Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Glock?

mikeAZ

I know this might be too simplistic? But which one to buy?... I've always thought the 17L(non ported) was the "Glock" to have.. I'm an open 9mm major SV shooter. Thought I might buy a 9mm for steel or production. 19 L seem to be rare. As I remember, the 34 is 9mm. I'm not really interested in shooting 40 cal. I've owned a couple of Glocks years ago and have some experence with the internals?. I know I'll want the drop free mags, 3 1/2 lb. connector etc... What's your opinion? Thanks, Mike

Edited by mike NM

If you go with a G 35 with an after market barrel you can load and shoot,, Major and minor,, 155Gn,, to 180Gr,,, no problem,, two guns in one..

And lead,,, cheap,, and you can find lead bullets,, all of the time.

Jim M ammo

I know this might be too simplistic? But which one to buy?... I've always thought the 19L(non ported) was the "Glock" to have.. I'm an open 9mm major SV shooter. Thought I might buy a 9mm for steel or production. 19 L seem to be rare. As I remember, the 34 is 9mm. I'm not really interested in shooting 40 cal. I've owned a couple of Glocks years ago and have some experence with the internals?. I know I'll want the drop free mags, 3 1/2 lb. connector etc... What's your opinion? Thanks, Mike

Sounds like you want the 34, it has the 3.5 lb connector and is the shiz for production. The 19 is great for carry. All the new mags should drop free. The 35 with the 9mm barrel is illegal for production.

I don't think I've ever heard of a 19L.

9mm

If you want a gun to carry, a G26 is great.

If you want a gun that will do most anything from carry to compete, the G19 is a great choice.

The G17 is the workhorse 9mm. It's a great duty gun and can be used as is in Production or pumped up for Open.

The G34 is fantastic and can be used in Production or Open just like the 17.

.40 S&W

I've shot a G27 and I wouldn't want to be on either end of it in a gun fight.

I've shot a G23 and it's OK, but the recoil makes it less desireable (to me) than the G19.

The G22 has a lot of potential all around. It's a super duty gun and can be shot in Production, Limited, or Open and you can even shoot all three with the "same gun" by switching out components.

The G35 is my current gun and I shoot Production with it and will be switching to Limited later this year. And, like the G22, I can swap out some parts and shoot open with it as well.

Edited by Graham Smith

I play with a G17 in Production and at GSSF matches. A G34 is perhaps a better bet because of the longer sight radius. In fact, the G34 and G35 are pretty much the predominate guns found at USPSA matches. Badchad nailed it as far as the demise of the G17L and G24. Of course if you ever want to shoot major, the G35 is the ticket.

If you go with a G 35 with an after market barrel you can load and shoot,, Major and minor,, 155Gn,, to 180Gr,,, no problem,, two guns in one..

And lead,,, cheap,, and you can find lead bullets,, all of the time.

Jim M ammo

+1, except to add that when you get the aftermarket barrel, you can get it barreled for 9mm and all you have to do is buy the 9mm mags. This combo will give you the most versatility of probably any gun in the world.

+1, except to add that when you get the aftermarket barrel, you can get it barreled for 9mm and all you have to do is buy the 9mm mags. This combo will give you the most versatility of probably any gun in the world.

The only problem is that Mike is going to be very angry when he tries to shoot that combo in Production and gets bumped into Open. FWIW I found the 9mm conversion barrel to be less than competition reliable in my gun.

The only problem is that Mike is going to be very angry when he tries to shoot that combo in Production and gets bumped into Open. FWIW I found the 9mm conversion barrel to be less than competition reliable in my gun.

Ouch! Yeah, that could be a problem...

Looks like a 40 w/the 9mm conversion barrel.

Not for Production. You can have an aftermarket barrel, but it has to be the same caliber as the original factory barrel.

If you want a versatile gun for Production and Limited, go with the G22 or the G35. You can load .40 minor for Production or you can buy re-manufactured .40 minor ammo from Atlanta Arms.

If you're only going to get one Glock, I'd take a different path and suggest you go with the 17. I shoot a 34 in Production, but have been using a 17 in IDPA and think it might actually handle better. After nearly 50,000 rounds through my G34 longer slide length of the G34 offers some advantages (sight length) and some disadvantages (extra length affects the handling of the gun to an extent). Ask me next year and I'll let you know for sure B)

The 3.5# connector is an advantage in either, as is a Vanek Classic (Production legal) trigger. But I'd suggest ditching the Glock 3.5# and using the Lonewolf, which I've found is a much crisper connector. The 3.5# Glock is rather mushy, to my feel.

Curtis

Nobody yet...?

Pick one and practice! :)

I think he's still at the "picking" part! :roflol:

Hes wasting his time picking when he should be practicing!!!

*****I also shoot in sub gun matchs and am one of the few who has to reload W/a 72 round drum.... I'd really like one of those Dillon chain guns!!!!

If you want to stay production legal in 9mm, the G17 or G34 is the only way to go. Personally, I like the feel and balance of the G17 not to mention I can draw, sight and get my first shot off faster with it. I agree with the comment about the Lone Wolf Connector, it is much crisper feel than the Glock 3.5#