Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Source Shot Timer

adweisbe

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NO DELAY. That's one issue that needs to be addressed, adding an adjustable delay feature. But its still too sensitive. It picks up small noises like pulling the gun out of the holster.

But with that said it's still a pretty nifty little app. :)

I will block out a few hours this weekend to add a slider for buzzer volume, delay, and a rudimentary sensitivity adjustment. Unfortunately I can't adjust the levels before the analog to digital conversion takes place so there won't be a real sensitivity adjustment until Google adds support.

New version available with the promised options menu. This is a slide-out drawer on the right hand side so you have to place your finger on the right side of the screen and drag left. The sensitivity adjustment controls the numbers of high amplitude (loud) samples that have to occur for a shot to be detected so a higher setting is less sensitive.

http://openshottimer.googlecode.com/files/open-shot-timer.1.2.0.apk

How much interest is there in random start? par? cadence? Priority is what I am looking for.

Edited by adweisbe

Fixed the recording start time problem when using a delayed start. Also added a random start option. If you have selected a delay > 2 seconds you can check the random start box and it will do a random start in between 2 seconds and the delay you have selected. Next up is saving preferences for volume and sensitivity.

Oops. Forgot the link.

http://openshottimer.googlecode.com/files/open-shot-timer.1.2.1.apk

Edited by adweisbe

Fixed the recording start time problem when using a delayed start. Also added a random start option. If you have selected a delay > 2 seconds you can check the random start box and it will do a random start in between 2 seconds and the delay you have selected. Next up is saving preferences for volume and sensitivity.

Oops. Forgot the link.

If I could find you I would give you a big hug. This is exactly what I was looking for. I installed it on my Drois Eris 1.5 and it works, but I have to ask about the buzzer volumn. It is so faint I can't use it, Is it a eris problem? When I hit buzz at first I thought nothing happened, it did pick up claps. Any ideas?

Oops. Forgot the link.

If I could find you I would give you a big hug. This is exactly what I was looking for. I installed it on my Drois Eris 1.5 and it works, but I have to ask about the buzzer volumn. It is so faint I can't use it, Is it a eris problem? When I hit buzz at first I thought nothing happened, it did pick up claps. Any ideas?

I dropped the volumn to many different levels 20% 50% 100% it does change but still just way to low.

Oops. Forgot the link.

I dropped the volumn to many different levels 20% 50% 100% it does change but still just way to low.

Hi,

The actual maximum volume is regulated by the system wide music stream volume setting. The one set in the app is some fraction of whatever that is. I could change it so the app changes your system wide music stream volume but then you would get your ears blasted out next time you listened to an MP3. I could also add another slider for setting the system wide music stream volume. Maybe I should go back to using the alarm stream which is probably set louder on most phones so people can hear their alarms.

I was going to work on it today to have it save your preferences so I will make some changes for this. I will go back to using the alarm stream and add a slider for modifying the system wide volume.

Edited by adweisbe

A new version is available.

http://openshottimer.googlecode.com/files/open-shot-timer.1.2.2.apk

The buzzer now goes through the alarm stream instead of the music stream so you can crank it up if you desire without deafening yourself next time you listen to music. There is a slider in the options menu for manipulating the system wide volume in case that is set too low for you to get a loud beep. Your settings are now recorded and will persist after you exit the application.

I still need feedback on sensitivity. Does the slider help? Is it still too sensitive?

Next week I am going to work on saving strings and browsing through past strings. That is probably a multi-weekend task.

Well I don't know if it's just a android 1.5 drois eris deal or not, but I didn't have a major audio change. Maxed out all my volume settings and still it's just a very faint beep. Check out this other timer I found. I like your interface and result output a whole lot more, but this buzzer is almost perfect...nice and very very loud (no random delay though).

http://tinyurl.com/nnetgs

I know you are doing this to help us out and I really appreciate it, hopefully you will put the program on the droid market and make some coin.

Thanks again!!!!!

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome project. I hope that you haven't given up on it. I really like the idea. I've played with it a little bit and have just a few issues. I'm running on a Motorola Droid and the buzzer volume just isn't loud enough to hear with ear protection. When I turn the volume all the way up, it's still not loud enough, but it registers the buzzer as shots.....

Edited by pdufren

I haven't forgotten about it, but I still don't own an Android device. What version of the shot timer did you use where you had volume problems? I will try it out on a co-workers phone.

I was using the 1.2.2 from 2/22. This is one of the few applications for droid that I would gladly pay for. You should consider putting it on the android market once you've worked out the kinks.....

OK the sensitivity seems to be alot better now. The last time I used it the sensitivity was so light that the gun coming out of the holster would register 1~3 "shots" before I was even on target. Of course that made my draw something like 0.35 seconds! :rolleyes:

I'll try playing with it in Dryfire sometime soon.

Edited by Chris Keen

Chris, if you slide the drawer on the right side to the left you can adjust the sensitivity as well as buzzer volume.

Oh that's nice ..... I didn't realize that was a drawer over there. Lots of nice adjustments there too! Thanks!

I have a co-worker with a Droid sitting to my left and a Nexus One sitting to my right so in theory I am all set for testing on real phones.

1. Buzzer Volume

I tried it out today and I can see what people are talking about with the volume. The sound clip I am using is already as loud as it goes and the volume is turned all the way up in the application. I tried some ring tones and they are louder but not by much. There is an option for enabling speakerphone. I will try playing with that. Alternatively I can use the built in tone generator. I think that was louder.

On the Droid the buzzer was significantly louder, possibly acceptable. The Nexus however wasn't as loud. I wonder if there is variation between individual phones even the same model.

2. Buzzer being picked up as shots

Thought I solved this one. Audio playback and recording are only roughly synchronized. I suspect that on some phones the buzzer sound doesn't start playing promptly resulting in shot detection beginning before the buzzer has finished. I can play with those settings to see if that is the case.

I reproduced this on the Droid that has the loud buzzer. Doesn't make sense to me because it is supposed to skip all the audio during the buzzer...

Edited by adweisbe