Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Lite

rhyrlik

Are you loading lead, jacketed or plated?

What weight bullet do you like?

Do you mind if the load is a little dirty? If cleanliness is not your main goal Bullseye works well in .357 target loads. Actually it may not be the hippest new technologically advanced wonder powder on the market, but it's tough to beat for target loads.

Travis F.

I'd like to see data for 148grs and heavier in lead only, with or without gas checks.

My dilemma is that Federal Gold Medal 148gr. 38 ammo cloverleafs at 25 yards, but I can't replicate the load in 357 brass. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a load that cloverleafs now, why are you looking for something else. reduced power stuff in 357 brass seldom shoots as well as target stuff in 38 spec. Too big a case, too little powder...too much volume variance in the case. Same reason mag rifle loads shoot better loaded up rather than down.

also dirty, but Unique or HS6 is pretty bulky and might do ok.

rhyrlik,

I have used 148gr. LWC over 2.9-4.0 of Bullseye on occasion, with varying results depending on the revo and especially the bullets.

No cloverleafs at 25 yards from any combo, but some loads fell under 2" or so.

Look for soft bullets if you want to run 4.0 or less of bullseye, they work better and lead the forcing cone less.

I have heard Lasercast stuff might be different, but can't verify it.

Good luck.

Travis F.

Well, it is a quandry. The only solutions I see to the problem are these, and you probably won't like either very much. Continue to shoot the 38 Spec Fed stuff and pay out the yazoo, or buy another revo in 38 Spec and reload those.

Only other thing is to reload the empty 38 Spec brass and scrub out the cylinder after you are finished shooting. that would be my choice...

To clean a .357 mag cylinder after shooting shorter cases: working a slightly flared .357 case back and forth in each chamber seems to do a better job than brushes. Don't wait a decade or two to clean the chambers either or you may notice permanent changes in the cylinder.

Leading may be a problem at higher (>900 fps) velocities - watch for it.

I've had luck with 3.5 gr HP38/W231 under a 144 - 150 gr cast RN for a lite load; HS6 up to 8 gr for a moderate load.

I like Lee's 158 gr RF cast at 153 gr with 8 gr HS6 or 9 gr HS7 for my comfortable max. (My preferred powder is AL7 at 8.7 gr - or AL8 at 10.4 gr if you don't have AL7 lying about.)

If you want to make major PF in revolver, try about 5.6 to 5.8 gr Universal under a lead 158 gr. 6.2 gr. Universal under 158 gr. lead round nose gave me 1180fps using a small pistol primer. These loads were accurate and had manageable recoil with a 6" barrel GP100. Hodgdon has a number of medium .357 loads in their Annual Manual.

I've shot over 2,000 .38s in my Ruger and have never had a problem loading or extracting .357 brass. I have a .40 brass brush with a long stem that I put in an old variable speed electric drill. I wet the brush and chamber with solvent, run the brush back and forth for 5 - 10 seconds at slow speed in the chamber, finish with a dry patch, and it's good to go.

I'm going to try Laser Cast 140 gr. lead bullets in my GP100 for major and minor. Has anyone tried these?

rhyrlik,

Is that fifty yards or just fifty feet. I use a 160 grain lead bullet (called a 38 super in 357) at about 130 pf, 810 fps. 3.4 grains of Solo will give me good accuracy to al least fifty yards. Off hand all in X ring on the NRA Tombstone if I do my part. You can use the 38 special cases if you can find some Solo 1000. It is a single base powder, now produced by Accurate and does not leave much residue in the cylinders. For cleaning I use a 375 caliber stainless steel rifle bore brush. One pass through and back, it's clean. I'll usually shoot about 100 rounds then swab the cylinders. But I use hard cast bullets and does not lead up the cylinder nor barrel. Hope this is helpful.

That's 50 feet. I wish it was at 50 yards!

BTW, I just shot a bunch of Federal CastCores through a 3" Smith M-66, and was surprised that they flew at a honest 1100 fps per my Chrony. They groupped 1" at 50 feet for six shots. I didn't shoot 12 shot groups because the gun kicked like a mule! When I went home I pulled one round apart. It contained 14.1 grains of H110. I can duplicate that easily for pennies, but it is unpleasant. I need a mild load.

Keep sending the recipies :)

:blink:

Now I'm really confused. What type of competition do you want these loads for? At first I thought you were looking for a 148gr full wadcutter load for bullseye or PPC. (I thought you were looking at 50 yards also).

I have 2 loads that I use in 38 spl. (These are from 357 length cylinders).

Like Bubber said a 38 super bullet sized to .358. The ones I buy are 150gr and I load them in 38 cases with Federal primers and 3.9 gr of WST for 830 fps. This is my ICORE load.

For speed steel (Steel Challenge) type stuff I use a 9mm bullet sized to .358. A 125 with Federal primer and 3.9 gr of CLAYS for 900fps(IIRC).

Both of these bullets have no crimp groove, I use a 9mm size die for a light taper crimp in station 5 on my press.

Both of these loads will put 8 shots at 1.5 inches at 25 yards.

I have no problems with build up in the cylinders of several different revolvers.

I use a 40 cal Hoppes "Tornado" brush to clean the chambers. IMHO the tornado brushes last 3 times longer than a regular brush.

Good Luck

"Squishing" would be bad, tends to loosen the fit between the case and the bullet.

I buy these from my local bullet caster. The "normal" size for 9mm or 38 super is about .3565. This would be typically too small to perform with accuracy from a 38 cal revolver barrel.

The bullets drop from the casters mold a little larger than .358 and he runs them through his sizer/lubricator with the .358 die in place.

They are not full wadcutters when it comes to accuracy, but 1.5 inches at 25 yards with a bullet that will speed load nicely works for some games.