Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 conversion units

In a side by side comparasion between the tactical solutions unit and the STI marvel unit what are the pros and cons. My main concern is the weight of the slide for a more real feel. Is the TS made of steel or aluminum? Second question is would an old colt ace conversion unit fit on a widebody sti

A Colt conversion will fit on a STI widebody with a 45 ejector. It will not go on with a 40 or 9mm/38 ejector. You will also have to use at least a couple of shock buffs because of the gap in the frame rails lets the extracor drop down when the slide goes back.

I had both the TS and Marvel. Both fit on my Wilson frame SS and both my SV wide bodies.

The TS has a mighty big bull barrel. It is deadly accurate. The cut down slide moves while the barrel essentially stays put.

I had multiple issues with the Marvel. It fit all my guns, but, you use a wrench to tighten the guide rod which snugs the receiver to the frame. So every time you take it off to clean it, you have to re-sight it. I found this to be a royal pain. No such problems with the TS.

The mags for the TS are expensive but they work great. I did not like the mags for the Marvel but that is really a personal thing. The guy I sold the Marvel to, likes the mags but hates the TS mags.

If you competition gun has a light main spring, you may get some mis-fires. I changed to like an 18 or 19 # and no problems.

I had to file the ejector on the first TS, I believe they now come with it filed.

Other than the first sighting in of the TS--not much of a problem switching from gun frame to gun frame.. When I shoot a 4 inch plate rack, I sometimes have to tune the rear sight a bit because there is no forgiveness on a .22 4in plate rack at 22 yrds.

I like the pistol conversion so much I ordered the AR unit also.

I have a Buckmark and Colt Match target, and they do not compare with the TS. It is great. Spend the money. It is always cheaper to buy the best.

Had to sent my Marvel back once but it worked great after that and was quite accurate. Needed money and sold it - DUMB. Marvel went on anything I tried it on. Just bought a Tac Sol. Will only go on one of my 1911's but that is all it takes. Haven't fired it yet. Will have to pick up different types of ammo to test. The Colt should go on your widebody but I'm not sure the mags will work. Marvel mags were Colt .22 conversion mags so you might have to go that way. Colt is not as accurate as most others. Kimber has a nice unit but don't have any experience with it or Ceiner.

FWIW

Richard

I bought an advantage arms conversion unit last month. Same price as all the others but it comes with a last shot hold open as well as a mag thats easy to load without special tools like the marvel.

I've got about 1500 rounds through it with 1 failure and thats using bulk remington golden bullets at 20 bucks for 550. I really like it so far.

I had a marvel on order but was told it would be a few weeks and happened upon this one in a gun shop.

I have a Marvel and have problems with one magazine in particular. I need to contact them and try to get a replacement. Overall I'd say it's "ok". I certainly don't see what all the hype is about when it comes to Marvel. Even with the good magazine it only works about 90% of the time.

Does anyone make a conversion for the XDm yet?

• 2 months later...
I have a Marvel and have problems with one magazine in particular. I need to contact them and try to get a replacement. Overall I'd say it's "ok". I certainly don't see what all the hype is about when it comes to Marvel. Even with the good magazine it only works about 90% of the time.

Does anyone make a conversion for the XDm yet?

Tactical Solutions is supposed to be working on a unit for the "XD"... whatever that means. Since there are several frame models for XD's I wouldn't bet on it being for an XDm at first since there are many more Service and Tacticals out there at this time, but you never know. Fall '09 was supposed to be the "target date".

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see anything mentioned about the STI conversion. I saw people running conversions at this weekends Steel Challenge and I like the idea of using my same holster, mag pouches, grip, etc. Although I didn't see a single conversion running "flawless". And for the cost of some of the conversions I could get a Ruger 22/45.

Thoughts?

~Mitch

edit: Just did some more searching to realize that the STI conversion and the Marvel are one and the same. Still looking for thoughts on conversion versus stand alone gun.

Edited by UW Mitch

Yeah, most problems associated with my TS have been either the mainspring was too light or the ammo was cheap.

CCI runs almlost flawlessly. I put a strong mainspring in my gun and problems went to zero.

Other problems can arise because cheaper ammo really gunks up the gun.

The slide on the TS is cut down, trimmed down, the barrel is a bul barrel. There is a noticable difference between my TS slide and my SV long body/slide. There is less difference between the TS slide and my other SV slide. There is even less difference between the TS and my single stack slide.

After the first few draws, you do not notice any difference in weight and balance.

The Ruger is nice but my triggers are far superior to anything Ruger can put into their gun. My triggers can not be duplicated by a Ruger and that makes a huge difference. HUGE.

I don't have either currently but I do have a Kimber conversion. I'm not a big Kimber fan but this thing just runs. One thing I find interesting about some people who get .22 conversions....they tend to want to buy the cheapest crap ammo they can and expect it to run 100%. Folks, .22 ammo isn't like centerfire ammo. A lot of it has to do with the priming compound. If its not good or put in the round well it won't go bang. By the good ammo and you should at least eliminate the ammo part out of the equation. CCI mini mags work great out my kimber conversion. Yeah they aren't the million round value packs but when I'm at a match I want the gun to run 100% PERIOD.

I don't have either currently but I do have a Kimber conversion. I'm not a big Kimber fan but this thing just runs. One thing I find interesting about some people who get .22 conversions....they tend to want to buy the cheapest crap ammo they can and expect it to run 100%. Folks, .22 ammo isn't like centerfire ammo. A lot of it has to do with the priming compound. If its not good or put in the round well it won't go bang. By the good ammo and you should at least eliminate the ammo part out of the equation. CCI mini mags work great out my kimber conversion. Yeah they aren't the million round value packs but when I'm at a match I want the gun to run 100% PERIOD.