Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my 550B...now questions?

TCB

I received my 550B from Brian the other day and have read threw the Lyman book allready and will be watching the video tonight. I still need to get components and was wondering how much I should have on hand. I'm wondering how much powder I need to load 1K of 45ACP if I am using 230gr FMJ bullets and N320 powder. I have been shooting Winchester white box 230gr and would like to load a similarly "feeling" round (but cleaner) I will be stocking up on this stuff as I can but it would be very helpfull to know what kind of ratio I need primers/bullets to powder. Will a LB of powder load 1K, 2K...? I have never done this before so thanks in advance for the info.

I will also be loading up 9MM for my Maw so the same info for that would be great...

Edited by TCB

I goggled grains to lbs it says 1 lb=7000 grains so find out what your load is and see how far a lb of powder will go, if you are loading 45 and 9 I would look to see if there was a powder that you could both use. Even though nothing else on your set up matches. You will need to change everything when changing calibers. I have around 10 lbs of powder, 7k primers, a bunch of brass, more is better.

A pound of powder has 7,000 grains. Divide your load into that and you'll know how many rounds a pound will load for your ammo. An example would be 7,000 divided by 4.5 for a 4.5 gr load equals 1,555 and a fraction, so you'd have over 1,500 rounds from a pound with that load.

Alan~^~

I received my 550B from Brian the other day and have read threw the Lyman book allready and will be watching the video tonight. I still need to get components and was wondering how much I should have on hand. I'm wondering how much powder I need to load 1K of 45ACP if I am using 230gr FMJ bullets and N230 powder. I have been shooting Winchester white box 230gr and would like to load a similarly "feeling" round (but cleaner) I will be stocking up on this stuff as I can but it would be very helpfull to know what kind of ratio I need primers/bullets to powder. Will a LB of powder load 1K, 2K...? I have never done this before so thanks in advance for the info.

I will also be loading up 9MM for my Maw so the same info for that would be great...

7000 grains = one pound. With V320 and about a 5.0-5.3 grain load should be around 700-800 FPS which would make major PF and be softer than white box. Fast burning powders with heavy bullets tend to feel snapper compared to slower burning powder with lighter bullets which feel more pushy or sluggish. What is best is personal preference.

So 7000/5.3=1320 Rounds for 1lb of powder. White box is generaly clean burning and Vit is one of the cleanest powders I have used so you should be good there also.

Edited: Took to long to write my post! 2 others beat me to it. :bow:

Edited by mda

I received my 550B from Brian the other day and have read threw the Lyman book allready and will be watching the video tonight. I still need to get components and was wondering how much I should have on hand. I'm wondering how much powder I need to load 1K of 45ACP if I am using 230gr FMJ bullets and N230 powder. I have been shooting Winchester white box 230gr and would like to load a similarly "feeling" round (but cleaner) I will be stocking up on this stuff as I can but it would be very helpfull to know what kind of ratio I need primers/bullets to powder. Will a LB of powder load 1K, 2K...? I have never done this before so thanks in advance for the info.

7000 grains = one pound. With V320 and about a 5.0-5.3 grain load should be around 700-800 FPS which would make major PF and be softer than white box. Fast burning powders with heavy bullets tend to feel snapper compared to slower burning powder with lighter bullets which feel more pushy or sluggish. What is best is personal preference.

So 7000/5.3=1320 Rounds for 1lb of powder. White box is generaly clean burning and Vit is one of the cleanest powders I have used so you should be good there also.

Edited: Took to long to write my post! 2 others beat me to it. :bow:

Thanks guys, so it looks like to be on the safe side I'm looking at roughly 1Lb for 1K+ rounds. It also looks like Clays and 231 are very popular and cleanish powders as well, If I'm going to loading for 45 & 9 with heavy fmj bullets what is my best option to get full power clean rounds and still save some $ over buying factory. I'll be shooting 500-1000 rnds per month. It seams like primers are just a "get whats available" kind of thing as ling as I stay with one of the "majors" (Federal,Win,Rem,CCI).

It seams like primers are just a "get whats available" kind of thing as ling as I stay with one of the "majors" (Federal,Win,Rem,CCI).

Or what isn't :) Dillon does have recommendations for preferred brands of primers, though.

Edited by larry cazes

In today's market it is more cost effective to buy at least 4 pounds of powder and 5K primers if you can find them. Same goes for 9mm. Look at a powder that you can load both cals. with.

Good luck and stay safe,

Richard

When I was shooting .45, I used 231, but it is not a clean burning powder, at least not in a load making major. As far as how much to have on hand, it depends on how much you're going to shoot. I've got 16lbs for .40, 16 for 7 BR, 10 for minor 9, 8 for major 9 and 8 for .223, but I'm down to about 16k primers for all of it. I've got a friend with 120,000 primers and 200+ pounds of powder, but he shoots a LOT!

I received my 550B from Brian the other day and have read threw the Lyman book allready and will be watching the video tonight. I still need to get components and was wondering how much I should have on hand. I'm wondering how much powder I need to load 1K of 45ACP if I am using 230gr FMJ bullets and N320 powder. I have been shooting Winchester white box 230gr and would like to load a similarly "feeling" round (but cleaner) I will be stocking up on this stuff as I can but it would be very helpfull to know what kind of ratio I need primers/bullets to powder. Will a LB of powder load 1K, 2K...? I have never done this before so thanks in advance for the info.

You will love the 550. The 231 meters very consistently. Rather smoky with lead, but no smoke with plated bullets.