Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just shot my first USPSA match

Model19

Phew. Just got home from my first match. 5 Stages including one Nuevo Prez qualifier. My brain is tired. :wacko: The longest stage was 37 rounds comstock, which took all 8 of my speedloaders plus my initial load. I finished with just 4 rounds left in the cylinder. You can figure from that how lousy I did on that stage...but it was fun! Shot my first Texas Star in another stage. Most of the time I managed to remind myself to slow down and I did A's, but things like a row of plates would throw me off. Go figure. By the last stage, which was 4 strings, 6 rounds each on 6 targets starting prone at 60', yadda yadda and ending up weak hand at 20', my head was in the game enough and I had slowed down the tape speed in my brain so to speak enough to be breaking the shots when I wanted them and I was letting the recoil carry the sights over to then next target and my eyes were getting there first and picking up the front clearly again and I was keeping the trigger moving so I was nice and close to the break point as I got the sight picture. That was cool.

And I was the only revo guy there of course.

I have no idea what my score was, but I don't really care at this point. It was fun and educational and next time I'll do better. I've shot IDPA before, but this is a different ball of wax altogether. Holy high round count batman! :roflol:

Edited by Model19

Model19, welcome to the world of USPSA Revolver Division! Over the last 22 years of competitive shooting, I've pretty much done it all, and I have never found any shooting discipline more captivating and challenging.

Dude, I thought you shot really well today. The only thing that seemed to really slow you down at all was your reloads, which seemed much smoother this time around than they did last Friday. It'd be cool if we could get all of the wheelgunners to show up at the same match, so that you guys would have something to compare yourselves to.

Thanks everybody. Like Ledge said, my reloads are a weak point. Seems I did much better two years ago when we did a bunch of IDPA shoots. Probably just a lack of seat time making its presence known. I chamfered my cylinder and modded the grips Friday night before today's match, and I might need to crimp a little harder to smooth the edge of the brass a bit more. Towards the later stages/strings some rounds were not seating fully in the cylinder too now that I think back on today's action. I probably should have brushed out the wheel between stages. The grip mod at least helped get all the spent brass to fall away more consistently today instead of having one hang up as was happening before. The grip mod also ripped off a good dime sized flap of skin from the web of my thumb during that 50 round stage!

Oh well. Wait'll next time!

Thanks everybody. Like Ledge said, my reloads are a weak point. Seems I did much better two years ago when we did a bunch of IDPA shoots. Probably just a lack of seat time making its presence known. I chamfered my cylinder and modded the grips Friday night before today's match, and I might need to crimp a little harder to smooth the edge of the brass a bit more. Towards the later stages/strings some rounds were not seating fully in the cylinder too now that I think back on today's action. I probably should have brushed out the wheel between stages. The grip mod at least helped get all the spent brass to fall away more consistently today instead of having one hang up as was happening before. The grip mod also ripped off a good dime sized flap of skin from the web of my thumb during that 50 round stage!

Oh well. Wait'll next time!

go get an open gun and a 170mm big stick. your reloads will be the last of your concern!!! :)

No way Jose!! I see the guys at my club run those things. The comps make them deafening to bystanders, they only run well after weeks of painstaking load development and spring tweaking, and they cost as much as a semester of my kids in-state college tuition!

But on the plus side, they're fast to the next target, take the least possible reloads, look like something out of Buck Rogers (the old strip, not the TV show), and they blow lovely smoke rings straight up in the air on a misty day. That's an idea, I'm going to start kidding the guys about their Bilbo guns.

And don't worry about being the only revo shooter at a match. If you PM me with an email address, I can email you a blank XCEL spreadsheet that you can use to figure out how many of the OTHER division shooters you beat on the match, based on your stage HFs versus the top shooter's HHF on each stage.

I've been a tradesman for over several decades. A long, long time ago I came to realize that there were three stages in the thinking process in that sort of work: at first, you work to satisfy your boss. Later, you start to try to satisfy the customer. Then, finally, you work to satisfy yourself, the final, and most knowledgeable judge of what you've been doing out there.

It's really pretty much the same thing for the revolver shooter in USPSA. You're in it for the challenge; the person you're trying to defeat is yourself, and your last run. Maybe at first you're competing against the Government Models and Glocks, and then you're competing against your friends; when I somehow manage to beat Otis Lawrence and his Kimber on an IDPA stage, it's cause for celebration, I admit, but it happens so seldom I won't wear myself out partying. Heaven help me if I ever get him to go USPSA single-stack; I won't be comparing scores, then.

But after that against-your-friends point, it's you against you. You know if you shot it well, and shot it right.

I'll be danged if I'll ever spend a night with a sixgun on the nightstand. And I know I'd never want to get in a gunfight with one, either. Six is just not enough, double especially in this age of drugged-up badguys.

Yet, when the alarm goes off on a Sunday morning and I'm packing the range bag, I can't help myself but to grab a sixgun, and usually the oldest ones, the ones I've had the longest.

I'll never make master, and probably will never get past "B", and not even if I suddenly went over to a Carmonzied 625 racer. Certainly, never with my Webley or Highway Patrolman.

But as long as I keep beating me, it's still good.

Edited by Cherryriver

The Revolver is the weapon of the Jedi knight. Not as clumsy or random as an Open blaster, it's an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

that's well put!!!!

well's here's my 4th revolver match results, and I say damn it felt GOOD!!! it was only a local match that was VERY revolver UNFRIENDLY, like the last stage that was 32 rounds of steel, It was fun though, especially some of the comments made before the match, since I was the only guy wearing a lightsaber, I mean revolver, hehe

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Match Pts Match %

1 Sagehorn, Kurt TY52261 B Single Stack Major 417.6793 100.000%

2 Lawrence, Tim U Limited Minor 379.8131 90.934%

3 Lugenbell, Seth A64135 C Single Stack Major 304.1439 72.818%

4 Ginardi, Shawn A59543 U Revolver Major 304.0149 72.787%

5 Lomshek, Roger A59161 C Production Minor 297.1676 71.147%

6 Trim, Mike U Production Minor 288.1496 68.988%

7 Wells, Jeff TY52265 C Production Minor 284.2688 68.059%

8 Smith, Brad A63931 U Limited Major 278.1770 66.601%

9 Samuel, Mike A63480 D Production Minor 277.8395 66.520%

10 Fritton, Chris U Single Stack Major 256.3869 61.384%

11 Linnenbrink, Jim TY58605 C Production Minor 243.3175 58.255%

12 McKee, Scott A63193 C Production Minor 232.1542 55.582%

13 Hatcher, Claude A62688 D Single Stack Major 225.3171 53.945%

14 Matney, Dave A62734 D Single Stack Major Senior 172.8809 41.391%

15 Samuel, Kelly A63481 U Single Stack Major 171.1868 40.985%

16 Patterson, Mitch U Production Minor 114.3721 27.383%

17 Hegel, John U Production Minor 110.0441 26.347%

18 Brown, Doug A63157 U Production Minor 104.2633 24.963%

19 Lavery, Adam U Production Minor 36.9307 8.842%

20 Bolan, Tom U Production Minor 24.6162 5.894%

21 Samuel, Kelly REENTRY D Production Minor 0.0000 0.000%

Edited by Spray_N_Prey

Keep it up your are on your way my friend. As a total contrast to this thread i shot my limited gun instead of my revo for the first time in a while, at yesterdays match that was funny.

I shot limited for the first time after shooting my revolver for a few matches. I remember thinking while walking the stages that this would require no imagination. Well, it didn't. Stuff in a 19 round magazine shoot 16, reload and finish. It was kind of boring in a way.

Yes! I was thinking "Damn, those guys have it easy" as I watched. But then in their game it comes down to splits, draw, yadda yadda, and the guy who's just that tiny much better wins. It's that way in all divisions of course, but a few extra realities we face are eliminated.

I shot limited for the first time after shooting my revolver for a few matches. I remember thinking while walking the stages that this would require no imagination. Well, it didn't. Stuff in a 19 round magazine shoot 16, reload and finish. It was kind of boring in a way.