Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm gong to compete for the first time

doc540

You know how some people work out at home to get in shape before they go to the gym to get in shape?

That's kind of what I'm doing.

Competitive shooting really isn't in our family's budget, but I'm rationalizing a way for it to be in the family's budget. Know what I mean about that, too?

So, I've now hauled off and bought another 9mm semi (it's so low on the totem pole I'm not even going to name it here until I actually do something worthwhile with it at a match). One will stay downstairs in the house, the other in my car (that'll be my match gun).

My company has made it possible for me to get a deal on Fobus products, so I have a holster and mag carrier on the way.

And I'm stockpiling 9mm hardball for practice.

Then, when I get good enough I'll show up at a local IDPA match with my Chevrolet-semi and join in the fun.

And, of course, I was hooked after observing my first match. It does, indeed, look like good clean fun.

Oh, and this question: how many mags do I need to have for an IDPA match?

thnx

El Nubo

Edited by doc540

El Nubo - If you are down San Antonio way on the second Saturday of the Month sign up is at 0830 hammer down at 0900. This is American Action Shooting match, not USPSA, but it is a good place to hear your first Make Ready. This match caters to beginning shooters and a lot of shooters are new CHL holders. The course of fire are less complicated than IDPA or USPSA but the actual shooting can be tougher. Match fee $15.00 about 100-125 rounds.

Bring your 9 and 3 mags, load to capacity and just shoot Stock Auto.

Http://www.americanactionshooting.com

Caution shooting a match can be addictive.

Edited by CocoBolo

I'm stockpiling 9mm hardball for practice.

Then, when I get good enough I'll show up at a local IDPA match with my Chevrolet-semi and join in the fun.

And not having ever participated, how will you know you are practicing the right things or the right way? Perhaps a better use of your ammo and budget would be to participate? It takes a lot more effort to un-learn bad habits than to learn correct habits.

Practice enough that you feel SAFE handling your firearm (can draw safely and reload safely and can keep your finger off the trigger when not making it go bang), then go play. Don't try to perform out of your comfort zone when you start (so you stay safe). You'll progress much faster than trying to get good never having shot a match.

I'm sure your approach is appealing because no one wants to look like they don't know what they are doing in front of others. But we were all new once. I always tell people that no-one remembers your scores when you show up to your first match, that's not part of the first impression... but the impression you leave with your attitude and level of safety will stick with you. So show up with a smile and a willingness to help (paste, tear down, etc), tell the ROs you are new so they can walk you through things, and have fun.

Budget part of your "stockpile" to a few matches, imo.

-rvb

I often hear people say they need to "practice up" before going to their first match. Other than some dry-fire drills to familiarize themselves with the manual of arms for their chosen blaster, I think they're missing out on a great opportunity. The feedback/advice/guidance you get from showing up and letting everyone know it's your first time would cost big $$$ anywhere else.

Go with an open mind, make some new friends and get started down the path the right way, the first time.

If you have the ability/equipment to safely participate in a match without putting a hole in yourself or someone else... Go do it.

Ask whomever seems to be in charge of helping out the new shooters (there's always a couple of guys) to critique any bad techniques you need to fix. Ask 'em to the ruthless. THEN go work on what you learned.

+1 to all the above.

Leave the ego at home and come out and learn and have some fun.

:cheers:

BK

thnx for all the good advice. I'm paying attention.

I'm just practicing the basics (as mentioned above) of loading, unloading, cycling, and making sure I can operate the new gun confidently and safely.

I plan on particating in their July match.

And, thanks for the invite, Cbolo. :cheers:

Of course, the Walter Mitty in me visualizes showing up with my trusty Colt DS and smokin' everyone. :lol:

Edited by doc540

I often hear people say they need to "practice up" before going to their first match. Other than some dry-fire drills to familiarize themselves with the manual of arms for their chosen blaster, I think they're missing out on a great opportunity. The feedback/advice/guidance you get from showing up and letting everyone know it's your first time would cost big $$$ anywhere else.

Go with an open mind, make some new friends and get started down the path the right way, the first time.

+10! Some of the best practice and instruction I've ever received has been at local club matches. The better shooters never fail to take new shooters under their wing and offer help and advice. In point of fact, a lot of what I learn that I need to practice comes from fellow shooters watching me an dpointing out flaws in my technique (there are lots of them!)

There's also no substitute for teh adrenaline rush that comes with the buzzer and an audience. You'll be amazed both at what you really can do under pressure and where your weak points are. Its a lot different from running drils in the back yard.

BB