Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried Small Magnum Pistol Primers in a 223 load?

M ammo

Primers.

At the local gun shop they Only had Magnum Small Pistol and Magnum Large Pistol.

Seeing we are in a time that we cannot be so picky, I bought some.

Has anyone done any testing?

Has anyone tried Small Magnum Pistol Primers in a 223 load?

How will this affect my 9mm and .40S&W loads.

Please let me know what you know..

Jim Mammo

It will not affect your pistol load enough to mention, a few feet per second maybe. I would NOT use them in the rifle though. The regular, magnum, rifle primers are different in their hardness and their ability to deal with the pressure of the various rounds they are used in. Pistol primers are NOT designed for the pressures found in rifle loads.

That said, I've never tried it...good luck. :)

"Has anyone tried Small Magnum Pistol Primers in a 223 load?"

Yes, plus I've tested regular small pistol primers in the .22 Hornet.

I have a bunch of Federal No. 200 primers which are labeled "Small Rifle Primers and High Velocity Pistol". Magnum small pistol primers have a thicker cup than regular small pistol primers to handle the higher pressures involved.

My understanding the difference between regular and magnum primers is the duration of the flame and the temperature combined with differences in cup dimensions.

If things got really desperate I would try it with minimum powder charges in the 223 working up carefully.

Despite the panic I don't think its time for any such experiments, however.

Regards...

I have a bunch of Federal No. 200 primers which are labeled "Small Rifle Primers and High Velocity Pistol". Magnum small pistol primers have a thicker cup than regular small pistol primers to handle the higher pressures involved.

Any chance you could post of picture of those...I've been called crazy (for more than just this- but) for saying that the old Federal #200 was both small pistol mag and small rifle.

Thanks,

Sherwyn

F200s light just as easily in my lightly sprung revolver as F100s, other pistol primers not so much. I'm thinking the cup is the same on mine, and Feds are the softest primers available. They're pretty beat looking after firing in full .357s, flattened and cratered, but other brands look OK, everything else is OK. Nothing on the box suggests otherwise, maybe they've changed?

I'd for sure use them in 9 or 40, maybe reduce a couple tenths to start.

Bad Idea. 223 ammo makes a lot more pressure than 40 S&W or 9 mm. For 223, you need the thicker cup to stand the pressures. Now this is not to say that you might load a few rounds and no destroy your firing pin, but for reliable safe ammo, 223 requires rifle primers. Otherwise, you are likely to have trouble due to the primers not being robust enough for rifle pressures.

Now, the opposite is not true. All of the small primers I have are small rifle primers, and I load my 40 S&W and the few 45ACP cases with small primer pockets with them, and my M1911 type guns with 17 pound mainsprings light them without failure.

Billski

Any chance you could post of picture of those...I've been called crazy (for more than just this- but) for saying that the old Federal #200 was both small pistol mag and small rifle.

Thanks,

Sherwyn

Sherwyn:

Here you go...

Fed200.jpg

Thanks,

Sherwyn

Sherwyn:

Here you go...

Fed200.jpg

And now the #200 is marked small pistol magnum...Thank you for the proof that I am not totally nuts...at least in this case. :closedeyes:

And I do remember those prices :angry:

Sherwyn

Thanks,

Sherwyn

PIC of the BOX's

post-11233-1243115878_thumb.jpg

I try-ed it just a few months ago with CCI Mag small pistole primers. I did get slam fires with a non lightened carrier. the stock was the shorter Carbine stock from Mag-pull.

I loaded about 25 rounds and shot 3 sets with 3 in a mag and got doubles out of two mags. loaded one mag with five rounds and two of them doubled. I have the rest set aside for one shot drills.

I try-ed it just a few months ago with CCI Mag small pistole primers. I did get slam fires with a non lightened carrier. the stock was the shorter Carbine stock from Mag-pull.

I loaded about 25 rounds and shot 3 sets with 3 in a mag and got doubles out of two mags. loaded one mag with five rounds and two of them doubled. I have the rest set aside for one shot drills.

Thanks,,,, Doug told me of your test,,,, thanks for your info,,,, good stuff,,,, in a pinch,, in a bolt gun,, I might give it a try with a light load,,

I just was wondering..

I'm one of the many with Primers on back order,, I'm sure at some point we are all wondering,, when we will not be able to keep playing the game.

Jim M ammo