Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting into battery

AustinMike

I've got a relatively new G34 (maybe 500 rounds through it) and I polished up the internals. It's completely stock except that I put a factory 5# connector in place of the 3.5# to try. I like the crisper break of the 5# connector and wanted to give it a go after polishing - yeah, so I'm weird like that. :rolleyes: While function testing, I discovered that if I held the muzzle up with the slide vertical and then drew back and slowly eased the slide forward with the trigger held back, it would stop short of full battery lockup. Tipping the slide back horizontal or releasing the trigger would snap it back. I disassembled the gun again to make sure I didn't get anything in wrong and polished up the firing pin safety and the part of the trigger bar that presses it, figuring that's where the problem probably is given that it closes when the trigger is released. I also wiped the slide glide I had on the rails off and used oil instead. It's better now and I can only get it to do it every so often. It's so close I can practically breath on the slide to get it closed completely. I've only got a couple G17s to compare to and they snap right closed. I'd say the barrel fit is tighter on the newer G34 though.

Anything to worry about? If so, what else should I check?

Are you sure it has a stock recoil spring?

Yep. Bought the gun brand new last year and just got around to messing with it. All that has changed is grip tape, sights, and swapping the connector out for the 5# Glock connector.

You are probably getting some resistance from basic friction around the barrel, chamber, and ejection port. 500 rounds isn't enough to break in all the machining, parkerizing, coating, etc.

Try it again in 2500 rounds. It should be smoothed out by then.

Put some lube on the rails and shoot it. The question is, does it go into lockup under spring pressure? If so, you are fine.

It appears to be now. At first, it would stop just short of lockup when the slide was vertical and stay there until tipped horizontal or the trigger was released. Since fiddling with it some more and applying oil in place of the slide guide it's better. The room temperature grease may have been just enough to slow the lockup. I'll go shoot it some more. It's probably just that I'm just not used to having a new Glock that locks up tight. My others looked like they lived hard lives before I got them. :roflol:

While function testing, I discovered that if I held the muzzle up with the slide vertical and then drew back and slowly eased the slide forward with the trigger held back, it would stop short of full battery lockup.

Anything to worry about? If so, what else should I check?

That's the test to see if your recoil spring is worn out. Swap out the recoil spring from one of your 17s and see what happens. Maybe you got a bad recoil spring from the factory.

I thought the test was to let the slide go forward naturally, then tilt to vertical and pull the trigger to make sure the recoil spring was holding the gun in battery. I'm learning something new every day but then the G24C is only a week old and #6 for GSSF.