Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning and polishing brass

Hey guys I have a fast question. After using my Dilion tumbler all of the brass has the residue from the media. Is there anything special one can do to polish these up a bit and remove that media dust?

TIA

put them in a big beach towel put the corners together on one side then put the other two corners from the other side together and lift one side then the other. Like cleaning the oil off a bowling ball.

hope that made sense.

Edit to add: I also do this with loaded rounds to get the excess of One shot off them.

:cheers:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Many folks use cut up strips of those fabric softener/antistatic cloths (used). They pick up the fine dust pretty well.

Some use mineral oil to bind up the dust. I found that it dulled the finish a bit.

I use Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaner sold by Midway. It has a nice citrus smell, has no ammonia and doesn't leave any residue. My brass shines like jewelry when I'm done. Best part is it only takes a little bit to work well. For media I use walnut shells I buy from Petsmart sold as reptile bedding. It's the same stuff the guns stores sell only cheaper.

I throw in a little bit of Dillon brass polish and after about a 15-20 minutes they come out sparkly. I have found that as the media gets older it gets more fine and has yielded longer tumble time to be "dust" free.

I tried the dryer sheet thing with results that weren't appreciably better.

Rich

I use Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaner sold by Midway. It has a nice citrus smell, has no ammonia and doesn't leave any residue. My brass shines like jewelry when I'm done. Best part is it only takes a little bit to work well. For media I use walnut shells I buy from Petsmart sold as reptile bedding. It's the same stuff the guns stores sell only cheaper.

Sweet, that is cool!

I use drier sheets in my tumbler - at first I was using old drier sheets thinking the cloth would act like a filter and pick up the dust, but found that new drier sheets work better - the dust really sticks to whatever is on the drier sheets. I also treat my media with NuFinish. Additionally when they come out of the tumbler, after separating you can blow them off with air (if you have a small compressor or tank) then to the beach towel - that serves two purposes - to get the remaining dust (if any) off and to inspect the brass (get out the strays from other calibers the you missed before).

~Mitch

• 2 weeks later...