Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Kimber Custom Chocks On Everything Except Hardb

Mike T

My Kimber Custom chokes on everything but hardball.It even chokes on 230gr Lead RN. When it is feeding into the chamber the round stops about half way in and damages the case mouth. Ive looked to see if there are any sharp edges but every thing looks OK. It does this with all 3 of my mags. The chamber is smooth I have polished the breechface but nothing helps. Itpassed Bill Wilsons extractor test. It does have a buffer but wouldnt that make it choke on everything(or nothing) or could it make it more picky? Thanks

1. How many rounds do you have through it? Sometimes they get over little things and run okay thereafter.

2. Do the mags sit a little low? If so, an elevated mag catch could make a big difference. It has in a couple of my guns, including a Kimber.

My Kimber has no problem with lead RN or lead SWCs. I did have problems early on with the "Shooting Star" magazine included with the gun, but I've never had any problems using Wilson magazines. See if you can score a Wilson and try it out. If that doesn't work, send it back to Kimber.

DogmaDog

I've had the pistol about 5yrs andI usually shot hardball in it so I just noticed the problem a couple of months ago. It has never been touched by a gunsmith. How can you tell if the mag is sitting low? I'm using all Shooting Star mags, maybe this is the problem? I heard they are pretty good(not the best).It seems like the round is not popping up enough in the back so the angle is too steep and the round is trapped with the bullet hitting the top of the chamber the side of the case hitting the bottom of the throat and the rim trying to come up the breechface.Im going to take out the buffer ASAP. Thanks

I've got a Kimber Gold Combat made in 2000. I'm not the original owner, so I have no idea what anyone else had done, but I haven't had any mods made. I use Wilson Combat mags and have a Shok-Buff installed. I shoot 200gr SWC regularly w/out a single hiccup.

I'm a longtime lurker on the forum. I've benefited greatly from the wealth of information found here, and thought I would share my thoughts on Mike's problem

I experienced the same symptoms with my Kimber SM, when I first switched from hardball (factory) to reloads. To make a long story short, I was not applying enough taper crimp. This left just enough bell in the case mouth to cause the problem. It's been several years and many thousands of rounds since I solved the puzzle and I can't remember whether the case lip was contacting magazine during the feed process or whether it was catching somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

I'm a longtime lurker on the forum. I've benefited greatly from the wealth of information found here, and thought I would share my thoughts on Mike's problem.

Charles,

That is what Brian's Forums are all about...shooters helping shooter. Welcome aboard!

B)B)B)

Mike, if you've had that pistol for 5 years, and are using the same three magazines (Shooting Star's) you might want to also consider that the magazine springs might be getting weak.

If you can borrow a new magazine from one of your shooting buddies, try that. (Wilson/Shooting Star/Chip McCormick/Metalform magazines have all given me good service)

I had some (older, not Power Mag's) Chip McCormick 8-round magazines that began to give me problems. I replaced the magazine springs with Wolff extra power magazine springs, (available through Brownells) and the magazines went back to working well.

Thanks for all of the input. I will be trying several of these suggestions as soon as I can. One of the Shooting Star mags is new but I can feel the difference in spring tension in one of them. I checked the crimp and I think it is OK but I will be keeping an eye on it. Thanks again.