stage with your S_I grip in your hands, you're going to get a talking to and you will be asked to put it away.

Erik, I don't know of any current US rule that would prevent someone from walking around with a gun like sighting device in their hand. Of course, I don't know everything, so maybe someone needs to enlighten me. As far as 'getting a talking to'.... about the only thing that will really get me riled up is when I give LAMR, the competitor pulls his gun, and takes off downrange scoping the course with his firearm out. :o

L2S et al,

That very idea apparently prompted this rule. IIRC, there was considerable concern about R.O.s, fellow competitors and new shooters confusing the sighting device with a real gun..... and a new shooter potentially thinking that it's o.k. to take a sight picture with his gun while doing the walkthrough.....

Technically, if I read it correctly, you can't even do the usual empty-hand "...bang bang bang" and reload (stuffing the magazine into your empty-shootin'-hand) "bang bang bang..." thing...since the magazine is part of a gun...

Alex

Hi guys,

The new rule is crystal clear. You can't hold anything in your hands during the walkthrough, but there's no restriction on having things hanging around your neck.

And Alex, if you think stuffing a magazine into your empty hand even remotely replicates inserting a magazine into a gun, then I guess you must have the Mother Of All Magwells in your gun :)

• 2 weeks later...