Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand Made Electric Trimmer?

Steel Shootist

<_< I am the king of the cheep try at stuff that kind of works. I use my hand drill on a regular Lyman trimmer.

works kind of but the small tip that the Handel was crimped to is only 1/4 long , so not much for the jaws of the chuck to grip on. it slips off when I try to pull back now.

<_< I am going to have to grind down the end of the shaft so the 3/8 chuck can grab the 1/2" shaft.

a 1/2 drill is just too slow to use on the table.

I did put the entire thing in my drill press = but that was not so good.

I use one of those Lee trimming cutters that come with the little post. I can't remember what it is called. I use it in a milling machine, but they say it works well with drill presses. If your press can hit the same depth to within a few thou, might be a good option. I've seen them go for about $10 plus a couple of bucks for the shell holder. I've been using it for some time and it works great.

Ha! That's what my wife said. It went something like "So you saved a couple of hundred bucks on a case trimmer? How much was that mill again?" I like the lathe idea, if only I had a three jaw....

Kevin Lee makes a sort of collet chuck, has three blades that grab the case rim. Works pretty good too. I use it instead of the stud and collar arrangement that comes with the trimmer. Seems to have less run-out.

Look for 3 jaws on Ebay. My Jacobson for 1 1/2 " x 8 spindle was pretty reasonable. Of course one to fit your mill is going to be more elusive.

Boats

Edited by Boats

I use that lee trimer too. Chuck the case up in my Lathe. Can't imagine anything working better. Course the lathe was expensive.

Boats

How long does it take you to change cases in your lathe? :blink: Some of us have more time than money, but I do not think I have that much time. :)

Randy

Randy

It takes longer than one of the dedicated case trimmers but not a lot, you have to cut the power on and off and switch cases in the shell holder. I also chamfer the case neck and de burr the flash hole all same time. Finish with a quick wipe with steel wool to break the sharp edge. 4 jobs only have to chuck the case once. Don't think push on dedicated trim machines can do all that work.

Am running 600 7mm08 cases Shooting about 100 rounds a month in silhouette matches. So each case gets used about twice a year. Marked in inside the MTM boxes is how many times loaded, getting to about 10 times and they don't need re-trimming yet. Not worth giving shop space to a dedicated trimmer.

If somebody loads & needs to trim for many different cartridges the Lee trimmers are an economical solution, economy I mean time & space as well as cost.

Boats

Edited by Boats

Kevin Lee makes a sort of collet chuck, has three blades that grab the case rim. Works pretty good too. I use it instead of the stud and collar arrangement that comes with the trimmer. Seems to have less run-out.

Look for 3 jaws on Ebay. My Jacobson for 1 1/2 " x 8 spindle was pretty reasonable. Of course one to fit your mill is going to be more elusive.

Boats

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Saw a Giraud/Gracey "look-a-like" on Sniper's Hide a guy made from a Flea Market bought sewing machine. Looked like it works pretty good too. I opted for the Gracey (that already had the Giraud upgrades installed for my main caliber .308), and got it used with two caliber setups for 1/2 price of a new one (I actually want(ed) the Giraud but it's 4-6 months for a new one and I haven't seen any used ones popping up lately), and I am getting complete (kinda like a quick change for a Dillon) replacement units (collet, shaft w/ adjusted cutters) for each caliber I trim so that I won't have to spend mondo time adjusting the cutters when I switch calibers. I'm still on the look out for a Giraud as they're supposed to be the bee's knees of trimmers..

I've got the Lee setups as a backup in case my main trimmer dies and considering they just released their .338LM casegauge, I can trim those while waiting for the changeovers from Gracey. At $4-$5 a pop, they're a good deal but the shellholder drives me batty sometimes. I've got the RCBS trimmate unit and was considering threading the Lee cutter (or shellholder) to one of the stations to convert it to a powered affair. It's either that or make a fixture for a drill or even the sewing machine thingie on SH... :P

I love tinkering and avoided buying one of the more expensive trimmers, but in the end it's like the primer filler, how much is one's time worth. For me it wasn't worth screwing around with initially and not having a trimmer to use, but now that I've got one, it may be time to start tinkering again as an option vs changing the Gracey/Giraud over for just a coupla hundred pieces of a different caliber that and even only for S&Gs ;)

Hello: I use a drill press with a Possum Hollow trimmer. It is fast and I can use the drill press for other stuff as well. Another idea I have been thinking of is using a bench grinder with a drill chuck mounted to the spindle. You could use a dimmer switch to control the speed. Bench grinders can be bought for really cheap now. Or you could mount a electric hand drill to a board using a hose clamp :surprise: I have also used my little lathe as well. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I use the LEE Case Trimmer for calibers I can't use my Dillon Power Trimmer for. I chuck the cutter with pilot in my CHEAP Harbor Freight Drill Press ($39 on sale). I then just chuck the shell in the holder which I have attached to an old drill chuck I had laying around. The old drill chuck makes a good handle to hold the shell up onto the cutter. I can trim 5-6 rounds per minute if I put my mind to it.

• 1 month later...

I just got a possum hollow with a power adaptor to play with and it looks great. one thing to consider is the possum hollow requires sizing before you can use it and it does not champfer the neck wich you will have to do if you are using flat base bullets. Most of my trimming is done on a dillon power trimmer in a 550. This setup is great I just have a dedicated tool head for it and it sizes and trims in one action. the advantage to the girraude is it is stand alone and if I'm not mistaken it trims and champfers in one pass.

Mule